Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests

The logistics of SLN commerce raiding

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The logistics of SLN commerce raiding
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:17 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

I don't know where you pulled this one from, because I surely would never have thought of it. But it's brilliant, if the RMN could pull it off. Can you imagine the blow to League morale if the RMN began a campaign to relieve the SLN of captured prizes? Not to mention that it is funny as hell! Poor saps on board who have already spent (lost) the prize money, gambling on the way back. :lol: Can't stop laughing.

"STOP! Thank you for taking our ships on a scenic tour. But we're going to have to insist that you give them back. Though we'd rather hope you make us take them."

The SLN prize crew would be none other than captured pirates caught in the act with the evidence and caught in their own space, implicating said planet of conspiracy to support piracy.

Forcing the SLN prize crew to abandon ship in their own system is just embarrassing. Then addressing the system to "Come and collect your trash" hath balls to taunt the obese bear.

Thanks for the imagery ldwechsler.[/quote]

You are welcome. I will accept all medals in the spirit offered.

That's the advantage the GA now has. They have the best tech, they have some items the Sollies don't even know about yet.
And the Sollies have a huge number of planets to defend while the GA has fewer.

Keep in mind that most people in the League owe their loyalty to their planet and to their business, not to the League. There are real limitations once the "rubber hits the road" so to speak. Businesses want to function and people don't like being limited to their own planets. And probably few people like the mandarins at all. They don't campaign; they just rule.

Think of the US government; we know the politicians. They talk to us. The bureaucrats do what they want. The mandarins are bureaucrats.
Post by kzt   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:42 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:Keep in mind that most people in the League owe their loyalty to their planet and to their business, not to the League. There are real limitations once the "rubber hits the road" so to speak. Businesses want to function and people don't like being limited to their own planets. And probably few people like the mandarins at all. They don't campaign; they just rule.

Think of the US government; we know the politicians. They talk to us. The bureaucrats do what they want. The mandarins are bureaucrats.

I will point out that somewhat less than 5% of US citizens took an overseas trip last year. Most US voters wouldn't have their lives significantly impacted if they couldn't ever travel to Paris. And I'm pretty sure that it's a lot less in the Honorverse given that 6 hours on a plane each way is almost certainly both easier to arrange and cheaper than several weeks each way.

Some people will travel long distances a lot, true. Some people traveled long distances a lot in 1717 too. But a lot less than in 2017.

So don't get all hysterical about how this won't be tolerated.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:Keep in mind that most people in the League owe their loyalty to their planet and to their business, not to the League. There are real limitations once the "rubber hits the road" so to speak. Businesses want to function and people don't like being limited to their own planets. And probably few people like the mandarins at all. They don't campaign; they just rule.

I will point out that somewhat less than 5% of US citizens took an overseas trip last year. Most US voters wouldn't have their lives significantly impacted if they couldn't ever travel to Paris. And I'm pretty sure that it's a lot less in the Honorverse given that 6 hours on a plane each way is almost certainly both easier to arrange and cheaper than several weeks each way.

Some people will travel long distances a lot, true. Some people traveled long distances a lot in 1717 too. But a lot less than in 2017.

However, about 43% of the U.S. population own a passport. There's a big difference between only travelling occasionally and not being able to travel at all. Then you've got the section of the population who bring the number of trips up to 60 million plus, because they are making frequent business trips. They're the ones likely to scream their heads off about the economic damage.

Admittedly Manticore has its multiple junctions, but interstellar travel seems to be within the reach of ordinary families. It may be a once in a lifetime type thing, but there's textev of people studying and vacationing in other star systems. Earth is specifically mentioned as being about a weeks travel from Beowulf - basically, think about as accessible as Europe from the US in 1901. Then look up how many Americans were in Europe back then - and think about the influence of rich, annoyed Ivy League types who can't take their Grand Tour, run their business or send their kids for a semester in a Beowulf college.
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:

Bluesqueak wrote:However, about 43% of the U.S. population own a passport. There's a big difference between only travelling occasionally and not being able to travel at all. Then you've got the section of the population who bring the number of trips up to 60 million plus, because they are making frequent business trips. They're the ones likely to scream their heads off about the economic damage.

Admittedly Manticore has its multiple junctions, but interstellar travel seems to be within the reach of ordinary families. It may be a once in a lifetime type thing, but there's textev of people studying and vacationing in other star systems. Earth is specifically mentioned as being about a weeks travel from Beowulf - basically, think about as accessible as Europe from the US in 1901. Then look up how many Americans were in Europe back then - and think about the influence of rich, annoyed Ivy League types who can't take their Grand Tour, run their business or send their kids for a semester in a Beowulf college.

Absolutely. If I might add...

A week is nothing. There are people traveling coast to coast that takes them about a week with family. Driving straight through coast to coast from North Carolina to California takes about 3 days. With family, kids, frequent stops, overnight stays, about a week. Also, many of the many people who do not travel in the US have family members — friends, sons and daughters, who do.

More importantly is the Berlin Effect. Families are still reeling from the effect of the Berlin Wall. I dated a German girl whose family gave me horror stories that brought me to tears. One day there's travel back and forth. The next day, friends and family and loved ones are cut off from each other, never to be seen or heard from again. I would imagine that Lacoon II literally stranded people. Which ran up the cost of transport beyond what some people could afford -- especially teenagers. Supply and demand.

Moreover, I imagine the cost of transport — factoring in said supply and demand and the skyrocketing cost of insurance of travel to a "war zone" — made travel prohibitively expensive. If transport can be found. Oh, people will be screaming bloody murder for certain. As was with the erection of the Berlin Wall, some of their family, friends and loved ones will never be seen again. Reading about the wall and hearing about the wall first hand is two different things. Witnessing first hand — up close and personal — tears that are as fresh as yesterday, is sobering and cannot be found in a history book.

Plus. You can't compare the realities of mindsets that far into the future with those of today's. That kind of travel may very well be the norm in affluent star systems. Just like we cannot scoff at the idea of the willingness of someone like a Pavel Young to accept a duel instead of rejecting it.

Different times, calls for different w[hi i]nes.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Not to mention field trips of the rich -- and the affluent, exclusive schools. I remember a school trip -- my first school trip -- that was only for a day, to see the Battleship North Carolina. That trip is the reason reading anything regarding CIC is so thrilling and intimate to me. That was sixth grade. Ninth grade, final year of junior high was an overnight trip to our nations capital, which was nothing to me because I had a sister that lived there and I had been all over Capitol Hill. My sister arranged for my entire class to see money being printed. Which was not previously on the list. My senior year had escalated into a weekend trip to Niagara Falls for the top 50 students and dates. Which was also nothing to me because I had even seen it from the Canadian side. But my date hadn't seen it, and I was like a guide to the entire class. A hero of sorts. In the Honorverse, I can imagine there are school trips out of system. Or summer camps for the rich kids on certain planets.

Then comes Lacoon II right smack dab in the middle of the fun.

Phucking pesky Manticorans!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:00 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote: ... In the Honorverse, I can imagine there are school trips out of system. Or summer camps for the rich kids on certain planets.

Then comes Lacoon II right smack dab in the middle of the fun.

Phucking pesky Manticorans!

ROFL
IRRC (highly doubtful) Lacoon 2 closed wormholes to SL registered hulls. What a boon for enterprising leasing companies. Lease Hauptmann Cartel Passenger liners, reregiser them through Erewhon,and pick up all those stranded high school kids.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by drothgery   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:However, about 43% of the U.S. population own a passport. There's a big difference between only travelling occasionally and not being able to travel at all. Then you've got the section of the population who bring the number of trips up to 60 million plus, because they are making frequent business trips. They're the ones likely to scream their heads off about the economic damage.

Though I suspect that percentage was quite a bit lower when you could travel to Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean countries without a passport (and League citizens will, for the most part, be able to do the equivalent of that).
Post by Relax   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:

Though I suspect that percentage was quite a bit lower when you could travel to Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean countries without a passport (and League citizens will, for the most part, be able to do the equivalent of that).

If one removes travel to the Caribbean, Mexico, and Canada, people in the USA rarely travel anywhere else. 67Million traveled abroad in 2016.... of that total almost 40% was to Mexico. roughly 20% was to Canada. 10% was to the Caribbean. So, of the 67Million who traveled 70% never went outside the USA sphere of influence. So, in effect roughly speaking 20million out of 350Million traveled overseas where the travel time is measured generally speaking in less than 24 hours one way and typical is probably around 8 to 12 hours.

The real question, of that 20 million, how many went for more than 2 weeks? I would bet less than 1% and I would also bet the majority of those were retired.

An aside:
I get a good laugh at the Europeans who say they travel. Ask them if they have children(most don't, the USA does and why they are importing people by the million because they have voted for themselves lavish pensions without having any children to enslave to their pensions), then the number of people who travel drops drastically. At most most Europeans who have children never leave the Shengen zone. Just as most with children never leave the USA proper. IT costs too much and takes too much time. In regards to the Honorverse, Prolong by now would assure that more people would travel as they have more time and $$$ without children to complicate things. So, in Honorverse terms, I could see MORE people traveling due to lack of children. Now what percentage of the population this is? Well...

A world is a vast place. No one even if they traveled 24/7 for their entire life could see what is on planet earth let alone what is on other planets so, honestly I think the "mass interplanetary travel" is a complete bunch of BS. Of course the countervailing principle is that humans always see the grass greener on the other side of the fence. So....
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:06 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Relax wrote:
drothgery wrote:

If one removes travel to the Caribbean, Mexico, and Canada, people in the USA rarely travel anywhere else. 67Million traveled abroad in 2016.... of that total almost 40% was to Mexico. roughly 20% was to Canada. 10% was to the Caribbean. So, of the 67Million who traveled 70% never went outside the USA sphere of influence. So, in effect roughly speaking 20million out of 350Million traveled overseas where the travel time is measured generally speaking in less than 24 hours one way and typical is probably around 8 to 12 hours.

The real question, of that 20 million, how many went for more than 2 weeks? I would bet less than 1% and I would also bet the majority of those were retired.

An aside:
I get a good laugh at the Europeans who say they travel. Ask them if they have children(most don't, the USA does and why they are importing people by the million because they have voted for themselves lavish pensions without having any children to enslave to their pensions), then the number of people who travel drops drastically. At most most Europeans who have children never leave the Shengen zone. Just as most with children never leave the USA proper. IT costs too much and takes too much time. In regards to the Honorverse, Prolong by now would assure that more people would travel as they have more time and $$$ without children to complicate things. So, in Honorverse terms, I could see MORE people traveling due to lack of children. Now what percentage of the population this is? Well...

A world is a vast place. No one even if they traveled 24/7 for their entire life could see what is on planet earth let alone what is on other planets so, honestly I think the "mass interplanetary travel" is a complete bunch of BS. Of course the countervailing principle is that humans always see the grass greener on the other side of the fence. So....

There is both more and less interstellar passenger travel in the Honorverse than I think some people are assuming.

For the majority of star systems, who don’t have handy wormholes they can pop across anytime they choose, interstellar travel is definitely more than a day trip or a transatlantic flight. For somebody living in Manticore for example, a trip to Beowulf is literally a day trip, effectively as brief as a trip from Manticore or Sphinx to Gryphon, or a flight from New York to Paris or — at worst — from Tacoma to Taiwan. That’s one reason there’s been so much intermarriage between Beowulfers and Manticorans over the centuries.

Pleasure travel between star systems is relatively limited, outside those “daytrip” destinations. It’s no more expensive than a ticket on a present day cruise ship would be. Indeed, relative to levels of disposable Honorverse income, it’s a lot cheaper. But the cost is still substantial, and climbing onto a starship for a trip that’s going to take anywhere up to a month or two to reach its destination puts sort of a hole in one’s normal activities (and employment). Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, because it does, but it’s pretty much a fringe element in interstellar travel and commerce and it is much more concentrated among the particularly affluent.

There’s quite a bit of what I think of as “professional travel” — travel by business executives, technicians being shipped out to one of the transstellars’ satellite operations, OFS personnel being sent to new postings, diplomatic personnel, etc. In fact, there’s a lot of that, since we are talking about an interstellar commercial and business network which has had literally centuries to grow up, as opposed to our own current day transnational operations which have really only been growing since the first half of the twentieth century.

And, finally, there’s a whole lot of ongoing emigration. The Fringe continues to absorb a lot of new citizens every year as people who were Solarians (or unfortunate enough to be citizens of one of the star systems ruled by its homegrown kleptocracy or which have been handed over to OFS cronies). I think there was a question about this on one of the other threads, and the answer is that, yes, the “frontier” is still being extended by “hearty pioneer stock” — i.e., people who have “voted with their feet” on the state of affairs on the planets of their birth.

Now, Lacoön Two is designed to close wormholes to Solarian traffic. Manticoran shipping has been called home from the League’s territory; it’s still busy flowing around the Fringe and the Verge, however. So even though a wormhole’s been seized, that doesn’t necessarily mean that nothing is passing through it. Moreover, the Star Empire was aware from the beginning that shutting down the wormholes was going to have an impact on Solarian citizens and (presumably) on Solarian public opinion. So they have been at some pains to allow local traffic through the wormholes even in the League, although that traffic is no longer moving in Solarian-registered bottoms. That is, some of those freighters and passenger vessels otherwise idled by Lacoön are being employed to move critical humanitarian cargoes, private citizens, etc., back and forth through the termini. You can get to any star system served by a wormhole aboard a Solarian ship; you just can’t then travel through the wormhole aboard that same ship. For that matter, quite a few “Manticoran” ships have been quietly purchased by the Crown (often as a way to indemnify owner-operators against the catastrophic financial consequences of both Lacoön phases) for lease or sale to private owners or government entities in the star systems affected by Lacoön Two which are not member systems of the League. Some systems have taken advantage of this; others have decided that doing so would get them on the League’s . . . bad side, shall we say?

A point that has to be borne in mind is that Lacoön Two is waging economic warfare on a limited segment of the Core Worlds’ populations. This is hurting the transstellars, it’s hurting the shipping lines, it’s hurting the people whose earnings are directly related to ongoing interstellar commerce, but those are all a relatively small proportion of any Core World’s population. In many cases — especially in systems dominated by one or a group of transstellars — the proportion is much higher and the general economic impact is far greater, but that’s fine with the Manties, because those people were already going to be in the Mandarins' pocket where anything designed to prune back the Star Empire’s dominance of the interstellar carrying trade was concerned. In other words, they were going to be vociferously agitating for the SEM to have the snot knocked out of it, no matter what.

Because of this, the impact on the overall Solarian economy is a lot more limited than one might think. Oh, it’s going to be significant in the long run, but that kind of pinch is going to take a while to ramp up in the case of most of the League’s member systems. For most of the League’s citizens, it’s going to mean an increase in the cost of living coupled with a decrease in buying power and its likely to generate a moderate recession overall. For some systems — again, those whose economies are dominated by transstellars deeply dependent upon the interstellar movement of goods, people, and services — the effect will be far, far worse. But, again, the people in those star systems would want Manticore’s scalp no matter what.

The true target of Lacoön Two isn’t the League’s economy as a whole. Frankly, the best that Manticore could hope for where the overall League economy is concerned would be to produce a severe recession — maybe even a general depression — until sufficient Solarian tonnage was built to service the League’s internal markets even with the substantially longer voyage times loss of the termini will impose. Lacoön Two’s target, however, is the federal government’s revenue stream, given the Constitutional prohibition against funding the federal government with anything except service fees. It was clearly intended by the Founders that those service fees would be earned solely from the League’s primary designed function as a regulator of interstellar commerce and movement. In addition to traffic control fees and duties on imports, exports, and freight handling, all Solarian-registered vessels pay an annual “inspection and certification” fee to the federal government. Without being inspected and certified, they lose their registrations and the right to transit Solarian space. (This, by the way, is another reason the Mandarins resent the Star Empire of Manticore. Essentially, the Star Kingdom told them long ago that Manticore would inspect and certify its own shipping and that the Solarian League could either accept the Manticoran certification or have all Solarian ships decertified in Manticoran space . . . or transiting the Junction. This means, among other things, that a sizable income stream is denied to the federal coffers.) The consequences of all of the above are that a good-sized chunk of the Mandarins revenue stream comes from sources directly tied to the steady, free movement of interstellar shipping. By closing down the wormholes, Manticore effectively cuts that entire revenue stream off at the knees. Oh, there’s still some internal shipping, but without the Manticoran merchies which carried a lot of it, there is far less and what there is of it takes much longer to reach its destination, which means that even the shipping which still exists is paying much less in the way of fees.

The second source of the federal government’s economy are the “fees” charged the Protectorates in return for OFS’s benign oversight of their star systems. This has become both a steadily growing component of the League government’s income as the Protectorates grew and a steadily more important component as Manticoran dominance of interstellar shipping cut deeper into service fees generated by interstellar commerce. This is the entire reason the Mandarins will not – cannot — reform the situation in the Protectorates . . . and the thing that makes/will make them view the "Manticoran" agent provocateur of Operation Janus as only one more aspect of the existential threat to their existence.

So the basic strategy of the Star Empire — which has been endorsed and embraced by its Allies — has been to kill the Solarian government’s solvency while killing as few Solarian citizens as possible. Hopefully, this will bring about a collapse of the Mandarins and the ungoverned, corrupt bureaucracy which has driven and controlled Solarian policy for the last several centuries. At the very least, that would give the Grand Alliance the opportunity to negotiate with a new set of ministers who presumably wouldn’t be as thoroughly captive to the existing system. A better outcome would be the outright collapse of the bureaucratic system of government and a reassertion of control by elected, accountable ministers rather than the permanent senior undersecretaries. Ideally, it will also result in the secession of a substantial number of the less satisfied member systems of the League coupled with the collapse of the League’s dominance in the present Protectorates.

Whether or not their strategy will have the outcome(s) they want is something of which they can’t be certain, and something over which there’s been a fair amount of debate behind the scenes. What they are trying, above all, to accomplish, however, is to limit the massive destruction and loss of life which would attend any general Alliance offensive into the League. They aren’t afraid that they couldn’t carry out exactly that sort of offensive; they simply realize that the level of carnage involved would be morally abhorrent and unacceptable and that the hatred engendered among the survivors in systems where that carnage occurred would be impossible to overestimate.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by kzt   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:40 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Short term effects on general economy would depend on how reliant people got on timely arrival of parts from other systems. At one point the ideal for manufacturing plants in the US was to have literally hours of parts on hand. So a trip suddenly taking 4 weeks instead of 2 weeks has drastic impacts if you do that.

However as interstellar trade is conducted in vessels carrying more like 6 million tons rather than by 20 ton trailers I would expect that in general people with off-world supply chains would have sizable warehouses full of equipment and parts with weeks or months between shipments, not hours.

Past the short term, well there are now more shipments than ships, and the mean trip also takes longer. So midterm rates go up and low value cargoes don't get shipped. People expecting their 6 million tons of sand are going to be out of luck and have to find alternate in-system suppliers or go out of busisness.

In the long term (years) eventually more ships will get built if something doesn't upset that outcome.

Return to Honorverse