Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Uncompromising Honor, Snippet #2

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor, Snippet #2
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
kzt wrote:I think you are making a fundamental mistake here. The entire area around the WHT is far outside the hyperlimit. You can translate from alpha into anywhere around the WHT anywhere other then the actual terminus. Certain areas are "less favorable" for this than others and might produce certain unpleasant "complications" depending on various factors. However the SLN does in fact understand these.

"the resonance zone—the volume of space between the Junction and Manticore-A in which it was virtually impossible to translate between hyper-space and normal-space. Any wormhole terminus associated with a star formed a conical volume in hyper, with the wormhole at its apex and a base centered on the star and twice as wide as its hyper limit, in which hyper-space astrogation became less than totally reliable. The bigger the terminus or junction, the stronger the resonance effect . . . and the Manticoran Wormhole Junction, with its multiple termini, was the largest ever discovered. The resonance zone it produced was more of a tsunami, and it didn't just make astrogation "less than reliable." It made it the next best thing to flatly impossible. Any translation out of the resonance zone risked serious astrogational uncertainty, and any translation into the zone would have been no more than a complicated way to commit suicide."

Though technically the wormhole, like a gas giant though much smaller, creates a small hyper limit of it's own. OBS says "Both wormholes and stars had hyper limits, within which no ship could enter or leave hyper. For junctions, the limit was, less than a million kilometers; for a G0 star, it was twenty-two light-minutes." (In contrast HotQ says "Uriel’s bloated sphere. The planet was so enormous it created a hyper limit of almost five light-minutes" [or almost 90 million km]

Still a wormhole's hyper limit is barely enough to keep people from dropping out within energy range of the terminus - they can emerge in easy missile range (assuming they don't screw up their jump like the Havenite's did when they pounced on Basilisk)

This has always reminded me of the similarity in the Trek World which has the same superficial limitation on going to warp inside a planet's gravity well.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:52 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

I think we overestimate the amount of required time per person. These are not seagoing vessels where constant repair is necessary.
Dealing with weather and waves creates more than a few issues.

In space, these generally don't come up. A lot of the tasks are pretty easy if ships are moving between star systems. I would guess that once one plots a course, there are only limited adjustments for rather a long time. If no one is around, the tac officers can do simulations.

Presumably there won't be too many problems with electronics, etc. during that time and although we have seen some engineering issues, the real problems come through battle and the damage done there.

From what we learned about the LACs, there is a great deal of modularization and a lot of parts stored. That should simplify things.

Things are probably boring enough that the simulations are good for keeping people occupied as much as improving technique.
Post by kaid   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:42 pm

kaid
Lieutenant Commander

I think the SLN is going to have at least a few "victories" although some may be a lot more phyrric than they would like. They have gobs of ships and if they are willing to throw large numbers at low priority worlds sooner or later they are going to get lucky and find a target whose defenses are mostly a LAC compliment.

But even those could wind up being extremely costly for them but right now they basically have a massive fleet that is is simply the wrong ships and the wrong weapon layout for the opponents they are facing. So as bloody minded as it is losing ships to knock out some third tier worlds so they can show some victories to their populace are probably worth the cost in ships that will likely have to be scrapped anyway at some point and lives.
Post by Montrose Toast   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:04 am

Montrose Toast
Commodore

kzt wrote:
Relax wrote:.

How many hours in a week? Yea.. 24x7 = 168 and half of that even on only a 2 shift crew is 84. Most all ships have 3... Or 56 hours a week. Not exactly a back breaker week. In engineering land that is called a normal work week.

Common kzt, lets not stretch the truth massively.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/27/worl ... -warn.html
"The rotation can lead to a watch officer working a 20-hour day every three days, Mr. Cordle said, adding that even designated sleep time can be interrupted by drills or refueling operations that can keep sailors up for days at a time. A Government Accountability Office report from May said sailors were on duty up to 108 hours each week."
https://www.gao.gov/assets/690/684771.pdf

It was worse in the early 80s - hollow navy.
My official sched on USS Enterprise 82-83 cruise was 16 on/8 off. MINIMUM. Drills and other events added to it. CVN-65 CVIC had only 50% of enlisted manning...

87-88 on CMEF/CJTFME Staff I&W Watch aboard La Salle/Coronado during the Iran-Iraq War was also worse.

I tend to refer to my 22 years USN as participating in the world's largest and longest ongoing sleep-deprivation experiment.
"Who Dares Wins"

Return to Honorverse