Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 143 guests

The rest of Rose's out of order snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
The rest of Rose's out of order snippet
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:45 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

“You do seem to be having a bit of a problem, Honor,” Emily Alexander-Harrington observed.

Her life-support chair was parked beside their daughter Katherine’s highchair while she supervised Katherine’s dinner. Which, Honor observed, seemed to be going somewhat more smoothly than their son’s. Emily couldn’t actually feed Katherine herself, given the fact that she had only limited use of one hand, but she smiled encouragingly at the toddler’s green peas-smeared face and got a huge answering smile in return.

Honor would have preferred to put that down to the fact that Emily had the home-court advantage. It was true that the weeks on end that Honor spent aboard Imperator limited the time she had with their children. There’d been times — more than she could count — when she’d bitterly resented that as Raoul and Katherine raced from babes-in-arms, to self-propelled quadrupeds, to shaky steps, to determined, hyper-velocity toddlers shrieking with laughter as they dodged around the nursery, playing keep away with nannies and treecats. She’d missed so much of that transformation, and she could never get it back again, and she knew it.

You’re not the only parent who’s ever been stuck aboard ship while her kids grew up without her, she reminded herself sternly. And you’re a heck of a lot luckier than most of those other parents were! You’re at least close enough to home that you can get there for visits every couple of weeks. And, she admitted, when you are here, you can actually taste their mind-glows. That’s something no other parent — no other two-leg parent, she corrected, glancing at Samantha and Nimitz — has ever been able to do. Something Emily can’t do. Or, really, something else she can’t do.

Her mood darkened briefly as she watched Sandra Thurston wipe the outer few centimeters of pea paste off Katherine’s chin. While Katherine appeared far more amenable to the evening’s menu, she still plied her own spoon with more enthusiasm than precision, although, to be fair, peas were less spectacular than the results she could achieve with Raoul’s favored “’paghetti.”

There was no trace of self-pity in Emily’s mind-glow as she watched Sandra do what she couldn’t, but that only made Honor more aware of her senior wife’s loss. And she seemed so tired again. It was almost —

She put that th0ught aside and returned her attention to Raoul.

“No ’paghetti,” she said firmly.

He sat back in his highchair, looking at her stubbornly with almond-shaped brown eyes very like the ones she saw in the mirror, and she tasted the developing mind behind them as it grappled with the problem. His ability to put sentences together lagged considerably behind his ability to comprehend what was said to him. According to the pediatricians, that was to be expected at his age. In fact, his spoken vocabulary was well ahead of the norm. He had at least a hundred words in his mental vault by now, and he was adding at least a half-dozen a day. And he did take a certain delight in using them to affirm his independence.

That, too, was right on the curve, she thought. Of course, some children were more stubborn than others. Raoul definitely fitted into that category. Undoubtedly the fault of his father’s genetic contribution.

"No ’paghetti?" he said after a moment.

"No ’paghetti," she confirmed in a no-nonsense, listen-to-your-mother tone.

He cocked his head, and she twitched internally as something . . . brushed at the corner of her mind. That wasn’t the right verb, but that was because there wasn’t a "right verb” for what she was experiencing, and her eyes widened. She’d thought she was sensing something once or twice before, but she’d never been certain, and each time she’d convinced herself she was imagining things. This time she couldn’t, and her eyes slid sideways to Sun Heart, the senior female of the half-dozen ’cats who’d immigrated to White Haven.

In many ways, Sun Heart was Lindsey Phillips’s co-nanny where both children were concerned. A “retired” elder of Bright Water Clan, she wasn’t a memory singer, like Samantha, but she was over a hundred T-years old and the mother of “hands of hands” — the vagueness of treecat arithmetic could be frustrating on occasion — of kittens of her own. Most of them were full adults now, which freed her to focus on the two-leg offspring of Death Fang’s Bane Clan, and she — and all of Bright Water’s ’cats took their responsibilities seriously. Although Sun Heart tended to spend her nights sleeping on the foot of Raoul’s bed, her mate, Bark Master, spent every night on Katherine’s to be sure both bases were covered.

Honor had never been able to decide all the reasons the treecats did that. Partly, she knew from her own ability to taste their mind-glows, it was because all of the ’cats loved the kids so deeply. And it was because they were determined that nothing would harm either of them. But there was something else going on, as well. Something she suspected not even the ’cats fully understood. There was a complex, subtle . . . flow between Raoul and his furry guardians. Katherine was a bright, sunny, incredibly smart little girl, but without that interwoven tapestry. Sun Heart had made it clear to all of the various parental two-legs that Raoul and Katherine were almost certain to be adopted when they were older, when their mind-glows had settled a bit. But there was more than that at play here, and she suddenly wondered how her own ability to taste the treecats’ mind-glows might have looked if she could have seen it from the outside.

Now Sun Heart met her questioning gaze — and the more pointed question of her emotions — with a calm, grass-green gaze. Then she flipped her ears in the equivalent of a shrug.

Lot of help that was, Honor thought dryly, and Sun Heart bleeked in soft laughter that was echoed from Nimitz and Samantha.

“If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem,” she told the furrier members of the dinner party. “I think —”

“’ellery,” Raoul interrupted with the air of a high-level diplomat offering up a compromise solution.

“You need to eat more than just celery,” Honor responded. She wasn’t sure whether Raoul really liked celery or if his craving for it owed more to watching the treecats devour it.

Or, she thought, thinking about that subtle flow of mind-glows, maybe he actually . . . I don’t know . . . experiences whatever it is they get out of eating it. I’ve certainly tasted Mister Gobble Guts’s fondness for it!

Nimitz bleeked a harder laugh.

“The peas were only one thing you were trying to get down him,” Hamish pointed out. “Maybe you’ve got an opening wedge.”

“Bargaining creates a future position of weakness,” Honor replied darkly, regarding Raoul with calculating eyes.

“Honor, he’s not quite two. You’ve got decades to work on him.”

“Oh yes?” She turned to give him a withering glance. “Do you have any idea how hard it was for my mom to get back any ground she ever yielded to me?”

“I don’t have to. I know how hard it’s been for me and Emily!” He shook his head. “I’m just saying that sometimes a canny tactician settles for a partial victory rather than reinforcing failure.”

“You to do realize you’re feeding a child, not fighting a battle?” Emily asked. Then she paused, thought a moment, and shook her head. “Forget I said that.”

“Truer words were never spoken,” Honor said, returning her attention to Raoul.

“No peas, you get the celery, but you have to eat the mac-and-cheese and drink every drop of the milk,” she countered. “Deal?”

He pondered carefully, considering every aspect of the proposed compromise. She could tell that the “I’m-a-big-boy” corner of his mind wanted to lay down additional conditions. Fortunately, she had a hole card. The Meyerdahl genetic mods were hard-coded, which meant he’d inherited her metabolism. Debating what he was going to eat might turn into a tussle, but there was no doubt he was going to eat something. Keeping the Meyerdahl furnace stoked was a full-time occupation. So she sat back, arms folded, and waited him out. He wavered back and forth for a moment, then nodded.

“’eal,” he said firmly. “But ’ellery first!

“Done,” she sighed, and reached out to remove a stalk of celery from Nimitz’ tray. The treecat bleeked indignantly, and she snorted. “You’re so darned amused by all this, you can provide the celery,” she told him.

Raoul didn’t care where it had come from. He grinned from ear to ear, grabbed his prize, and started to chew.

“Now, if only the Sollies were that easy,” Hamish said.

“The Sollies don’t have a clue about real stubbornness,” Honor informed him with crushing scorn.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: The rest of Rose's out of order snippet
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:“You do seem to be having a bit of a problem, Honor,” Emily Alexander-Harrington observed.

Her life-support chair was parked beside their daughter Katherine’s highchair while she supervised Katherine’s dinner. Which, Honor observed, seemed to be going somewhat more smoothly than their son’s. Emily couldn’t actually feed Katherine herself, given the fact that she had only limited use of one hand, but she smiled encouragingly at the toddler’s green peas-smeared face and got a huge answering smile in return.

Honor would have preferred to put that down to the fact that Emily had the home-court advantage. It was true that the weeks on end that Honor spent aboard Imperator limited the time she had with their children. There’d been times — more than she could count — when she’d bitterly resented that as Raoul and Katherine raced from babes-in-arms, to self-propelled quadrupeds, to shaky steps, to determined, hyper-velocity toddlers shrieking with laughter as they dodged around the nursery, playing keep away with nannies and treecats. She’d missed so much of that transformation, and she could never get it back again, and she knew it.

You’re not the only parent who’s ever been stuck aboard ship while her kids grew up without her, she reminded herself sternly. And you’re a heck of a lot luckier than most of those other parents were! You’re at least close enough to home that you can get there for visits every couple of weeks. And, she admitted, when you are here, you can actually taste their mind-glows. That’s something no other parent — no other two-leg parent, she corrected, glancing at Samantha and Nimitz — has ever been able to do. Something Emily can’t do. Or, really, something else she can’t do.

Her mood darkened briefly as she watched Sandra Thurston wipe the outer few centimeters of pea paste off Katherine’s chin. While Katherine appeared far more amenable to the evening’s menu, she still plied her own spoon with more enthusiasm than precision, although, to be fair, peas were less spectacular than the results she could achieve with Raoul’s favored “’paghetti.”

There was no trace of self-pity in Emily’s mind-glow as she watched Sandra do what she couldn’t, but that only made Honor more aware of her senior wife’s loss. And she seemed so tired again. It was almost —

He sat back in his highchair, looking at her stubbornly with almond-shaped brown eyes very like the ones she saw in the mirror, and she tasted the developing mind behind them as it grappled with the problem. His ability to put sentences together lagged considerably behind his ability to comprehend what was said to him. According to the pediatricians, that was to be expected at his age. In fact, his spoken vocabulary was well ahead of the norm. He had at least a hundred words in his mental vault by now, and he was adding at least a half-dozen a day. And he did take a certain delight in using them to affirm his independence.

That, too, was right on the curve, she thought. Of course, some children were more stubborn than others. Raoul definitely fitted into that category. Undoubtedly the fault of his father’s genetic contribution.

He cocked his head, and she twitched internally as something . . . brushed at the corner of her mind. That wasn’t the right verb, but that was because there wasn’t a "right verb” for what she was experiencing, and her eyes widened. She’d thought she was sensing something once or twice before, but she’d never been certain, and each time she’d convinced herself she was imagining things. This time she couldn’t, and her eyes slid sideways to Sun Heart, the senior female of the half-dozen ’cats who’d immigrated to White Haven.

In many ways, Sun Heart was Lindsey Phillips’s co-nanny where both children were concerned. A “retired” elder of Bright Water Clan, she wasn’t a memory singer, like Samantha, but she was over a hundred T-years old and the mother of “hands of hands” — the vagueness of treecat arithmetic could be frustrating on occasion — of kittens of her own. Most of them were full adults now, which freed her to focus on the two-leg offspring of Death Fang’s Bane Clan, and she — and all of Bright Water’s ’cats took their responsibilities seriously. Although Sun Heart tended to spend her nights sleeping on the foot of Raoul’s bed, her mate, Bark Master, spent every night on Katherine’s to be sure both bases were covered.

Honor had never been able to decide all the reasons the treecats did that. Partly, she knew from her own ability to taste their mind-glows, it was because all of the ’cats loved the kids so deeply. And it was because they were determined that nothing would harm either of them. But there was something else going on, as well. Something she suspected not even the ’cats fully understood. There was a complex, subtle . . . flow between Raoul and his furry guardians. Katherine was a bright, sunny, incredibly smart little girl, but without that interwoven tapestry. Sun Heart had made it clear to all of the various parental two-legs that Raoul and Katherine were almost certain to be adopted when they were older, when their mind-glows had settled a bit. But there was more than that at play here, and she suddenly wondered how her own ability to taste the treecats’ mind-glows might have looked if she could have seen it from the outside.

Now Sun Heart met her questioning gaze — and the more pointed question of her emotions — with a calm, grass-green gaze. Then she flipped her ears in the equivalent of a shrug.

Lot of help that was, Honor thought dryly, and Sun Heart bleeked in soft laughter that was echoed from Nimitz and Samantha.

“If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem,” she told the furrier members of the dinner party. “I think —”

“’ellery,” Raoul interrupted with the air of a high-level diplomat offering up a compromise solution.

“You need to eat more than just celery,” Honor responded. She wasn’t sure whether Raoul really liked celery or if his craving for it owed more to watching the treecats devour it.

Or, she thought, thinking about that subtle flow of mind-glows, maybe he actually . . . I don’t know . . . experiences whatever it is they get out of eating it. I’ve certainly tasted Mister Gobble Guts’s fondness for it!

“The peas were only one thing you were trying to get down him,” Hamish pointed out. “Maybe you’ve got an opening wedge.”

“Bargaining creates a future position of weakness,” Honor replied darkly, regarding Raoul with calculating eyes.

“Oh yes?” She turned to give him a withering glance. “Do you have any idea how hard it was for my mom to get back any ground she ever yielded to me?”

“I don’t have to. I know how hard it’s been for me and Emily!” He shook his head. “I’m just saying that sometimes a canny tactician settles for a partial victory rather than reinforcing failure.”

“You to do realize you’re feeding a child, not fighting a battle?” Emily asked. Then she paused, thought a moment, and shook her head. “Forget I said that.”

“No peas, you get the celery, but you have to eat the mac-and-cheese and drink every drop of the milk,” she countered. “Deal?”

He pondered carefully, considering every aspect of the proposed compromise. She could tell that the “I’m-a-big-boy” corner of his mind wanted to lay down additional conditions. Fortunately, she had a hole card. The Meyerdahl genetic mods were hard-coded, which meant he’d inherited her metabolism. Debating what he was going to eat might turn into a tussle, but there was no doubt he was going to eat something. Keeping the Meyerdahl furnace stoked was a full-time occupation. So she sat back, arms folded, and waited him out. He wavered back and forth for a moment, then nodded.

“Done,” she sighed, and reached out to remove a stalk of celery from Nimitz’ tray. The treecat bleeked indignantly, and she snorted. “You’re so darned amused by all this, you can provide the celery,” she told him.

Raoul didn’t care where it had come from. He grinned from ear to ear, grabbed his prize, and started to chew.

“The Sollies don’t have a clue about real stubbornness,” Honor informed him with crushing scorn.

Well that's a real curve ball. I never saw that stalk coming. Celery may have a possible benefit to some bonded humans?

Makes me want to eat more spin—err celery. Celery is the new spinach? Perhaps Honor should chew a little more, eh? If Nimitz will share any. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:46 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I want to roll around in this like a treecat in a field full of celery. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by phillies   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 pm

phillies
Admiral

cthia wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:“You do seem to be having a bit of a problem, Honor,” Emily Alexander-Harrington observed.

Well that's a real curve ball. I never saw that stalk coming. Celery may have a possible benefit to some bonded humans?

Makes me want to eat more spin—err celery. Celery is the new spinach? Perhaps Honor should chew a little more, eh? If Nimitz will share any. LOL

Raoul and cat are reading each other's mind, but Raoul is a bit confused as to which part of his thoughts are his in his body and which are the treecat's.

Some current epoch parents have discovered that the well-described challenge of two year olds, having thoughts they cannot communicate, is resolved by teaching them a bit of sign at the same time they are being taught their spoken language.
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I wonder if what the cats are doing with Raoul, that they're at a loss to explain to Honor, is cultivating his abilities. Akin to the "formative years" of a human child — where they are like sponges that will soak up knowledge, if it is so fed. "Input. I need input."

I wonder if there is a similar concept with treecat kittens as well. Where their early abilities have to be nourished. And I wonder if there is a much smaller "broadcast radius" for newborn cats where adults need to remain in close proximity, (some sort of telempathic umbilical cord) to avoid the white noise of emptiness from being out of reach, therefore, possibly -- for lack of a better word -- "traumatizing" the infant. Akin to the trauma suffered by Nimitz when he first realized he was mind blind. And if that is so, it may be why the cats are remaining in such close proximity to Raoul. For protection from being cut-off and experiencing the white noise of telempatic abandonment. Or perhaps some form of frequency training, the cultivation of the telempathic channels until the training wheels can be removed. Raoul has learned many human words from the two-legs. Perhaps he is being taught "telempathic words" by the 'Cats. "The telempathic alphabet."

Which may imply that Raoul's abilities might indeed surpass Honor's, since he is being trained from the ground up in what amounts to a treecat kindergarten.

There has always been another frequency in which Honor has been unable to tap into, but has always been able to sense, has always been at least peripherally aware of. It is this frequency of which I wonder whether Raoul is being taught, trained, or conditioned for? I wonder if what "brushed" against Honor's senses is the "amplified leakage" from this other frequency. Nimitz has always acted like sort of a step up transformer for Honor, tightening the telempathic focus for her. Now Honor has two sources, that naturally triangulate the frequency, steps it up (focuses) and then releases it back to her???...from the shared telempathic junction with Nimitz and Raoul. Along with all of the other broadcast antenna.

Purely exciting speculation on my part. But an intensely fulfilling mind experiment. Even with all of the probable holes and misfires.

Vedy in-te-rest-ing!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

OIC. Raoul has that same high metabolism as well. He isn't saying that he doesn't like peas, but that he needs something a bit more... substantial, that'll stick to his ribs.

"I need something with some meat in it momma. Where's the beef?!"

After all, the French meaning of the name Raoul is red wolf or wolf counselor. Raoul's simply trying to keep in tune with his namesake by wolfing down a plate of spaghetti. LOL

Post by Dauntless   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

lol. oh that was hilarious but also very interesting to see that Roul is likely to have developed skills similar to honor. the cats have speculated before that most of those of Death Fang's Bane's clan have the ability to sense mind glows, though mainly subconsciously, that roul might be able to more and from so early is fascinating.

thanks for the snippet RFC
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Who is the oldest between Katherine and Raoul? I can't quite recollect the particulars. Is it big brother or big sister?

Thanks in advance.

Post by saber964   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:56 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:Who is the oldest between Katherine and Raoul? I can't quite recollect the particulars. Is it big brother or big sister?

Thanks in advance.

Raoul is older by a couple of months.
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
cthia wrote:Who is the oldest between Katherine and Raoul? I can't quite recollect the particulars. Is it big brother or big sister?

Thanks in advance.

Raoul is older by a couple of months.

I thought so saber. Which is only proper.

Thanks.

Return to Honorverse