Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

[STICKY] UH Spoiler/Snippet Index [2018-08-28]

This is the place where we will be posting snippets of soon-to-be published works!
Re: [STICKY] UH Spoiler/Snippet Index [2017-09-28]
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:06 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Peter2 wrote:
People other than the publisher don't always get things right. The Fantastic Fiction website, although usually very good, still has CtV down as being published in hardcover on the 15th February 2017 – and that you can now pre-order it. Pretty much of a nonsense . . .

Eagleeye wrote:
Concur. But Simon and Schuster provides the distribution channels for Baens printed editions - so they at least should get it right, don't you think? ;)

Peter2 wrote:
Oh yes, they definitely should . . .

August occurs before October in 2018, so not having a pub date up to August is correct.
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Bookaholic   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Bookaholic
Ensign

So I stop dropping by for a few months or so, and RFC reappears and starts dropping snippets like candy. Then, right when I’m in the middle of indulging myself, he disappears again! Ok, at least I now know that he is fine and the book is done and scheduled. I just placed my preorder, and can’t wait. The big question is will I be able to avoid purchasing the eARC when it comes out?

Glad you’re back David.
Post by Rincewind   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

I was rewatching this snippet when something that has been bothering me came into focus.

As readers we have been aware for some time that Albrecht Detweiller & his clone sons were alive & formed the very top leadership echelon of the Mesan Alignment. However, as far as the rest of the Galaxy was concerned the Detweiller line had been wiped out several centuries earlier in a powerplay within Manpower Ltd., a situation engineered by the then head of the Detweiller clan so that they could disappear from public view.

My point? Damien Harahap has provided the first concrete evidence to the Grand Alliance that the Detweiller line still exists & are in charge of the Mesan Alignment- and that everything that has befallen Manticore & Haven is ultimately their responsibility.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:47 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Rincewind wrote:

I was rewatching this snippet when something that has been bothering me came into focus.

As readers we have been aware for some time that Albrecht Detweiller & his clone sons were alive & formed the very top leadership echelon of the Mesan Alignment. However, as far as the rest of the Galaxy was concerned the Detweiller line had been wiped out several centuries earlier in a powerplay within Manpower Ltd., a situation engineered by the then head of the Detweiller clan so that they could disappear from public view.

My point? Damien Harahap has provided the first concrete evidence to the Grand Alliance that the Detweiller line still exists & are in charge of the Mesan Alignment- and that everything that has befallen Manticore & Haven is ultimately their responsibility.

Well, it could be a coincidence - it's not like Deweiller is a unique name. I go past a sign daily that has someone named Detweiller as a commercial real estate agent.

The more important point, though, is that the only scene I could find in Shadow of Victory where Damien is talking to Colin is very specifically written to show that Colin did not allow Harahap to know his name.

He may have found out somewhere else, but as it stands, it looks like a continuity error.
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:

JohnRoth wrote:Well, it could be a coincidence - it's not like Deweiller is a unique name. I go past a sign daily that has someone named Detweiller as a commercial real estate agent.

The more important point, though, is that the only scene I could find in Shadow of Victory where Damien is talking to Colin is very specifically written to show that Colin did not allow Harahap to know his name.

He may have found out somewhere else, but as it stands, it looks like a continuity error.

Too much of a coincidence for enquiring paranoid minds like Pat Givens. Detweiler is a name synonymous with dabbling in the voodoo arts of over-the-line genetic research and known for having a hardon, thus motive, for Beowulf. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots from there.

A continuity error only means that the author either forgot where he was, changed his mind, or hadn't yet filled in the blanks. His last thought would be the one that counts. If indeed there is an error, and if that error is a lack of continuity.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Slneezy   » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Slneezy
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:Too much of a coincidence for enquiring paranoid minds like Pat Givens. Detweiler is a name synonymous with dabbling in the voodoo arts of over-the-line genetic research and known for having a hardon, thus motive, for Beowulf. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots from there.

A continuity error only means that the author either forgot where he was, changed his mind, or hadn't yet filled in the blanks. His last thought would be the one that counts. If indeed there is an error, and if that error is a lack of continuity.

Givens can't even be sure Detweiler is that persons real name instead of it being a pseudonym for the sake of further obscuring stuff.

Besides there being a high ranking descendant of the Detweiler family in the Alignment's intelligence apparatus doesn't tell a lot about its overall structure and purpose. Pat Givens would have to be pretty crazy to assume the Detweiler clone stuff because frankly that's Bond villain nuts.

At most there's some extra confirmation of Detweiler's ideology driving the Alignment but it isn't like that wasn't already known.
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Slneezy wrote:
cthia wrote:Too much of a coincidence for enquiring paranoid minds like Pat Givens. Detweiler is a name synonymous with dabbling in the voodoo arts of over-the-line genetic research and known for having a hardon, thus motive, for Beowulf. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots from there.

Givens can't even be sure Detweiler is that persons real name instead of it being a pseudonym for the sake of further obscuring stuff.

Besides there being a high ranking descendant of the Detweiler family in the Alignment's intelligence apparatus doesn't tell a lot about its overall structure and purpose. Pat Givens would have to be pretty crazy to assume the Detweiler clone stuff because frankly that's Bond villain nuts.

At most there's some extra confirmation of Detweiler's ideology driving the Alignment but it isn't like that wasn't already known.

True.

Yet. Never underestimate the power of confirmation. Confirmation that FTL is possible can totally jumpstart Solarian efforts.

Besides, you don't want to leave any crumbs. Crumbs cause the other fire ants to come and investigate. You don't want the last member of that pack of raptors who is fleeing the T-Rex to stop and sniff at something afoul hiding under the giant fallen tree. That could be bad.

In the absence of any leads, an insane lead suddenly tastes like manna. Manticoran ONI would be highly aware of the poignant maxim...

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Post by Nimitz1923PD   » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:31 am

Nimitz1923PD
Commander

cthia wrote:
Slneezy wrote:Too much of a coincidence for enquiring paranoid minds like Pat Givens. Detweiler is a name synonymous with dabbling in the voodoo arts of over-the-line genetic research and known for having a hardon, thus motive, for Beowulf. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots from there.

True.

Yet. Never underestimate the power of confirmation. Confirmation that FTL is possible can totally jumpstart Solarian efforts.

Besides, you don't want to leave any crumbs. Crumbs cause the other fire ants to come and investigate. You don't want the last member of that pack of raptors who is fleeing the T-Rex to stop and sniff at something afoul hiding under the giant fallen tree. That could be bad.

In the absence of any leads, an insane lead suddenly tastes like manna. Manticoran ONI would be highly aware of the poignant maxim...

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
[/quote]

:evil:
It Irks me when someone tries to quote
William Gillette
Father of Sherlock Holmes
:mrgreen:

Nimitz
Re: [STICKY] UH Spoiler/Snippet Index [2018-08-19]
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:19 am

TFLYTSNBN

What happenned to Nimitz1923PD?

Return to Snippets