Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Cooling down the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Cooling down the Honorverse
Post by Nyssa   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:13 am

Nyssa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

There is a device made of handwavium. Handwavium can store a near infinite amount of heat without radiating any.
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Nyssa wrote:There is a device made of handwavium. Handwavium can store a near infinite amount of heat without radiating any.

:lol:

Indeed Nyssa. Yet that is intuitive isn't it? Handwavium, as in waving ones hand over ones bowl of soup, cools it.

Although, waving my hand over my face after seeing a beautiful girl never really cooled my hots for her.

:oops: :D :oops:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Nyssa   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:29 am

Nyssa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Handwavium, and related materials such as unobtanium and improbabilium, are the secret to Honorverse tech. There used to be thread on there properties, but I think it got lost.
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Nyssa wrote:Handwavium, and related materials such as unobtanium and improbabilium, are the secret to Honorverse tech. There used to be thread on there properties, but I think it got lost.
They are very rare elements—that if mixed properly, applied sparingly and used wisely—counteracts the very plentiful element, unbelievium.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:55 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Nyssa wrote:Handwavium, and related materials such as unobtanium and improbabilium, are the secret to Honorverse tech. There used to be thread on there properties, but I think it got lost.

Nyssa,

That topic is here

http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1001&hilit=Handwavium#p20778
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I didn't come across unachievium, which denies the impossible acceleration of HH missiles.

But a reader has to supply his own respectium for the author's insistium of the medium, which is a result of his rightium.

Or to make it simpler, one can simply electium to bring ones own believium (BYOB) to the partium.

My spellchecker wants to know what the hellium is going onium and if I wanted to includium allium in memorium.

I simply told my spell checker to ignorium, and to blame it all on Trumpium, which is the high degree of having a tendency not to be able to spell a damn bitium.

He misspelled honor as honer.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/26/politics/ ... index.html

Post by Daryl   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I won't do the maths, but in a universe where the energy can be found to accelerate a 6MT space ship at 500gs indefinitely, or a hand held pulsar can rapidly fire darts each of which has the energy of a 50 cal round (without breaking the shooter's wrist), I don't quibble about trifling things like waste heat. Presumably it gets dumped in where ever the energy came from.
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Daryl wrote:I won't do the maths, but in a universe where the energy can be found to accelerate a 6MT space ship at 500gs indefinitely, or a hand held pulsar can rapidly fire darts each of which has the energy of a 50 cal round (without breaking the shooter's wrist), I don't quibble about trifling things like waste heat. Presumably it gets dumped in where ever the energy came from.

It's one of the mysteries of the universe like why it was only the guys in red shirts dying in the Star Trek Universe.

Have faith!
Post by phillies   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:58 pm

phillies
Admiral

Indeed,I believe there is textev for that. The heat gets dumped into the wedge.

Daryl wrote:I won't do the maths, but in a universe where the energy can be found to accelerate a 6MT space ship at 500gs indefinitely, or a hand held pulsar can rapidly fire darts each of which has the energy of a 50 cal round (without breaking the shooter's wrist), I don't quibble about trifling things like waste heat. Presumably it gets dumped in where ever the energy came from.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:31 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:It's one of the mysteries of the universe like why it was only the guys in red shirts dying in the Star Trek Universe.

Have faith!

And even more inexplicable it wasn't just anybody in red shirts, a chromatic accouterment shared by security and engineering; yet somehow the later managed to deflect the rapid onset mortality that persistently dogged the former.

Return to Honorverse