Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests

Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose
Post by phillies   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:53 pm

phillies
Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:“I can’t compel you to do anything without killing more of your ships, Admiral,” she said flatly, “and between the two of us, I think enough people have already died today. So here’s my proposition. You take your surviving ships, and you get the hell out of Hypatia. I’m sure the Hypatians will take care of rescuing all your surviving personnel, assuming they can stop trying to save the civilians — the children — the Solarian League is willing to murder to make a political statement. If you don’t want to do that, that’s fine. You’ve got ten minutes to make up your mind. If you decide to stay, then I suppose you and I will find out how many more of your battlecruisers I can take out, one-by-one, until you — or your successor — finally figure out where I really am and manage to return fire. Of course, even when you do, my defenses are designed to stand up to Manticoran missile fire, aren’t they? And, trust me, I’m one hell of a lot faster than anything you’ve got. You can’t find me, you can’t hit me, you can’t catch me, and you damned well can’t outrun me.

“So you make up your mind, Admiral Yountz. You tell me what you’re going to do and whether or not I’m going have to start killing more Sollies today after all.

If I had to put my 2 cents on a wager, I'd guess we see a second example of how a certain Captain Amanda Belloc, CO of HMS Madelyn Hoffman, prefers to handle a situation ... At least it's a similar style.

Where was she last mentioned? I had thought vaguely of Abigail here.

'designed to stand up to Manticore missile fire' reminds me of the old American standard that a battleship's armor should be effective against that ship's guns. That was a fine standard, though it led to a number of evaluations that the Montana class (that was not built) was disappointing in terms of its performance vs its displacement and cost.

Astute readers will recall that the illustrious author has a minor degree of interest in the history of American warships, somewhat like my interest in the American Presidential administrations of 1845-1861.
Post by ZVar   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:54 pm

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

'designed to stand up to Manticore missile fire' at first thought it was simply talking about the Manticore Navy designing to withstand their own fire. If that was the case though I would assume the phrasing would have been closer to "designed to stand up to our missile fire"

No, now I think about it, even Haven is less likely than Torch's Navy. We are, after all, talking about a Solarian (thus MA puppets in their mind) killing children. While plenty of other Navies will stop that type of behavior, Torch seeks it out.
Also, the fast, stealthy ship implies to me a smaller ship. So again, while others obviously have them, Torch has only them.
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:44 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

ZVar wrote:'designed to stand up to Manticore missile fire' at first thought it was simply talking about the Manticore Navy designing to withstand their own fire. If that was the case though I would assume the phrasing would have been closer to "designed to stand up to our missile fire"

No, now I think about it, even Haven is less likely than Torch's Navy. We are, after all, talking about a Solarian (thus MA puppets in their mind) killing children. While plenty of other Navies will stop that type of behavior, Torch seeks it out.
Also, the fast, stealthy ship implies to me a smaller ship. So again, while others obviously have them, Torch has only them.

While Torch's frigates are a lot closer to other nation's destroyers, there's a reason that destroyers are called "tin cans." Frigates and destroyers are not designed to stand up to anyone's fire, let alone that of a battlecruiser.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:18 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ZVar wrote:'designed to stand up to Manticore missile fire' at first thought it was simply talking about the Manticore Navy designing to withstand their own fire. If that was the case though I would assume the phrasing would have been closer to "designed to stand up to our missile fire"

...And Torch could have a Havenite Volunteer as a ship Captain...
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Assuming this is an RMN ships That phrasing might indicate that the captain was a transfer officer from one of the other Alliance Navies. If it was, for example, a GSN ship you'd again think "designed to stand up to our missile fire" would be the more likely phrasing. But a GSN officer commanding an RMN ship would be saying the RMN had designed their ship to stand up to their missile fire.

But we're doing a lot of guessing based on a tiny text snippet. And one not deliberately designed to be confusing or misleading - in context we'd almost certainly already know the ship, captain, and their Navy(s).
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

phillies wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
If I had to put my 2 cents on a wager, I'd guess we see a second example of how a certain Captain Amanda Belloc, CO of HMS Madelyn Hoffman, prefers to handle a situation ... At least it's a similar style.

Where was she last mentioned? I had thought vaguely of Abigail here.

Shadow of Victory, Chapters 62 and 63
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Now that I think about it, Occam's Razor says that Simon says that this could be a reference to a Grayson ship. Obviously a Grayson ship specifically and without a shadow of a doubt, has the same capabilities as a Manticoran ship. Being their first ally.

Now, Alex Treebark, for the Jeopardy question of the day...

"What is... 'Where is Hypatia?'"

"The judges say be more specific."

"What is 'What have I missed again, and where is Hypatia?'" LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:00 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Personally, my gut feeling is that it was a, damn memory, whatever that sector is tbat we're been shown planning a break away, ship.
Barragos...where Thandi was a Solly marine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:14 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Annachie wrote:Personally, my gut feeling is that it was a, damn memory, whatever that sector is tbat we're been shown planning a break away, ship.

Except for Maya itself, everything in the Maya sector is named after a science fiction author: Sprague, Isaac, Poul, Murray, Randal, Edwin and Robert. According to the map I've got, there is no planet named Hypatia in that area of space. In fact, there is no planet named Hypatia anywhere on that map that I can see.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
Annachie wrote:Personally, my gut feeling is that it was a, damn memory, whatever that sector is tbat we're been shown planning a break away, ship.

Except for Maya itself, everything in the Maya sector is named after a science fiction author: Sprague, Isaac, Poul, Murray, Randal, Edwin and Robert. According to the map I've got, there is no planet named Hypatia in that area of space. In fact, there is no planet named Hypatia anywhere on that map that I can see.

Could this also be a detachment of Michelle's force? After all, she is off somewhere trying to uphold the honor of the Queen. And could have run into a Solarian force.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse