Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny, Theemile and 160 guests

Uncompromising Honor, snippet #1

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor, snippet #1
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

At least some ppl were dead on the money about salvaging some of the Solly hardware. So the ships turned out not to be completely useless. Therefore doesn't exactly offend our sense of "Waste not want not."

RFC appeased the masses. Thank you Mr. terRiFiC.

Last edited by cthia on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:Thank you! :D

I wonder why Honor/Shannon thinks it might be necessary to upgrade defences against wormhole-based assaults. Ten thousand Chekhov's cannons, eh?

Because she thinks the answer to this would be a resounding yes, in their mind.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Remember the storylines implying the potential disaster if a friendly ship's ID code wasn't recognized or accepted by a minefield? Heck, I'd be afraid the forts didn't recognize me now. LOL

"Wait! Don't shoot! Don't shoot! Our broadcaster was damaged!"

Good darn thing forts aren't automatic. This is why you have to have a warm body in the loop sometimes, instead of a cold calculating computer that could care less about your technical problems.

Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ok, please forgive Johnnie come lately. A couple queries, pls...

-snip-

“Well, yes,” Commander Angela Clayton acknowledged. She wore the blue-on-blue of the Grayson Space Navy with the salamander flash of the Protector’s Own, but her accent was Manticoran. In fact, it was pure Gryphon Highlands. “You did ask for it, though,” she pointed out with something close to a twinkle.

Commander Clayton was a new addition to Honor’s staff, serving both as a liaison with High Admiral Judah Yanakov and as Grand Fleet’s logistics officer. A sturdy, no-nonsense sort, Commander Clayton. Although she’d been born in Rearson, the same barony as Anton Zilwiki, she’d become a citizen of Harrington Steading following five years of “loaner” service with the GSN, which explained why she habitually addressed Honor as “My Lady” rather than “Your Grace.”

snip

I'm confused. If she was in the GSN, why did she wear the salamander flash of the Protector's Own? And why did the Protector's Own even have a salamander flash? Whatever the heck that is? Am I missing something? Honor doesn't command the Protector's Own does she?

Also, I always thought that the Protector's Own could only be manned by Grayson natives, which Commander Clayton would have qualified for, since she was living in Harrington Steading, but the textev says she was in the GSN?

Also, I wonder what percentage of offworlders Harrington Steading has?

Post by Duckk   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Honor is the permanent CO of the Protector's Own. It's mentioned in both AoV and WoH. It's also mentioned that the PO was formed expressly from the escapees from Hades, which by definition meant they weren't Grayson citizens (at the time).
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Duckk wrote:Honor is the permanent CO of the Protector's Own. It's mentioned in both AoV and WoH. It's also mentioned that the PO was formed expressly from the escapees from Hades, which by definition meant they weren't Grayson citizens (at the time).

Thanks Duckk. I suppose I must have been projecting my own baggage upon my own perceptions of what the Keys would have accepted without an argument. It just seems, to my warped brain, that the Protector's Own would be comprised of the most trusted, native born citizens or at least those fortunate enough to obtain trust, therefore become a part of the citizenry.

After all, the PO might find itself as the last line of defense and the Protector needs to know that he has their complete loyalty.

Oh well. I must have been struck by white lightning thinking it was the other Mountain Dew. LOL

Post by munroburton   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:41 pm

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:

I wonder why Honor/Shannon thinks it might be necessary to upgrade defences against wormhole-based assaults. Ten thousand Chekhov's cannons, eh?

I don't see the relevance. Bolthole itself does not have a wormhole terminus. On top of that, the other end of the wormhole to Calvin is deep inside Haven territory and thus probably even further away from the Alignment.

It's well established that Manticore already has massive defenses at its Junction. The firepower there is more than sufficent to defeat multiple maximum-mass transits via more than one termini. An upgrade to graser mines would be nice, but hardly essential.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

munroburton wrote:I don't see the relevance. Bolthole itself does not have a wormhole terminus. On top of that, the other end of the wormhole to Calvin is deep inside Haven territory and thus probably even further away from the Alignment.

It's well established that Manticore already has massive defenses at its Junction. The firepower there is more than sufficent to defeat multiple maximum-mass transits via more than one termini. An upgrade to graser mines would be nice, but hardly essential.

You're absolutely correct munroburton and even as I pushed the send button it crossed my mind to elaborate.

Mainly that thought stems from Honor's...

"So if there’s one place in the galaxy none of us want the people behind the Yawata Strike to find, it’s damned well Bolthole!"

Where Honor answers that question of whether she thinks the MAlign would attack Bolthole regardless of whether they should.

And even though it may not logically follow, their last attack was several prongs. They may go after Torch while they're busting up more stuff and or any other junction as well.

I've said on many occasions. I don't think the RMN can be complacent and rest on their laurels and be completely sure about their tech regarding a mostly unknown enemy with mostly lacking intelligence on their unknown enemy's tech -- that would be duplicating the SLN's arrogance.

For all the RMN knows, the MAlign can hit them with game changing tech, and fortifying the junctions even further might come in handy if the missiles are rendered useless.

Harrington knows these things. She just knows. It's her Meyerdahl B(allistic) IQ.

Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ok self. Don't be too concerned and get your copper wiring wrapped too tightly around your primary coil because the timeline seems to only have advanced by 5 months, thus far.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:It's well established that Manticore already has massive defenses at its Junction. The firepower there is more than sufficent to defeat multiple maximum-mass transits via more than one termini. An upgrade to graser mines would be nice, but hardly essential.
They may be thinking in terms of beefing up other wormhole termini - like the one at Torch, or some they captured during Loocoon.

Or, since IIRC, the current Manticoran Junction defenses are heavily missile based they may be thinking that putting in graser platforms to cover the terminus exit would let them grab back some of the MDM pods currently tasked to that role. Those pods and missiles could then be used elsewhere until Manticore's missile production gets back up to speed.

Or maybe it's mostly a learning exercise to get the Manticoran and Havenite R&D teams used to working together on fairly easy project using otherwise surplus material.

Who knows. This could just as easily be red herring as Chekov's gun.

Return to Honorverse