Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

The logistics of SLN commerce raiding

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The logistics of SLN commerce raiding
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:26 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Those were Battle Fleet officers rubbing their hands. Battle Fleet is chronically short of lighter units. On the other hand they have hundreds and hundreds of SDs they can't use in a formal battle setting. I'm guessing they can still outrun merchies (?) Does it change the game and force evaluations somewhat if the SLN start using SDs for commerce and system raiding? One or two DDs or CAs are not going to be sufficient to stand up to them I think. And they carry enough supplies and have enough resiliency to keep going for a good while. Normally it would be a silly strategy, but these are not normal times.
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:The SLN does not know how to pack for the trip. And even if they did, they don't have the correct attire to wear. Their ships will virtually be naked.

I think Frontier Fleet is more than capable of "packing for the trip." They are used to extended deployments, have a contingency plan for commerce raiding/piracy that they've apparently used more than once.

Battle Fleet probably doesn't have the knowledge or ships for effective commerce raiding, and Adm Crandall was (sarcastically) lauded for proving that BF ships actually could make it to the verge under their own power. :roll:

I suspect that BF formations will disperse to FF bases and take over the intimidation and suppression of client states while sending all FF assets off to the Haven Sector and commerce raiding.
Do pardon my boldness to call attention.

Not unless they picked up a few more of their industries' latest tricks and innovations coming off of their Red Carpet. Does the SLN even have a Red Carpet showcasing the latest innovative wardrobe -- the equivalent of Shannon or Sonja producing clothing for their current nakedness? The Havenites Red Carpet produced and showcased the latest Peep breakthroughs with Sonja coming up with The Tripple Ripple, The Donkey, LACs, a Q-ship, their own pods, Moriarty, increased fire control and probably many other innovations were showcased on the Peep's Red Carpet that I've missed.

The Red Carpet is the area to showcase one's latest innovations to the navy. Does the League even have a Red Carpet showcasing the latest wardrobe for their navy and ships?

Here's hoping that Frontier Fleet showcases something new.

If not. Then how can they possibly "dress & pack for the occasion?" There are no latest outfits showcased, and their current wardrobe has gone out of style.

Though the GA are going to turn their carpet quite red.

Last edited by cthia on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:58 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:The SLN does not know how to pack for the trip. And even if they did, they don't have the correct attire to wear. Their ships will virtually be naked.

I think Frontier Fleet is more than capable of "packing for the trip." They are used to extended deployments, have a contingency plan for commerce raiding/piracy that they've apparently used more than once.

Battle Fleet probably doesn't have the knowledge or ships for effective commerce raiding, and Adm Crandall was (sarcastically) lauded for proving that BF ships actually could make it to the verge under their own power. :roll:

I suspect that BF formations will disperse to FF bases and take over the intimidation and suppression of client states while sending all FF assets off to the Haven Sector and commerce raiding.[/quote]Do pardon my boldness to call attention.

Not unless they picked up a few more of their industries' latest tricks and innovations coming off of their Red Carpet. Does the SLN even have a Red Carpet showcasing the latest innovative wardrobe -- the equivalent of Shannon or Sonja producing answers to their latest problems? The Havenites Red Carpet produced and showcased the latest Peep breakthroughs with Sonja coming up with The Tripple Ripple, The Donkey, LACs, a Q-ship, their own pods, Moriarty, increased fire control and probably many other innovations were showcased on the Peep's Red Carpet that I've missed.

The Red Carpet is the area to showcase one's latest innovations to the navy. Does the League even have a Red Carpet showcasing the latest wardrobe for their navy and ships?

If not. Then how can they possibly "dress & pack for the occasion?" There are no latest outfits showcased, and their current wardrobe has gone out of style.

Though the GA are going to turn their carpet quite red.[/quote]

Sending SD's would use supplies to an even greater degree. Remember that the SD's for the Sollies use very large crews. They have to be fed. They can not use the junction. It is likely that most fast supply ships went with Filareta so he could be resupplied. They will be gone.

So if an SD or two goes out and does not find ships loaded with food they might start running out. If locations are found for resupply, the GA might locate them and capture the raiders as they come in and retake their prizes.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

I suspect that BF formations will disperse to FF bases and take over the intimidation and suppression of client states while sending all FF assets off to the Haven Sector and commerce raiding.
Do pardon my boldness to call attention.

Not unless they picked up a few more of their industries' latest tricks and innovations coming off of their Red Carpet. Does the SLN even have a Red Carpet showcasing the latest innovative wardrobe -- the equivalent of Shannon or Sonja producing answers to their latest problems? The Havenites Red Carpet produced and showcased the latest Peep breakthroughs with Sonja coming up with The Tripple Ripple, The Donkey, LACs, a Q-ship, their own pods, Moriarty, increased fire control and probably many other innovations were showcased on the Peep's Red Carpet that I've missed.

Though the GA are going to turn their carpet quite red.[/quote]

Sending SD's would use supplies to an even greater degree. Remember that the SD's for the Sollies use very large crews. They have to be fed. They can not use the junction. It is likely that most fast supply ships went with Filareta so he could be resupplied. They will be gone.

So if an SD or two goes out and does not find ships loaded with food they might start running out. If locations are found for resupply, the GA might locate them and capture the raiders as they come in and retake their prizes.[/quote]

One way the SLN could hurt the GA is by studying how they protect their merchies. For example, in Silesia, after the Manties took control, they instituted a policy to protect al merchies who followed the rules.

Namely, they defined the volume of space that was most likely the volume merchants would use to translate in and out of hyper for a least time travel to the planet. This oval on the ecliptic would have a stealthed cruiser in it with a shoal of MDM pods, a heavy seeding of drones, and a bunch of LACs swimming randomly through it’s volume using high levels of stealth. The Corridor to and from the planet would also be traversed by LACs sortieing and returning from the hyperlimit patrols, as well as patrolling and departing warships. Manticore has transmitted this plan to all merchies – if you do not use the protected corridor and translation volume, you have less protection. Quickly, all legitimate merchies used the protected volumes, and the remaining pirates had no targets in Manty space.

In addition, of course, are the system observing drones, and the system defenses- inside the hyperlimit, or surrounding any structures outside the hyperlimit.

Now, how could the SLN use this to it’s advantage?

Choosing the most backwater RMN planet, I would translate on the far side of the star from the planet, from out from the hyperlimit. Slowly, with full stealth, I would make my way around the system to the translation volume, skimming just inside the hyper limit so that I enter the volume from behind, but not through the corridor. Assuming just 1 cruiser/pod setup, You know the cruiser has to be somewhere near the center of the volume in order to cover it all without moving. Waiting until the last second to bring up full power, the force bum rushes the probable cruiser location. Assuming the cruiser is taken without warnng, the SLN fore take minimal loses, then starts to swat LACs. If any larger force shows up, it can scoot across the hyperlimit and escape.

Of course, this is all a bust if someone sees you. But what else are you going to do.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:14 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The what else is the SL issues letters of Marque and Repisa to all who want theml. Say each SLN can find 10 suckers, I mean, adventures per SL world?
Post by kzt   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:58 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:44 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:The what else is the SL issues letters of Marque and Repisa to all who want theml. Say each SLN can find 10 suckers, I mean, adventures per SL world?

Not really workable. More likely most of the attacks would be within the Solarian League or at least the old League. Letters of marque work well if the privateers don't have to go to far.

Also I get the impression that most worlds in the League don't have modern navies. Sending old smaller ships might be suicide. Also, with a limited number of worlds in the GA, they would be crowded until a GA fleet came along and just might wipe them out as pirates.

It is far more likely that privateers would attack ships inside the League where things would be safer but would really mess up trade even more.
Post by kzt   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:53 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:Not really workable. More likely most of the attacks would be within the Solarian League or at least the old League. Letters of marque work well if the privateers don't have to go to far.

Francis Drake became wealthy beyond his wildest dreams as a privateer raiding Africa and the other side of the Atlantic. Which was hardly a short or trivial trip in 1563.
Post by Nyssa   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:34 pm

Nyssa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

We remember Drake because he was exceptional. It didn't hurt that he had the superior vessel. Plans that depend on finding several exceptional individuals, right now, go beyond risky into suicidal.
Post by kzt   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:34 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Nyssa wrote:We remember Drake because he was exceptional. It didn't hurt that he had the superior vessel. Plans that depend on finding several exceptional individuals, right now, go beyond risky into suicidal.

SLN guy says 'Hey I'm just giving them paperwork and sending them out to go bother someone who is making themselves a nuisance. Whether they get rich beyound their wildest dreams of avarice or get blowed up the first time they drop out of hyper isn't my problem. Either outcome will cause issues for my enemies. So I fail to see an actual significant downside.'

Return to Honorverse