Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

WHAT WILL SHE WAVE

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
WHAT WILL SHE WAVE
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:01 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

:idea:

Something occurred to me. The American flag that we all know and love will not be the symbol for Sol.

WHAT WILL SHE WAVE?
  • Manticore
  • Grayson
  • Haven
  • Torch
  • Beowulf
  • Andermani Empire
AND WHAT ARE HER COLORS?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: WHAT WILL SHE WAVE
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:18 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote::idea:

Something occurred to me. The American flag that we all know and love will not be the symbol for Sol.

WHAT WILL SHE WAVE?
  • Manticore
  • Grayson
  • Haven
  • Torch
  • Beowulf
  • Andermani Empire
AND WHAT ARE HER COLORS?

I don't recall any flags is use in the Honorverse. Honor will command under the crest of Manticore. Alternatively, she could use the crest of Harrington Stedding or the Duchy of Harrington.

Sol, the Solarian League, and the SLN probably all have distinctive crests. The Solarian League seems to have a preponderance of Ukrainian bureaucrats, so perhaps the Russian Imperial Eagle for their crest.

The Rising Sun emblem for Sol would seem appropriate -- not for the Imperial Japanese connection but the Symbology of Sol/Earth rising from the ashes of the final war.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by munroburton   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:28 am

munroburton
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:I don't recall any flags is use in the Honorverse. Honor will command under the crest of Manticore. Alternatively, she could use the crest of Harrington Stedding or the Duchy of Harrington.

Sol, the Solarian League, and the SLN probably all have distinctive crests. The Solarian League seems to have a preponderance of Ukrainian bureaucrats, so perhaps the Russian Imperial Eagle for their crest.

The Rising Sun emblem for Sol would seem appropriate -- not for the Imperial Japanese connection but the Symbology of Sol/Earth rising from the ashes of the final war.

Imperial Eagle? Rising Sun? These are utterly at odds with the Solarian League's founding ideals. I would expect something more encompassing, like the UN flag:

Too bad Star Trek already claimed the logical extension of that flag.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:07 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Torch's flag could be a variation of this theme. I'm thinking a Queen holding a torch—very much like the one wielded by the Statue of Liberty—held in-between the break.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:20 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The Statues of Torch. Sits in the middle of Torch Square.

Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

To stand in for the Statue of Liberty on the tip of Torch's Liberty Island.

There simply has to be a Liberty Island.

Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Beowulf's proud flag could be some variation of either Chinese symbol for sex...

Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Grayson's flag will undoubtedly be some variation of the bible, possibly with the Sword of Grayson overlaid instead of a cross.

Post by saber964   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:42 pm

saber964
Admiral

Suggest you look at House of Steel it has several flags in it. IIRC the Star Kingdom of Manticore is the SKM's coat of arms on a read background. The Star Empire of Manticore is a smaller coat of arms and a representation of the MWJ and it's terminus. Grayson's flag is a open Bible with crossed swords on a blue background.

And speculating about the Kingdom of Torch flag. I like the idea of a flaming torch held up by a hand with shackle around the wrist with a short length of broken chain on a black background.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:Suggest you look at House of Steel it has several flags in it. IIRC the Star Kingdom of Manticore is the SKM's coat of arms on a read background. The Star Empire of Manticore is a smaller coat of arms and a representation of the MWJ and it's terminus. Grayson's flag is a open Bible with crossed swords on a blue background.

And speculating about the Kingdom of Torch flag. I like the idea of a flaming torch held up by a hand with shackle around the wrist with a short length of broken chain on a black background.

Thanks saber. I don't even have House of Steel. I keep forgetting it because my two bookstores couldn't seem to keep it after it arrived. And because I thought it simply contained all of the technical stuff that I'm totally uninterested in. Like the number of missile tubes per class of ship, etc.

Make that two books I haven't read. House of Steel and Shadow of Victory. Oh well.

A damn good guess I made about Grayson's flag, though that one is pretty much intuitive.

Torch's seem to be clear-cut as well, yet Beowulf and the Andermani are tough. Though I'll stick with some variation of the Beowulf symbol for sex for now.

Return to Honorverse