Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 51 guests

Did any members of the Manticoran Alliance join the GA?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Did any members of the Manticoran Alliance join the GA?
Post by Rednek731   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Rednek731
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Aside from Grayson, I don't know if I saw any evidence to suggest that anyone else actually joined up to fight the League. Not that I'd blame them, even with military and tech advantages as well as having guys like Manticore, Haven, and Grayson in the same corner as you, I'd probably not want to fight what was, until very recent memory, the "invincible 800 kilo-ton space gorilla" everyone got so used to being afraid of. Plus I'd call it a case of "not my problem" or "not what I signed up for", since they were fighting the much smaller Haven. Still, I'm just wondering if I'd missed something, and also how likely it would be if those other nations got involved in the war.
Re: Did any members of the Manticoran Alliance join the GA?
Post by Duckk   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

The passage from ART suggests that most were at least willing to jump onboard:

Still, if someone had told her she and Pritchart could accomplish this much, agree to this much, in only seven days, she would have suggested they be confined in a nice, safe cell. Yes, there were still huge gray areas, but what they'd gotten down in written form proved that knowing one was about to be hanged (or invaded by the Solarian League) truly did concentrate one's mind wonderfully. This treaty, rough as it was, created an alliance between the Star Empire of Manticore and the Republic of Haven which committed each of them to the defense of the other. There hadn't been time —with one exception — to consult with the Star Empire's allies, but Eloise had been careful to bring every one of those allies' ambassadors on board, and most of them had initialed the draft on their governments' behalfs. The Andermani ambassador hadn't, yet that was hardly surprising, given the traditional Andermani realpolitik. By the same token (and for the same reasons), he hadn't voiced any official opposition to it, either, though, and the Andermani Empire was an "associated power" rather than a full member of the Manticoran Alliance, anyway.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Rednek731   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Rednek731
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

ah, thank you for pointing that out. I honestly don't know how I missed that.
Post by saber964   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:53 pm

saber964
Admiral

Rednek731 wrote:ah, thank you for pointing that out. I honestly don't know how I missed that.

The rest may be under the premise of joining wether they like or not. I don't see the SL seeing any differences between Manticore and say Casca or Zanzibar. Plus they might figure they may be easier targets.
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:01 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Duckk,

Excellent point, but it should be Elizabeth, not Eloise!
:o :lol:

Granted I'm one of the many volunteers here to proofread any new material to catch them. ;)

All the best,

L

Duckk wrote:The passage from ART suggests that most were at least willing to jump onboard:

Still, if someone had told her she and Pritchart could accomplish this much, agree to this much, in only seven days, she would have suggested they be confined in a nice, safe cell. Yes, there were still huge gray areas, but what they'd gotten down in written form proved that knowing one was about to be hanged (or invaded by the Solarian League) truly did concentrate one's mind wonderfully. This treaty, rough as it was, created an alliance between the Star Empire of Manticore and the Republic of Haven which committed each of them to the defense of the other. There hadn't been time —with one exception — to consult with the Star Empire's allies, but Eloise had been careful to bring every one of those allies' ambassadors on board, and most of them had initialed the draft on their governments' behalfs. The Andermani ambassador hadn't, yet that was hardly surprising, given the traditional Andermani realpolitik. By the same token (and for the same reasons), he hadn't voiced any official opposition to it, either, though, and the Andermani Empire was an "associated power" rather than a full member of the Manticoran Alliance, anyway.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:38 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Duckk wrote:The passage from ART suggests that most were at least willing to jump onboard:

[/quote]

Makes sense. When the big guys start fighting, the little guys need some form of shelter. Why would Zanzibar or Casca want to be on its own? Talk about a great target for commerce raiding.

Try telling the leaders of the GA to sod off and the come crying when some of Kingsford's ships shatter your trade.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:23 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:Makes sense. When the big guys start fighting, the little guys need some form of shelter. Why would Zanzibar or Casca want to be on its own? Talk about a great target for commerce raiding.
Not unless Manticore took their system defense installations with them when they left the alliance. :D

The scale of fixed defenses that we saw during the last Havenite raid on Zanzibar would wreck multiple battle squadrons of wallers, much less anything that would plausibly be deployed for commerce raiding.

Still, staying in the alliance ensures continued RMN support for those system defenses, and probably puts you in a good position to benefit from the economic advantages of peace and new trade inside the Haven quadrant. (And the downsides seem minor - you're not much more likely to be attacking as a signed member of the GA than you are as someone known to have been associated with 'renegade' Manticore.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:31 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:Makes sense. When the big guys start fighting, the little guys need some form of shelter. Why would Zanzibar or Casca want to be on its own? Talk about a great target for commerce raiding.
Not unless Manticore took their system defense installations with them when they left the alliance. :D

The scale of fixed defenses that we saw during the last Havenite raid on Zanzibar would wreck multiple battle squadrons of wallers, much less anything that would plausibly be deployed for commerce raiding.

Still, staying in the alliance ensures continued RMN support for those system defenses, and probably puts you in a good position to benefit from the economic advantages of peace and new trade inside the Haven quadrant. (And the downsides seem minor - you're not much more likely to be attacking as a signed member of the GA than you are as someone known to have been associated with 'renegade' Manticore.

But those worlds signed on before Filereta got his head handed to him. I suspect they saw membership in the GA as the best chance of staying off the OFS menu. If the SEM loses, they all lose anyway. If the SEM wins as they have a habit of doing, they continue their blissful existence developing the Haven Quadrant economic sphere.

So, I agree the downsides of joining are small once OFS targeted their environs.

Return to Honorverse