Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 137 guests

Uncompromising Honor, snippet #1

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor, snippet #1
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:53 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Second I was a bit surprised to see reference to a new SLN SD class, the "Joseph Buckley-class SD".

Mostly somewhat of an in-joke as "Joseph Buckley" is the most red-shirted SF fan in history. Killing Joseph Buckley is an unofficial requirement to be a professional Science Fiction author. :twisted:

Sure. But still David already did that with Crandal's flagship. So now it doesn't really work well to double down with a ship class that doesn't include her...
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:55 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Sure. But still David already did that with Crandal's flagship. So now it doesn't really work well to double down with a ship class that doesn't include her...

Sure it does. The entire SLN is composed of "Buckley Class" ships.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:57 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Sure. But still David already did that with Crandal's flagship. So now it doesn't really work well to double down with a ship class that doesn't include her...

Sure it does. The entire SLN is composed of "Buckley Class" ships.

Well yes, I guess the interpretation I overlooked is that the RMN has started joking that every SLN class is a "Buckley" as they're all hopeless accident prone mortality inducing designs :D
Post by Fiannawolf   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:17 am

Fiannawolf
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Noice. Very noice. Me am happy.

Pretty much going over the series again via audible so by the time I finish that it might be 2018. Maybe.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

==========================================
SPECIAL COMMUNIQUE FROM THE ADMIRALTY

Alright. This is the time to check the gut and fess up. I became very aware of all of you die hard captured Solly junk fans and I studied and tracked your behavior across many threads and I know, I KNOW, that many of you are fanatic in your love for all things captured. Which leads me to the meaning of this emergency communique. I know that there are many of you still holding on and holding out. You simply can't let go of those captured Solly ships, those floating, hulking, mindless, spiritless pieces of junk. Therefore, I hardly believe that all of you have given up every single ghost. SO! I'll give you exactly 24 hours! That should afford you plenty moments of silence to reflect and forget. Then, remove the — stolen is such a strong word — misappropriated captured Solly ships from under your beds, closets, basements and from under your very special hand-sewn fluffy pink pillows and send them to the breakers, now! BECAUSE GODDAMMIT!...

IF ANOTHER SOB COMES IN HERE WITH SOME LAME ASS IDEA ABOUT HOW TO USE A SOLLY SD I'M GONNA BEND HIM OVER PULL DOWN HIS LITTLE PINK PANTIES TAKE ME ONE OF THOSE WORTHLESS PIECES OF JUNK AND GREASE HER UP REAL GOOD WITH SOME WD-40 STAND HER UP ON END AND SHOVE IT UP HIS CANDY ASS!"

Admiralty out!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:45 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
SPECIAL COMMUNIQUE FROM THE ADMIRALTY

Alright. This is the time to check the gut and fess up. I became very aware of all of you die hard captured Solly junk fans and I studied and tracked your behavior across many threads and I know, I KNOW, that many of you are fanatic in your love for all things captured. Which leads me to the meaning of this emergency communique. I know that there are many of you still holding on and holding out. You simply can't let go of those captured Solly ships, those floating, hulking, mindless, spiritless pieces of junk. Therefore, I hardly believe that all of you have given up every single ghost. SO! I'll give you exactly 24 hours! That should afford you plenty moments of silence to reflect and forget. Then, remove the — stolen is such a strong word — misappropriated captured Solly ships from under your beds, closets, basements and from under your very special hand-sewn fluffy pink pillows and send them to the breakers, now! BECAUSE GODDAMMIT!...

IF ANOTHER SOB COMES IN HERE WITH SOME LAME ASS IDEA ABOUT HOW TO USE A SOLLY SD I'M GONNA BEND HIM OVER PULL DOWN HIS LITTLE PINK PANTIES TAKE ME ONE OF THOSE WORTHLESS PIECES OF JUNK AND GREASE HER UP REAL GOOD WITH SOME WD-40 STAND HER UP ON END AND SHOVE IT UP HIS CANDY ASS!"

Admiralty out!

Please. Enough on your sex life.
Post by munroburton   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 am

munroburton
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:Mostly somewhat of an in-joke as "Joseph Buckley" is the most red-shirted SF fan in history. Killing Joseph Buckley is an unofficial requirement to be a professional Science Fiction author. :twisted:

Sure. But still David already did that with Crandal's flagship. So now it doesn't really work well to double down with a ship class that doesn't include her...

IIRC, the Joseph Buckley which was Sandra Crandall's flagship was the sixth or seventh of that name. Furthermore, as the Vegas are a more modern design than the Scientist, I would be surprised if SLN admirals didn't prefer them as flagships. Is there actually textev confirming Crandall's Buckley as a Scientist?

The fifth Joseph Buckley could have been the Joseph Buckley-class's lead ship, suffering an unfortunate fate and being replaced by a Scientist or a Vega.

It's not inconceivable that the Buckley-class does exist - I was speculating upon the probability of a SLN SD slightly smaller and older than the RMN's Manticore-class SD only a few weeks ago. And guess what? The Manticore has a total of 60 grasers and 16 energy torpedoes compared to a Buckley's 64 grasers.

Or it's a slip and RFC meant Scientist-class.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Second I was a bit surprised to see reference to a new SLN SD class, the "Joseph Buckley-class SD".

Mostly somewhat of an in-joke as "Joseph Buckley" is the most red-shirted SF fan in history. Killing Joseph Buckley is an unofficial requirement to be a professional Science Fiction author. :twisted:

Because that's how Buckley thrives. He cannot be killed. He simply rises from the ashes. What do you think 'Buckley' means? It is someone who constantly bucks the system, and death.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:07 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:IIRC, the Joseph Buckley which was Sandra Crandall's flagship was the sixth or seventh of that name. Furthermore, as the Vegas are a more modern design than the Scientist, I would be surprised if SLN admirals didn't prefer them as flagships. Is there actually textev confirming Crandall's Buckley as a Scientist?
I don't think it did. All I was able to find (admittedly from a quick search function through the ebooks late last night) was that her fleet didn't have any SDs other than Scientists or Vegas - nothing about which ship was which.
Post by drothgery   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:52 am

drothgery
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:Mostly somewhat of an in-joke as "Joseph Buckley" is the most red-shirted SF fan in history. Killing Joseph Buckley is an unofficial requirement to be a professional Science Fiction author. :twisted:

Certainly at Baen. Though LMB never killed Jo VorBuckley...

Return to Honorverse