Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: W3C [Validator] and 62 guests

Uncompromising Honor, snippet #1

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor, snippet #1
Post by WLBjork   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:59 pm

WLBjork
Commander

Jonathan_S wrote:Who knows. This could just as easily be red herring as Chekov's gun.

I'm going to hazard a guess on the answer being (drumroll please):

Tum te tum te tum.
Post by aairfccha   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:41 pm

aairfccha
Commander

munroburton wrote:
I don't see the relevance. Bolthole itself does not have a wormhole terminus. On top of that, the other end of the wormhole to Calvin is deep inside Haven territory and thus probably even further away from the Alignment.

It's well established that Manticore already has massive defenses at its Junction. The firepower there is more than sufficent to defeat multiple maximum-mass transits via more than one termini. An upgrade to graser mines would be nice, but hardly essential.

With Laocoön two in action, they have a lot more wormholes to defend now...
Post by n7axw   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:42 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

So the inter stellar junk collectors have finally taken a fatal hit... Quick! A stake to drive through the Heart! Bring on the holy Water! Aw....

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:16 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

::hastily mops up drool::

I CANNOT WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS BOOK.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by drothgery   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:29 pm

drothgery
Admiral

n7axw wrote:So the inter stellar junk collectors have finally taken a fatal hit... Quick! A stake to drive through the Heart! Bring on the holy Water! Aw....

Don

-

Sadly, this forum lacks a rec button ...
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

drothgery wrote:
n7axw wrote:So the inter stellar junk collectors have finally taken a fatal hit... Quick! A stake to drive through the Heart! Bring on the holy Water! Aw....

Don

-

Sadly, this forum lacks a rec button ...

AMEN!
Post by Cartref   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

And a great big thank you for this David :D
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:51 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:(snip)

IIRC, the Joseph Buckley which was Sandra Crandall's flagship was the sixth or seventh of that name. Furthermore, as the Vegas are a more modern design than the Scientist, I would be surprised if SLN admirals didn't prefer them as flagships. Is there actually textev confirming Crandall's Buckley as a Scientist?

It was named after a scientist (I have a vague recollection that the Vega class were all named after stars, but I can't find an example).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by munroburton   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:14 am

munroburton
Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
munroburton wrote:(snip)

IIRC, the Joseph Buckley which was Sandra Crandall's flagship was the sixth or seventh of that name. Furthermore, as the Vegas are a more modern design than the Scientist, I would be surprised if SLN admirals didn't prefer them as flagships. Is there actually textev confirming Crandall's Buckley as a Scientist?

It was named after a scientist (I have a vague recollection that the Vega class were all named after stars, but I can't find an example).

There isn't one I can find either. I think the notion that Sandra Crandall's SLNS Joseph Buckley is a Scientist is leaping too quickly to conclusions, an assumption easily made because Buckley was indeed a scientist and many of the named SLN SDs so far are also scientists.

As I said in the rest of my post:
The fifth Joseph Buckley could have been the Joseph Buckley-class's lead ship, suffering an unfortunate fate and being replaced by a Scientist or a Vega.

Let's use a RMN example - we know the HMS Star Knight, lead ship of the Star Knight class, was destroyed near the beginning of SVW. Had the RMN recommissioned the name, it might have been borne by a Saganami-class cruiser.

They did the same thing with HMS Gryphon and Sphinx - decommisioned the old Manticore-class SDs to provide names for two new SD classes. Then HMS Manticore SD-01 was replaced by a new Gryphon-class hull carrying the name forth. Therefore there was never a Sphinx-class named HMS Manticore.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:41 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:[Let's use a RMN example - we know the HMS Star Knight, lead ship of the Star Knight class, was destroyed near the beginning of SVW. Had the RMN recommissioned the name, it might have been borne by a Saganami-class cruiser.

They did the same thing with HMS Gryphon and Sphinx - decommisioned the old Manticore-class SDs to provide names for two new SD classes. Then HMS Manticore SD-01 was replaced by a new Gryphon-class hull carrying the name forth. Therefore there was never a Sphinx-class named HMS Manticore.

I suspect, but obviously don't know for sure, that unless "Star Knight" was on their list of Valor which has to be kept active that they'd just let that name go fallow until well after the last Star Knight-class was retired. That avoids confusion.

There's no real issue with a ship class not having a namesake ship in commission. It's only having a ship class share a name with a ship not if that class that's confusing.

Of course we did see the old Nike recommissioned Hancock Station to free the name for the first BC(L). Though I think the RMN painted themselves into a corner allowing their BC(L) class to also be called Nike. Down the road they'll be struck between multiple conflicting traditions
A) Nike is always the most powerful BC design
B) There is always an HMS Nike
C) Ship and class names should only be the same when the ship is part of that class
D) Ships may be renamed (though rarely and it can be considered unlucky) but classes basicly never are; too confusing)

If Nike herself survives she can be retired or renamed to free the name for a next gen BC(L) to wear. But will they rename the Nike-class at the same time? Or have a new HMS Nike that's not part of the old Nike-class?

You'd think that to avoid this predictable confusion the RMN would do their best to avoid giving lead ships, and hence classes, names off the list of valor. And doubly so for Nike which has that for their traditional of usually being the most powerful BC. (Though I note that the name never got grabbed for a BC(P) or a later flight of Reliant - so most powerful isn't an absolute tradition.
I'd guess in Nike's case using that name for the single authorized BC(L) was s political ploy to get High Ridge's government to allow her to be built and deployed And that's more important that naming confusion 10 years down the line.

Return to Honorverse