Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

[STICKY] UH Spoiler/Snippet Index [2018-08-28]

This is the place where we will be posting snippets of soon-to-be published works!
[STICKY] UH Spoiler/Snippet Index [2018-08-28]
Post by Joat42   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Here are the collected snippets from the forthcoming book Uncompromising Honor.

There are also the snippets for Dark Fall, a novella explaining the origin of Bolthole.

If you see a post from RFC or has information that would fit in this index please send me a pm.

Note 1: The latest update will be underlined like this note.

Note 2: Spoiler/snippet always links to first post, ► links to first unread post.

Note 3: Preliminary release date October 2018.

Note 4: eARC is available from baen.com here.

Here is the list of tiny snippets/spoilers UH (internal chronological order unknown):
2018:

The snippets for DF, they are not necessarily complete:
2018:
The snippets for UH, they are not necessarily complete:
2018:

Note 5: The numbering of the snippets in this post doesn't necessarily follow the numbering RFC has on his posts.

Edits:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
28/08: Added snippet #17
19/08: Added snippet #16
14/08: Added snippet #15
04/08: Added snippet #14
Last edited by Joat42 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 31 times in total.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Re: UH Spoiler/Snippet Index [2017-09-04]
Post by ksandgren   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:18 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks for doing this again, Joat42, though most were for Safehold. I really appreciate having the snippets in an ordered fashion.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for doing this, Joat42.

Are you going to track snippets for the Bolthole creation short story/novella that David said might come bundled with UH?

I believe we have 2 out of order snippets from it:
#1 Originally posted to Safehold forum back in June, and reposted here by Duckk on Jun 2nd.
#2 Posted by runsforcelery himself here on Jun 3rd.

[edit: fixed URL to Duckk's post and the month]
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by 19chickens   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:09 am

19chickens
Ensign

Jonathan_S wrote:I believe we have 2 out of order snippets from it:
#1 Originally posted to Safehold forum back in Jan, and reposted here by Duckk on Jun 2nd.

Both of those go to the Jun 3rd snippet from rfc.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:32 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

19chickens wrote:Both of those go to the Jun 3rd snippet from rfc.

Sorry about that. Fixed.
Re: [STICKY] UH Spoiler/Snippet Index [2017-09-04]
Post by Joat42   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Thanks, added it to the index. I completely forgot about those posts. :oops:

---

Re: [STICKY] UH Spoiler/Snippet Index [2017-09-06]
Post by Gun Boat Diplomacy   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Gun Boat Diplomacy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Great Job Joat42 Thanks from the masses
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:37 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Jonathan_S wrote:Thanks for doing this, Joat42.

Are you going to track snippets for the Bolthole creation short story/novella that David said might come bundled with UH?

#1 Originally posted to Safehold forum back in June, and reposted here by Duckk on Jun 2nd.

Actually, that snippet from the novella was from an early draft. Here's how it begins now:

Dark Fall

●I●

Hear now my song and weep.

Hear of the blackness of Dark Fall,
Of death, dust, destruction of all.
Hear now of terror on night-black wings,
Of heartbreak and horror — the end of all things,
Of destruction below and death from the sky
On the day human history died.

The Dark Fall Saga.

Navigation Deck
Generation Ship Calvin’s Hope
March 402 Post Diaspora

“It’s confirmed,” the leaden voice said in Vincent Anderson’s headphones. “No way. The damage at ground level is even worse than we expected. We’d need three times the resources we’ve got to establish even a temporary foothold down here. And it’s still getting worse.”

“Understood,” Anderson said. He drew a deep breath and squared his shoulders. “Come on back up. Looks like we’re going to have to come up with something brilliant.”

“Lots of luck with that,” the voice said harshly. Then there was a pause, and Anderson visualized the owner of that voice drawing her own deep breath. “I’m calling in the survey parties now. We should be back aboard in a few hours.”

“Good.” Anderson’s voice was soft. “I need you, Trish.”

“I know, Babe. See you soon.”

Anderson killed the circuit and pushed off against the captain’s chair to send himself across the nav deck to the main visual display. The command section, like the engineering core, was outside the spin section, and he’d always loved the microgravity. It made him feel lighter than air, with a buoyancy that went beyond the merely physical as he floated here, watching the endless stars recede into infinity.

But not today, he thought. Not today.

It was late in Calvin’s Hope’s day, and he’d decided to take the watch by himself. It wasn’t as if the nav deck needed manning, and the truly critical parts of the huge ship’s infrastructure had always been managed from Engineering and Environmental. But there’d been someone here — usually only a single someone, admittedly, but someone — every day for the last three and a half centuries.

Well, he amended, hooking a toe through a safety loop, for the last four centuries, as the rest of the universe had told time. The time dilation affect at fifty percent of light-speed was significant, and Vincent Anderson had spent his entire forty-three years — subjective — tearing through the cosmos at that velocity. His parents had spent their entire lives doing precisely the same thing, and so had their parents. In fact, his great-great-grandparents had been only in their thirties when the shuttles delivered them to their new home in space. He was the eighth captain Calvin’s Hope had known since it departed the Sol System, 135 years after the Beowulf Expedition, on its own long, lonely voyage, and they were farther from Earth than any humans had ever traveled.

Angelique Calvin hadn’t lived to see the ship that bore her name depart. She’d driven the expedition with every gram of her steely will, though. She’d personally rammed it through the Earth Union’s committees and bureaus and petty tyrants, despite their bitter opposition to interstellar exploration. She’d personally designed the generation ship’s drive, but she’d known she wouldn’t be making the voyage aboard the project to which she’d devoted her entire adult life. There was no room for octogenarians aboard a starship. But on the day the transmission confirming the Beowulf Expedition’s safe landing in their destination star system, her son Angus had begun the countdown for Calvin’s Hope’s launch.

Now, four hundred and two years later, the great-great-grandchildren of that ship’s crew had reached their destination.

Vincent Anderson looked at the image of the world they’d come so far to reach and tried not to vomit.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Joat42   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Joat42
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Thanks for doing this, Joat42.

Actually, that snippet from the novella was from an early draft. Here's how it begins now:

..snip..

I'll update the index on Monday when I'm back from Milano and don't have to edit it on my phone.

Btw, I'm afraid I will not liable for any recursion errors due to the fact that the index will reference it self... :geek:

---

Post by Dauntless   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:22 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:I'll update the index on Monday when I'm back from Milano and don't have to edit it on my phone.

Btw, I'm afraid I will not liable for any recursion errors due to the fact that the index will reference it self... :geek:

copied novella snippet to fresh thread to make it easier to index

Return to Snippets