Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests

Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:16 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Dauntless wrote:no time to look it up but i think remember Elizabeth was named as a god parent. she has a whole empire of things she can use to spoil him

Thanks Dantless. I do seem to vaguely remember mention of someone as a godparent. Though my money would have been on Michelle, if I were forced to bet.
This prompted me to do a quick look for "godparent" and At All Costs contains the info (3rd hit in it)
"In the Grayson tradition, there were four godparents: two godfathers and two godmothers, and Honor smiled as Elizabeth Winton, Justin Zyrr-Winton, Katherine Mayhew, and Alistair McKeon stepped up on either side of the parents."

Although this triggered a random thought. Given what Grayson marriage patterns evolved into I'm slightly surprised that they kept to an unaltered tradition of an even male/female ratio for godparents.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Dauntless wrote:no time to look it up but i think remember Elizabeth was named as a god parent. she has a whole empire of things she can use to spoil him

Thanks Dauntless. I do seem to vaguely remember mention of someone as a godparent. Though my money would have been on Michelle, if I were forced to bet.
Jonathan_S wrote:This prompted me to do a quick look for "godparent" and At All Costs contains the info (3rd hit in it)
"In the Grayson tradition, there were four godparents: two godfathers and two godmothers, and Honor smiled as Elizabeth Winton, Justin Zyrr-Winton, Katherine Mayhew, and Alistair McKeon stepped up on either side of the parents."

Although this triggered a random thought. Given what Grayson marriage patterns evolved into I'm slightly surprised that they kept to an unaltered tradition of an even male/female ratio for godparents.

Interesting, and thanks for the research Jonathan. I wonder if the tradition was steeped and vested in the original mortality rate on Grayson and what I perceive would have been a fair compromise to the impetus behind some fierce competition amongst the would be godparents.

And for the record, I share Raoul's affinity for 'paghetti. Attaboy, do fight for your right to get your 'paghetti on, Raoul.

The kid's showing remarkably refined tastes already.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

runsforcelery wrote: “You do realize they can sense fear, don’t you?” Hamish asked helpfully.

Remember that this is a boy raised by mated tree cats bonded to his parents. Who had his extra-sensorily gifted mother poking around in his emotions while he was still in utero (replicator).
Last edited by Fox2! on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:04 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

adhfasf;asfda;hfasdhf;dhfasdhf;dahsfadshf;ah;ajashf;shfajs;fh;dhs;fadahfdwibble

::promptly dissolves into gooey puddle::
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by saber964   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:51 pm

saber964
Admiral

Hears a question?

Why aren't Nimitz and Samantha bleeking with mad glee.
Post by Cartref   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:07 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

[/quote]This prompted me to do a quick look for "godparent" and At All Costs contains the info (3rd hit in it)

Although this triggered a random thought. Given what Grayson marriage patterns evolved into I'm slightly surprised that they kept to an unaltered tradition of an even male/female ratio for godparents.[/quote]

I don't know about a "Grayson" tradition, but it seems a common tradition in many places today, let alone the order of service almost coming word for word from the Australian Prayer Book, used in Anglican Churches.
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:59 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
runsforcelery wrote: “You do realize they can sense fear, don’t you?” Hamish asked helpfully.

Remember that this is a boy raised by mated tree cats bonded to his parents. Who had his extra-sensorily gifted mother poking around in his emotions while he was still in utero (replicator).

Indeed Fox2!

For that reason I assimilated Honor's retort...

“You so do not want to go there, Hamish Erwin MacGregor Simpson Alexander-Harrington,” she told him ominously, never looking away from their son.

...to mean that she sensed Hamish's own fear and reluctance to join in and help. I don't know, like playing airplane with the spoon, to get Raoul to laugh and open wide, maybe?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:20 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Still , given that this snippet was for Rose, were there no snippets about Eloise that didn't give away plot points? I wonder.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by dscott8   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:31 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Fox2! wrote:

This goes along with my long-cherished suspicion that Raoul (and maybe ALL of Honor's kids) will be telempathic. Honor should start teaching him to play poker.
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:

dscott8 wrote:This goes along with my long-cherished suspicion that Raoul (and maybe ALL of Honor's kids) will be telempathic. Honor should start teaching him to play poker.

Didn't you read the passage. He already is playing poker. He just upped the stakes on the peas. Honor upped the ante and laid down the law about the 'paghetti. Raoul called. Honor raised the stakes again with a bluff about no peas no 'paghetti. Raoul called her on it again and went all in and threw his spoon. Sounds like poker to me. And Raoul certainly won that hand!

Matter of fact. It's a high stakes game between two telempaths. Hamish isn't even in their league. It's why he's sitting it out. LOL

Return to Honorverse