Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 45 guests

Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:19 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

I was trying to think of an out-of-sequence snippet I could give Rose that wouldn't give away any plot points, and I came up with this one. :lol:

(And it is way, way out of sequence.) :twisted:

White Haven
Planet Manticore
Manticore Binary System
Star Empire of Manticore

“Eat your peas, Raoul.”

Honor’s tone was supposed to be firmly commanding. It actually came out about midway between a command, a request, and an admission of defeat, and she tasted Hamish’s unbecoming amusement as his offspring shook his head stubbornly.

Again.

No,” Raoul Alfred Alastair Alexander-Harrington said with the invincible stubbornness of his twenty-one months.

“They’re good for you,” she persisted. “Besides, you like them.”

No,” he repeated, despite the fact that he did normally like them, and sent his spoon flying across the dining room table.

Raoul —!” Her own valiantly suppressed laughter eroded the sternness of her tone.

“Want ’paghetti,” he announced.

“You’re having peas,” she informed him.

“’paghetti!” he insisted, and she tasted his very self-centered delight in expressing his independence.

“No spaghetti,” she said sternly. A mother, even one who spent so much time in space, had to draw the line somewhere, she figured. “Peas.”

’paghetti!

“Peas!”

She sat back, crossing her arms, and regarded him with a frosty maternal eye.

“You do realize they can sense fear, don’t you?” Hamish asked helpfully.

“You so do not want to go there, Hamish Erwin MacGregor Simpson Alexander-Harrington,” she told him ominously, never looking away from their son.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

:lol: :lol:
Can't wait to read Rose's reaction
Post by Fireflair   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:01 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Ah... Domestic bliss.
Post by Fiannawolf   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:10 am

Fiannawolf
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Ha!

The terrible twos. With even more complications.

2018 will be a marvelous time.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:15 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:I was trying to think of an out-of-sequence snippet I could give Rose that wouldn't give away any plot points, and I came up with this one. :lol:

(And it is way, way out of sequence.) :twisted:

(SNIP!!)

“No spaghetti,” she said sternly. A mother, even one who spent so much time in space, had to draw the line somewhere, she figured. “Peas.”

The uncompromising Honor in action, I see.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Poor Hamish & Honor.

Now I know the etymology of "Two peas in a pod."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Wait until the grandparents spoil him even more. And the godparent. Who is Raoul's godparent?

If there is any consolation, H&H, you won't have nearly as hard a time as one Victor and Thandi will after they give birth. Flying spoons and cold peas will be the least of their worries.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:23 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Wait until the grandparents spoil him even more. And the godparent. Who is Raoul's godparent?

If there is any consolation, H&H, you won't have nearly as hard a time as one Victor and Thandi will after they give birth. Flying spoons and cold peas will be the least of their worries.

no time to look it up but i think remember Elizabeth was named as a god parent. she has a whole empire of things she can use to spoil him
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:
cthia wrote:Wait until the grandparents spoil him even more. And the godparent. Who is Raoul's godparent?

no time to look it up but i think remember Elizabeth was named as a god parent. she has a whole empire of things she can use to spoil him

Thanks Dantless. I do seem to vaguely remember mention of someone as a godparent. Though my money would have been on Michelle, if I were forced to bet.

Beth as a godparent is not a good idea. Spoiled even rottener little rich kid! On the other hand, he's bound to pick up on Beth's steel bladed constitution, laced with his parents'.

Hey, the Honorverse's other Richie Rich. The other poor little rich boy. Hauptman turned out just fine.

Post by PeterZ   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:58 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Fiannawolf wrote:Ha!

The terrible twos. With even more complications.

2018 will be a marvelous time.

Yeah, Raoul will be picking up way more cues to guide his assertions of independence.that other kids his age. I wonder if he is motivated more from Dad's simple, pure amusement or Mom's more complex amusement, annoyance and marvel? 'Cause Honor is picking up Roul's every emotion during this "confrontation".

Return to Honorverse