Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests

Is bounty hunting a thing in honorverse?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Is bounty hunting a thing in honorverse?
Post by Rednek731   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:12 am

Rednek731
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

This might be one of many things I forgot from reading the main series, but I can't help but wonder if there is an equivalent profession. After all, the series is sort of based on the time period of the age of sail, and there are pirates and other crooks roaming the Galaxy.
Re: Is bounty hunting a thing in honorverse?
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Rednek731 wrote:This might be one of many things I forgot from reading the main series, but I can't help but wonder if there is an equivalent profession. After all, the series is sort of based on the time period of the age of sail, and there are pirates and other crooks roaming the Galaxy.

Denver Summervale was a bounty hunter until a bounty hunted him.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Rednek731   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:21 am

Rednek731

That's contract killing, I'm talking about hunting criminals.
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:23 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Rednek731 wrote:This might be one of many things I forgot from reading the main series, but I can't help but wonder if there is an equivalent profession. After all, the series is sort of based on the time period of the age of sail, and there are pirates and other crooks roaming the Galaxy.

Seeing as bounties are paid for each pirate and pirate ship "neutralised" in one way or another, I suppose most spacers can be classified as bounty hunters.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Rednek731 wrote:That's contract killing, I'm talking about hunting criminals.

In that case, I suppose the whole of the GA are bounty hunters hunting the perpetrators of Oyster Bay.

The treecats signed on for free.

<No payment necessary. This one's on the house>

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:35 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Bachfish was always fishing for bounty.

Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It surely seems that a verse as robust as the Honorverse would have a need for bounty hunters, with all of the countermeasures available to a bounty to run and hide, with benefit of biosculpt and so many systems in which to flee.

Yet a hunter would almost certainly run into legal problems in those systems that cater to the criminal element as some do with pirates, that would deny extradition. Like the city of Maytag.

Post by Rednek731   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:06 pm

Rednek731

cthia wrote:
Rednek731 wrote:That's contract killing, I'm talking about hunting criminals.

In that case, I suppose the whole of the GA are bounty hunters hunting the perpetrators of Oyster Bay.

The treecats signed on for free.

<No payment necessary. This one's on the house>

Lol yeah I guess you could look at it that way
Post by Rednek731   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Rednek731

cthia wrote:It surely seems that a verse as robust as the Honorverse would have a need for bounty hunters, with all of the countermeasures available to a bounty to run and hide, with benefit of biosculpt and so many systems in which to flee.

Yet a hunter would almost certainly run into legal problems in those systems that cater to the criminal element as some do with pirates, that would deny extradition. Like the city of Maytag.

I'm sure the term plausible deniability comes into play here somehow, besides I'm assuming that if there were professional bounty hunters some of them would be self employed, possibly having experience working around the law when necessary.
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:45 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

It depends on your definition and the jurisdiction. If someone's profession is locating people for whom law enforcement has have posted rewards for their apprehension and returning them to the appropriate jurisdiction to stand trial, then they're bounty hunters in the strict sense.

Here in the US, in most jurisdictions bounty hunters usually work for bail bond services and require a license. In many jurisdictions (still in the US) they have extraordinary powers to track down and apprehend people who have skipped bail.

Are there bounty hunters in the Honorverse? Given the diversity of planets in the Verge, I'd be very surprised if there weren't. I'd be just as surprised if they worked on any kind of interstellar basis, or had anything to do with interstellar piracy.

Return to Honorverse