Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Where were you when...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Where were you when...
Post by WLBjork   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:54 am

WLBjork
Commander

cthia wrote:
WLBjork wrote:2004. Just completed my Explorer Belt Challenge in Brazil, waiting to get on the plane to return to Blighty and visited the book shop for something to keep me entertained.

The only 2 that caught my eye were the novelisation of the Incredible Hulk movie or a book called "War of Honor" by some guy called David Weber. I could only afford one...

How did you make some a wise decision with such a daunting challenge?

"The force is strong with this one."

The David Weber one was thicker, so it would last me more of the flight :D

Not to mention that (a)I'd seen the movie, so WoH was completely fresh and (b)the brief on the back was far more eye-catching.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
WLBjork wrote:2004. Just completed my Explorer Belt Challenge in Brazil, waiting to get on the plane to return to Blighty and visited the book shop for something to keep me entertained.

The only 2 that caught my eye were the novelisation of the Incredible Hulk movie or a book called "War of Honor" by some guy called David Weber. I could only afford one...

How did you make some a wise decision with such a daunting challenge?

"The force is strong with this one."
WLBjork wrote:The David Weber one was thicker, so it would last me more of the flight :D

Not to mention that (a)I'd seen the movie, so WoH was completely fresh and (b)the brief on the back was far more eye-catching.

So it wasn't something as fascinating as the force but something far more primeval...

Economics. More bang for the buck. :lol:

I'm jealous that you can read on a plane. I cannot read inside any moving vehicle -- car, train or plane. It makes me dizzy and nauseous. Swings make me dizzy. Boats do not. Odd.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Frankjg   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:59 am

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Coming home from College. Had to switch buses at a shopping mall. Killing time in the book store there and reading some books. Picked up Short Victorious War, back in 1994. Took it home and read it. After that I was hooked.
Post by anmhyuri   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:00 pm

anmhyuri
Midshipman

I first started reading Honor Harrington in February of 1996 when I was in sixth grade. I was supposed to have been reading and turning in the number of pages I had read over a few months for a reading program at school and my teacher was giving us a grade for it. She took me aside one day to tell me she knew I was reading(I would regularly get told to put my book away and pay attention du), so I just needed to turn in something for February and she would give the grade for it.

My dad had just loaned me OBS(I don't know if I had read Insurrection, Crusade, Mutineer's Moon or Path of the Fury yet) So I read the first four books and turned in roughly 1100 pages for the month.

A few years after I moved out of my parents house, another one of the books was coming out and so I was going to reread the series for it. I decided to get my own copies and took my then girlfriend and armed with hoarded giftcards we went to Barnes and Nobles and I bought almost the entire series(they were missing one of the anthologies and I have a ebook of it from the cd). She was laughing at me having them stacked all the up my arm and the grin on my face.

A few years ago, I got, for my dad, a copy of OBS signed by RFC with a personal note from him that talked about what I had told him about my dad and I reading them together and growing up with them.

I thing one thing that really stands in my memory is the first time reading Field of Dishonor. I didn't much care for the politics and seemingly lack of action of the previous books at 12 years old and then rereading it in my 20's realizing how vital that one was to everything else in the story in so many ways.

Just thinking about reading that brought to mind the death of Andrew and how much it hit me watching it happen and still does every time I have reread the whole thing. Which I will be doing again soon, of course. Got some time though March is a little ways away.
Post by senna   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:43 pm

senna
Ensign

Was loaned the first 3 HH books by my dad, decided to start reading OBS whilst waiting for my Eng lit GCSE to start back in '01 my English teacher was not amused :D
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:22 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

found first 3 books in a book store in 2002 when i was looking to spend some b'day money on a new books.

they were not baen prints and did not make it clear that they were the first 3 books in the same series. so i picked one at random and bought SVW been devouring everything writes ever since. well except for out of the dark i've heard some very strange things about that one and to be honest the basic plot has just never really interested me.

Return to Honorverse