Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Reading Reading... Honor Amoung Enemies

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Reading Reading... Honor Amoung Enemies
Post by Fireflair   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:13 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Good points, Jonathan. The PRH was definitely focusing on mobile units, just like everyone else, once the war began. I'm not sure what the thinking was with regards to Trevor's Star and it's wormhole, though. The security of Trevor's Star, I believe, would be critical to Haven.

The RoH captured San Martin specifically for the economic boost that would have come from possession of the Trevor's Star wormhole. They would have wanted to hold on to it, but wouldn't have expected Manticore to attack through it. As noted earlier, the RoH was expecting to dictate the time and place of the war's opening acts and they were sure Manticore wouldn't.

Once the war started Haven would want to hold on to Trevor's Star for several reasons. One, it's a way to go directly to Manticore and take the fight to the Manti's home system.

Two, if the Manti's get a hold of Trevor's Star it improves the RMN's position tremendously. This is discussed multiple times before the White Haven takes Trevor's Star. The improved logistics and shortcut to the PRH space is a huge benefit to the RMN.

With that in mind, before the war began, I'd have thought that some forts might have been appropriate. (Finances allowing, which I have said I doubted they could cough up the money for.) Once the war began, mining the place and stationing powerful mobile forces to prevent an RMN sally through the wormhole would be the correct action.

Regardless, at the time of HAE, I feel that Trevor's Star would have had to be important to the security of the PRH because of how much possession of it would have helped Manticore.
Re: Reading Reading... Honor Amoung Enemies
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:20 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Fireflair wrote:Good points, Jonathan. The PRH was definitely focusing on mobile units, just like everyone else, once the war began. I'm not sure what the thinking was with regards to Trevor's Star and it's wormhole, though. The security of Trevor's Star, I believe, would be critical to Haven.

The RoH captured San Martin specifically for the economic boost that would have come from possession of the Trevor's Star wormhole. They would have wanted to hold on to it, but wouldn't have expected Manticore to attack through it. As noted earlier, the RoH was expecting to dictate the time and place of the war's opening acts and they were sure Manticore wouldn't.

Once the war started Haven would want to hold on to Trevor's Star for several reasons. One, it's a way to go directly to Manticore and take the fight to the Manti's home system.

Two, if the Manti's get a hold of Trevor's Star it improves the RMN's position tremendously. This is discussed multiple times before the White Haven takes Trevor's Star. The improved logistics and shortcut to the PRH space is a huge benefit to the RMN.

With that in mind, before the war began, I'd have thought that some forts might have been appropriate. (Finances allowing, which I have said I doubted they could cough up the money for.) Once the war began, mining the place and stationing powerful mobile forces to prevent an RMN sally through the wormhole would be the correct action.

Regardless, at the time of HAE, I feel that Trevor's Star would have had to be important to the security of the PRH because of how much possession of it would have helped Manticore.

I think they were more interested in holding the planet and system than maintaining continuous control of the terminus. Whatever infrastructure they'd put in to support their fleet presence there almost assuredly (based on logic and what RFC said about lack of infrastructure at the terminus) was in orbit around San Martin -- deep within the hyper limit and far safer from hit and run raids.

Wormhole termini - inevitably being located outside the hyper limit - are more vulnerable to quick raids (as the Peeps attempted, unsuccessfully, later at Basilisk).

I'd assume Haven felt that if they held the system they could come and kick out any Mantie force that might temporarily grab the wormhole - but if they held the wormhole they be more vulnerable (again beyond the hyper limit) and they couldn't quickly replace whatever orbital or resource extraction infrastructure was deeper in-system if the Manties ignored them out there and just did a flyby raid through the system.

It didn't quite work out, but I'm not sure investing in forts for the terminus would have left them any better off.

Return to Honorverse