Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests

The logistics of SLN commerce raiding

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The logistics of SLN commerce raiding
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Fortunately for me, RFCs latest snippet supplies such a node... Technodyne. There must be other similar military soft spots as well.

Technodyne -- at least their facilities at Yildun -- are already on the priority target list. At least they should be. Not particularly because they are a prime supplier to the SLN, but because they were directly involved at Monica and on the Mesa Board of Directors.

Technodyne's military production facilities are a legitimate target for a variety of reasons. Their toaster and washing machine factories in the Wolf Cluster (or whatever and wherever they build stuff for civilians) isn't a legitimate military target.

cthia wrote:BUT! Admittedly! Since one of you may be adopted, I might as well admit that I'm in favor of sending Eighth Fleet into Solarian space and asking for a surrender.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Surrender of an intact Solarian League is the LAST thing the GA should be working for. The only route to long-term survival is the dissolution of the Solarian League.

The Sol System has a few legitimate military targets, like the SLN base at Mars or the BF Reserve. Conquest and Occupation of the Mars Base might be how Honor meets Kingsford face to face, but otherwise anything in the Sol system has "Public Relations Armor."

There's not really anything leaving the Sol system except orders. The threat is the BF and FF units executing those orders. All of the action and priority targets are elsewhere.

What exactly is the importance of the Mars base? Manufacturing? Training? It's probably simply a front for rich, sick sexual deviants. I wouldn't be surprised if many Mesan slaves are found there.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:
? wrote:
The Sol System has a few legitimate military targets, like the SLN base at Mars or the BF Reserve. Conquest and Occupation of the Mars Base might be how Honor meets Kingsford face to face, but otherwise anything in the Sol system has "Public Relations Armor."

There's not really anything leaving the Sol system except orders. The threat is the BF and FF units executing those orders. All of the action and priority targets are elsewhere.

Occupations of Mars base falls under the heading of A REALLY BAD IDEA. You want to put feet on the ground at the next planet out in the same system as EARTH? Your people are all going to die down there if you do that.

I might even go along with a deep raid that shot any SLN warship it could from just outside the hyper-limit (and hang around with hot nodes just long enough for all those deeper in the gravity well to "have" to rise to the bait or be branded cowards by all those uptanding SL citizens on Earth watching the miserable performance of the 800lb syphilitic gorilla with dementia) before moving on to better hunting grounds.
Brings to mind the taunting scene from "The Holy Grail" Your mother was a hampster and your father smells of Elderberry wine!!!

I'm with you on that one Brigade XO. Occupying the Mars Base seems counterproductive and dangerous. Wrecking it, OTOH...

However, I see scrapping the Mars Base as falling directly under violation of that fragile rice paper bearing the Harrington Doctrine.

Media coverage of the event on Old Earth will meltdown HD sets by the thousands!

NEWSFLASH!

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to bring you this new development...

The nasty barbarians have overrun the Mars base. One of the oldest bases in League territory. In the Mother System.

"Oh no they didn't!!!"

If the RMN invites themselves to dinner inside the Sol system, it should be to demand surrender, or to demand surrender.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:26 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

What exactly is the importance of the Mars base? Manufacturing? Training? It's probably simply a front for rich, sick sexual deviants. I wouldn't be surprised if many Mesan slaves are found there.[/quote]

The Mars Base is the logistics command for the entire fleet. Rajani was out there a lot. It is a key center for planning.

I greatly doubt there are a lot of slaves there. Manpower's slaves were kept on special planets. Having them on Terra or on a key base could lead to major problems. What happens if a genetic slaves escapes the base and gets to Earth? Would that person be free? Sending a slave back would be a real black eye for leaders.

But it is a key base. And it is in space which means it is a legit target. And if there's fighting, the navy can destroy it along with every key logistics person in the League. That should mess things up completely.

And if it surrenders, imagine what could be found in its computer records.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
cthia wrote:What exactly is the importance of the Mars base? Manufacturing? Training? It's probably simply a front for rich, sick sexual deviants. I wouldn't be surprised if many Mesan slaves are found there.

The Mars Base is the logistics command for the entire fleet. Rajani was out there a lot. It is a key center for planning.

I greatly doubt there are a lot of slaves there. Manpower's slaves were kept on special planets. Having them on Terra or on a key base could lead to major problems. What happens if a genetic slaves escapes the base and gets to Earth? Would that person be free? Sending a slave back would be a real black eye for leaders.

But it is a key base. And it is in space which means it is a legit target. And if there's fighting, the navy can destroy it along with every key logistics person in the League. That should mess things up completely.

And if it surrenders, imagine what could be found in its computer records.

The base around Mars is called Hyperion one. It is the main node of the SLN BattleFleet and the largest reserve fleet formation.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:The base around Mars is called Hyperion one. It is the main node of the SLN BattleFleet and the largest reserve fleet formation.

Might be a good target for a few c-frac Mistletoe drones. The base simply blows up with no indication of a threat, followed by Eighth Fleet announcing it's presence and calling for Sol to surrender.
Post by kzt   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:46 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:
Occupations of Mars base falls under the heading of A REALLY BAD IDEA. You want to put feet on the ground at the next planet out in the same system as EARTH? Your people are all going to die down there if you do that.

I might even go along with a deep raid that shot any SLN warship it could from just outside the hyper-limit (and hang around with hot nodes just long enough for all those deeper in the gravity well to "have" to rise to the bait or be branded cowards by all those uptanding SL citizens on Earth watching the miserable performance of the 800lb syphilitic gorilla with dementia) before moving on to better hunting grounds.
Brings to mind the taunting scene from "The Holy Grail" Your mother was a hampster and your father smells of Elderberry wine!!!

Nah, what could go wrong with an MP battalion occupying New Chicago? If the civilians threaten them you just use kiloton scale KEWs to protect your troops. See, simple. What could possibly go wrong?
Post by filbert   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:41 pm

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

Is a complete blockade of the Sol system within the capabilities of the GA?
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:13 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:What exactly is the importance of the Mars base?

About the same importance as the "Puzzle Palace" to the US military. It is where Strategy and Tactics are codified and sent out to subordinate command centers/bases.

Hyperion One, in Mars Orbit, is clearly a legitimate military target. Not necessarily a wise one, but a target worth escalating to under the right circumstances. It would effectively decapitate the SLN and stop any new orders for atrocities and provide evidence of past orders for atrocities.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

filbert wrote:Is a complete blockade of the Sol system within the capabilities of the GA?

Probably. A couple of wings of LACs plus one or two SD(P)s with lots of spare pods.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Eagleeye   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:32 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Weird Harold wrote:
filbert wrote:Is a complete blockade of the Sol system within the capabilities of the GA?

Probably. A couple of wings of LACs plus one or two SD(P)s with lots of spare pods.

To block the solar system. you have to block not a ring, but a sphere from immediately outside or maybe even just inside the stellar hyperlimit - if you don't want to occupy the orbits of all planets and moons inside it. Which is the last thing you want to do, because of the often mentioned political ramifications. So, hyperlimit it is. But that's a huge volume of space to control; I'm not sure, if the RMN or its allies have the forces to do that. And then there is the question, if there are military installations (or even fleet bases) outside the stellar hyperlimit, for example on the bigger moons of the gas giants. or in the orbit around them. They would need blocking forces, too ...

Return to Honorverse