Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

GA response to SL attempts to prevent seccessions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: GA response to SL attempts to prevent seccessions
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:01 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:I don't get it.

Your post also nullifies the need for all of the discussion in every other area up for consideration up to and including the present thread. There would also have been no worry of being attacked by any other navy. There was no Battle Fleet. No OFS. There was no rampant corruption. No worry about an Eridani violation. The Eridani Edict wasn't penned until 1410. There would also be no need to worry about appendages succeeding in the middle of a war. And the appendages certainly didn't have to worry about the League in the manner that they do now.

The Leagues' Constitution has been amended, what, over a hundred times? Heck, was their a League in the Middle Ages? LOL

Obviously, my stance, in trying to entertain this thread and the possible options and legal paths that the League might pursue (again, I'm a Manty too) is obviously pursuant to a time when the League began to put on pounds and become obese with power too big for its breeches—replete with corruption, bloated spheres of influence with the annexation of systems spread all over God's creation (at a time there still was a God and he wasn't the Mandarins), a hamstrung government and a 'Brotherhood of Mandarins' too big to tame. Considering anything else is illogical.
First, you were the one who was talking about the League having an incomparable navy when the Constitution was written. I'm sorry if I misunderstood that to mean when it was originally written. My post was (in an admittedly very long winded way) primarily explaining why that couldn't have been true way back then.

Yes their constitution has been amended, and more than 100 times. (IIRC the Edict was something like the 119th amendment).

But I'm having serious trouble believing that the League (which still didn't manage to amend in permission to directly tax the governments or systems within it, nor to interfere at all with their internal operation) at some point decided and got unanimous support for an amendment making it harder for systems to leave -- just because the SLN had grown into a behemoth. (Especially since David did confirm that it is still blatantly unconstitutional to force a system to remain in the League)[/quote]

All of that means nothing. There was no right to secede from Britain. That's why Jefferson et al. wrote the Declaration of Independence. But there was nothing at all that said a colony could leave.

Note the problems that Gandhi had in the 20th century. There were no provisions for India's leaving. British politicians spoke of their "duty" towards India. But he got them out.

Same here. The League can say all they want. If Beowulf wants to go and it can enforce that, it will go. If the League can force it back, it will stay.

If they can damage Beowulf greatly, the mandarins have to know they could face some damage themselves.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:13 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi guys,

cthia, I don't think MAlign assassins are in the Mandarins' near futures, because they're already doing exactly what the MAlign wants, since all but Kolokoltsov [since we can read his mind] could be MAlign "agents of influence" or shills from their own words, which so far is all we have to indite them.

Granted the MAlign will clean up any loose ends at the appropriate time, the way it literally disappeared Descroix, which may include Kolokoltsov, to keep him from putting all the pieces together, which he could easily do, once he realizes or faces a few facts; but that is still beyond the horizon, at least until UH next spring...

I've tried before to have the forum choose, recognise, or vote for who are the most likely MAlign stooges or agents among the mandarins; Kolokoltsov isn't even though he takes Manpower etc bribes, mainly since those are just the background perks of the job, rather than actively pushing MAlign objectives, my definition for the agents or shills.

Malachai Abruzzi of E&I, could be an agent from what we know but he could also be like Kolokoltsov, or strongly influenced by a MAlign agent on his staff, which we have not seen for Innokentiy.

Nathan MacArtney, of the Interior, is probably a stooge, generally too stupid to need to be an agent, but occasionally showing surprising insight, NTM serious concern, so he might be a genuine patsy.

Omosupe Quartermain, of Commerce, could very well be a MAlign agent herself, or very strongly influenced at the very least given her extremely detailed comments about Simoe, Mesa, etc.

Agata Woodoslawski, of the Treasury, could also easily be a MAlign agent, inserted upon the death of her predecessor, being as arranged as Gweon's; her comments aren't quite as damning as Omosupe's, but close.

Rajampet Rajani, of the SLN, just the next tier down but on a first name basis with the mandarins, we know he was at least a very willing tool of the MAlign, possibly an example or model type for the candidates above; carrying out their orders for oodles of discrete money hidden away, without ever recognizing the obvious clues thanks to his stupid prejudices, but knew too much or might accidentally reveal too much to be left to meet the mandarins to answer for his disastrous decisions the MAlign ordered.

While Winston Kingsford does not appear to be cut from the same cloth, its really too late for him to save the SL, which is why Gweon is all the MAlign needs with him.

Innokentiy is quietly recognized as the most powerful man in the SL or interstellar humanity [IH], so the three primary cited suspects could be there to independently and collectively influence him into carrying out MAlign objectives, which he has throughout the crisis with the SEM.

So I can see the guilty ones fleeing or disappearing at the appropriate moment, leaving Kolokoltsov literally holding the bag, who only then begins to put the pieces together, too late to tell anyone.

KZT, your suggestion could happen, but 'deus ex machina' isn't RFC's style, rather its the 'rifle over the fireplace' that he's obviously foreshadowed.

The marines are smart enough to see the mandarins are still very popular in the Sol system and the core worlds, so the coup marines wouldn't last very long at all.

If their coup comes after the destruction of the BF reserve, where the GA demonstrates to all observers [which it certainly doesn't have to, but might if trying again to save SLN lives etc] that it ain't just longer ranged missiles that make the GA so vastly superior that the SLN is virtually helpless despite their greater numbers, ie their future survival depends more at the whim of the GA CO's than anything they can do themselves to stop GA, which would then be a great motivator for such a coup, but I don't see that is where RFC intends to go either.

I suspect smart FF officers like those we've seen will begin to carve out their own fiefdoms when they see the SL crashing but they will be much more local in scope, ie warlord of only one or a few systems for now, since that's how Gustav Anderman got started; certainly not trying to save or take over the whole SL since its obviously too big, too vastly difficult, NTM not enough time, to ever truly consider such a project.

MunroBurton, given how often RFC is now providing background prequel material, we could see quite a bit of such explanations in the next story arc, then again it may be a really long book to finish off this story arc.

Which would be very nice for us longtime Honor Harrington fans. 8-)

This may be overlong, but your thoughts and comments will still be appreciated.

L

The Mandarins' authority is dropping like a rock. I think it's far more likely there will eventually be attempts to remove them. Possibly a Restoration as above, a "Colonels' coup" or most likely in my opinion, Mesan assassins. By then it will be too late and will simply add to the confusion.quote
I could easily see a SL marine led coup that essentially shoots the top 2-3 tiers of the bureaucracy as being hopeless corrupt and puts someone in place who intends to fix things. This would likely not be good for the SEM...

LOL

Something I've suggested eons ago. The Mandarins are indirectly on the Manties side. Mesan assassins targeting the Mandarins would be a plot nicety. Though I rather doubt just one more book could adequately deal with such a plot hand.[/quote][/quote]

I doubt any of the mandarins are actually MAlign agents. RFC would probably have noted something about it somewhere. What they are is simple: bureaucrats. Their loyalty is to themselves and then they rationalize everything around that.

Keep in mind that all of them have been around for a real long time. This is a prolong society and it takes time to rise to the top. For all of that time, their one real problem was to get to the top.

Recall Napoleon who suggested not blaming malevolence for incompetence.

When they began to deal with Manticore, they had no idea how to do it.They did not have to be agents to screw up. They followed all the old rules. They had their navy ready to go.

Only after Byng really screwed up did they have to deal with reality and it was clear that until Crandall they had no idea how badly off they were. Filareta made that very clear.

Even then, they are fighting the previous centuries' battles. They assume that they still have power at a time when everything is going against them. They might control a lot of the media but people learn things, bad things.

With the kind of losses taken by Filareta, a real lot of worlds will be feeling some impact from that battle. The navy will not be eager to essentially go on suicide missions.

A lot of planets will succeed in seceding. If a lot of damage is done in an attack on Beowulf, I would guess there will be retaliation. That will hurt.

The most effective action would be the destruction of the navy's bases off Earth and the orbital infrastructure around the home planet. If trade is shattered, even the paid mobs will take notice.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:First, you were the one who was talking about the League having an incomparable navy when the Constitution was written. I'm sorry if I misunderstood that to mean when it was originally written. My post was (in an admittedly very long winded way) primarily explaining why that couldn't have been true way back then.

Yes their constitution has been amended, and more than 100 times. (IIRC the Edict was something like the 119th amendment).

But I'm having serious trouble believing that the League (which still didn't manage to amend in permission to directly tax the governments or systems within it, nor to interfere at all with their internal operation) at some point decided and got unanimous support for an amendment making it harder for systems to leave -- just because the SLN had grown into a behemoth. (Especially since David did confirm that it is still blatantly unconstitutional to force a system to remain in the League)

All of that means nothing. There was no right to secede from Britain. That's why Jefferson et al. wrote the Declaration of Independence. But there was nothing at all that said a colony could leave.

Note the problems that Gandhi had in the 20th century. There were no provisions for India's leaving. British politicians spoke of their "duty" towards India. But he got them out.

Same here. The League can say all they want. If Beowulf wants to go and it can enforce that, it will go. If the League can force it back, it will stay.

If they can damage Beowulf greatly, the mandarins have to know they could face some damage themselves.

In one respect you are of course correct. If the League can (as seems very unlikely) use military force to keep Beowulf then the written constitutional right to secede means nothing.

However whether resting a secession attempt is legal within the existing legal framework can have major impacts on how the general public and also surrounding nations react to the attempt.

If the British constitution had had a Brexit clause and King George had sent troops anyway it's possible that several other colonies might have also revolted over the flagellant violation of colonial rights.

Or if the US Constitution had had such a clause and Lincoln's Union had attempted to contest it he probably would have had more trouble raising his volunteer (and later drafted) army and the South would likely have gotten more foreign support.

So while ultimately, yes, a secession is only possible if the seceding party is let got or can successfully enforce their decision whether they're working within the rules or violating them isn't a trivial effect on how things play out.

Military bully Beowulf (as it seems like the SLN is going to try to) and I'd guess "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers"
Post by pappilon   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:21 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Very interesting. IIRC [dubious] secession has never been done or tried or denied before. This is the first and, therefore, the trial case. Seems I read one of the Mandarins expressing this and that they should get [he named someone specific] can always find enough legal precedent that the right of secessi0on has long since withered and died from lack of use.

Would prefer citing textev. Unfortunately I'm 3 days under level 3 evacuation notice and sitting in a red cross shelter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:Very interesting. IIRC [dubious] secession has never been done or tried or denied before. This is the first and, therefore, the trial case. Seems I read one of the Mandarins expressing this and that they should get [he named someone specific] can always find enough legal precedent that the right of secessi0on has long since withered and died from lack of use.

Would prefer citing textev. Unfortunately I'm 3 days under level 3 evacuation notice and sitting in a red cross shelter

You are absolutely correct pappilon. It is all found in Chapter 35 of A Rising Thunder. There is also a lot of other niceties found therein.

Do pardon my posting the entire chapter, but all is apropos.

Do note the support of what I was trying to lay down with the Mandarins holding back the legal maneuvering, as a hole card, and as a last resort.

Do also note the generous use of the notion of precedence.

A Risng Thunder Chapter 35 wrote:“So are you still so blasé about who easily Reid’s motion is going to ‘neutralize’ Beowulf, Innokentiy?” Nathan MacArtney’s voice was rather caustic, Innokentiy Kolokoltsov thought.

“I was never ‘blasé’ about it, Nathan,” the permanent senior undersecretary for foreign affairs replied. “And I never said it would neutralize them. I said I expected it to shift the focus of the debate from us to Beowulf and put a muzzle on Hadley, and I think that’s exactly what’s happening. I’ll admit I never expected even Beowulfers to go this far , and sure as hell not to go this far this quickly, but it does look like were going to take Beowulf out of play in the Chamber of Stars, doesn’t it? I believe it’s called looking for a silver lining.” He smiled thinly. “Since we can’t do anything to stop it, we might as well try to find a bright side to look on once it’s done.”

Hadley’s bombshell announcement had completely blindsided him. He admitted it. He’d envisioned quite a few possible outcomes of Reid’s motion, but never that Beowulf would simply walk away from its seven centuries of membership in the League. No one had ever done that, and most people had assumed that, like so much more of the original Constitution, the right of secession had withered and was no longer applicable.

Beowulf’s government obviously didn’t see it that way, and while the system’s secession had not yet become a fact, there seemed to be very little chance of the plebiscite failing. Benton-Ramirez and his fellow directors undoubtedly had better access to polling data on Beowulfan public opinion than anyone on Old Earth did, but what the Mandarins did have access to made grim reading. At least eighty-two percent of the system population supported the Board of Directors’ decision to accept Manticoran assistance to prevent Imogene Tsang’s transit of the Beowulf Terminus against Beowulf’s wishes. An only slightly lower percentage—seventy-five to seventy-eight percent, depending on whose poll one chose—firmly believed it had prevented thousands of additional Solarian deaths. And somewhere around eighty-five percent favored an outright military alliance with the Star Empire against the boogie man of this “Mesan Alignment” figment of the Manties’ imagination. It was only a very short step from an alliance against Mesa to one against anyone perceived as serving the “Mesan Alignment’s” purposes, and while Kolokoltsov hadn’t seen any specific data on the question of outright secession from the Solarian League, against that sort of public opinion background, he was sickly certain Hadley was right about the final vote on the question.

Worse, there seemed to be very little the federal government could do to stop it from happening. Not with the Royal Manticoran Navy and its allies only a single wormhole transit away. That was bad enough, but according to his agents within the Assembly, it appeared the system delegations of Strathmore, Kenichi, and Galen were strongly inclined to recommend that their own star systems follow Beowulf’s example! He didn’t know if any of them had actually made their recommendations yet, but their system governments certainly seemed angry enough to take the plunge once they did, especially if Beowulf succeeded in its defiance of the entire League, and the thought was terrifying. The average population of the four star systems was over six billion, and the decision of twenty-four billion Solarian citizens to withdraw would be a body blow to the federal government’s authority and prestige.

No, he thought, not to the federal government, but to the federal system. To us, sitting right here. And, damn it, sometimes I think they’d be right! But what other alternative is there? We can’t reform a system that’s been in place for the better part of a thousand Tyears on the run. Especially not in the middle of a military and constitutional crisis! The entire League would come apart! Before we can fix the League’s problems—assuming anyone can fix them—we have to hold it together long enough to be fixed.

“Well, personally, I don’t think your silver lining’s especially bright,” MacArtney said sourly. “I’ve been hearing from a lot of people who aren’t any too happy about the invasion highway Beowulf offers if the Manties decide to come after us right here. For that matter, I’m not too crazy about it either!”

“The worst thing the Manties could possibly do—from their perspective, not ours—is to attack the Sol System.” Kolokoltsov barked a laugh. “In fact, I wish they would! It’s the one thing I can think of practically guaranteed to get all the Core Worlds lined up to back us!”

“You really think so?” Agatá Wodoslawski sounded doubtful. “I mean, if they—and the Havenites, too; let’s not forget them—were to take out Old Terra, you don’t think that would terrify the rest of the League into throwing in the towel?”

“Only in the shortest possible term,” Kolokoltsov said positively. “Personally, I think it would convince most of the other Core Worlds that the Manties and their friends are just as expansionist and arrogant as we’ve been telling them they were all along. It would sure as hell knock any notion of distant, plucky little neobarbs defending themselves against Solarian aggression on the head and turn them into cynical imperialists striking at the very heart of the greatest star nation in human history! The most likely thing for the rest of the Core Worlds to do in that case would be to sue for a cease-fire just long enough to figure out how to build matching missiles of their own, then hammer this ‘Grand Alliance’ flat, and the Manties have to know it.”

He shook his head and looked straight at MacArtney even as he spoke to Wodoslawski. “I don’t see the Manties wanting to pump that kind of hydrogen into the fire, Agatá. Not unless we drive them to it. For that matter , I don’t see Beowulf wanting to piss off so many of its neighbors by allowing that sort of attack. Whatever happens to the League, eventually Beowulf’s going to have to live with the star systems around it again. If the Beowulfers stick that kind of knife into the League’s back, most of those star systems are going to be gunning for them once the smoke clears and the tech imbalance has leveled out again.”

“Assuming the damned Beowulfers are smart enough to figure that out,” MacArtney grumbled.

“I think they are,” Kolokoltsov said with just a bit more confidence than he actually felt. “Maybe so,” Wodoslawski said, “but there are other factors to consider . Like what’s going to happen if someone else decides to follow Beowulf’s example on this one. It could turn out Beowulf’s only the first drop of rain, and if that happens, we may find out just
how badly screwed we really are.”

Kolokoltsov grimaced and decided—again—not to mention his agents’ reports about Beowulf’s neighbors. There’d be time for that once he’d been able to confirm the accuracy of those reports. But the permanent senior undersecretary of the treasury had a point, and he nodded as he was forced to concede it.

“That’s one of the things I’m hearing about from the transstellars, too,” MacArtney said. “They’re all worried that even if the Manties don’t use Beowulf to go after the League from the inside out, Beowulf’s example is going to cause other Core Worlds to decide to sit this one out. That’d be bad enough, but what happens when the Shell hears about this?” He shook his head. “You know that even a lot of the League members systems out there aren’t all that fond of our policies. I won’t say they feel as exploited as the Protectorates and the Verge, but they know we’ve consistently favored the Core World economies over their own. And a lot of them are a hell of a lot closer to Manticore and Haven than they are to us, even leaving the wormhole network out of the equation. If they see us starting to shed Core Systems, what’s to keep them from deciding to jump ship and look for a better deal out of the Manties, too?”

What you mean, Nathan, Kolokoltsov thought, is that your buddies in the transstellars are worried about somebody’s seceding from the League and nationalizing their investments. That’s what they’re really worried about. And it’s what they’re turning the screws on you about, too. They could care less whether or not the entire Shell stays in the League as long as it went on being business as usual for them! Which it won’t, of course, if the people they’ve been exploiting for so long see a chance to get out from under them.

He nodded gravely once more, keeping his thoughts out of his expression. And the truth was that what MacArtney was describing would become an all too plausible scenario if things went all the way south on them. For that matter , Kolokoltsov had entertained the occasional nightmare about what would happen if the transstellars started trying to cut deals with the Manties. Given the way their tentacles completely permeated the League, they could do an enormous amount of damage if they decided to throw in openly—or , possibly even worse, clandestinely—with the Manties and Havenites. He had no idea how likely the Manties would be to accept an offer like that, but he never doubted that the “loyal and patriotic” men and women who ran the transstellars would make it in a heartbeat if they thought it would benefit them. Which meant he had to keep them happy —or as happy as he could, at least—too.

Wonderful.
“I think Nathan has a point,” Omosupe Quartermain said. She didn’t much like MacArtney, and she didn’t sound very happy about supporting him, but the permanent senior undersecretary of commerce was probably the only person hearing more from nervous transstellars than he was. “I just have this feeling the avalanche is still accelerating,” she continued, looking around at the holographic faces of the electronic conference room. “It’s only going to get worse and worse, at least for the immediate future, and if we don’t do something to at least slow it down, we may run out of time to do anything else.”

Wodoslawski looked at her colleague, and Kolokoltsov’s heart sank as the permanent senior undersecretary of the treasury nodded slowly. The nature of Wodoslawski and Quartermain’s responsibilities meant the two female Mandarins ended up supporting one another more often than not, and Kolokoltsov didn’t like the way he thought this was headed.

“What would you like us to do to try and slow it up, Omosupe?” Malachai Abruzzi asked.

“I don’t know,” Quartermain admitted. She raised her right hand, waving it in an uncharacteristically helpless, worried gesture. “I just know that if we let Beowulf do this, if we just stand back and wave goodbye, we’re establishing a precedent. The exact kind of precedent Nathan’s worrying about where the Shell systems are concerned. Right this minute, the jury’s still out on whether or not Beowulf really does have the constitutional right to leave. But if we let them go, aren’t we saying for all the galaxy to see that they do? And if they do, then every member system does!”

“Maybe, but the simple truth of the matter is that we can’t stop them,” Abruzzi pointed out with unwonted gentleness. “They’ve got to have a hundred or so Manty SDs sitting on top of the Beowulf Terminus right this minute. After what happened to Filareta, we all know what would happen if we got into shooting range of them, too.” He shrugged. “That constitutes a pretty conclusive rejoinder as to whether or not we have the ‘right’ to stop them, I’m afraid.”

“But the fact that we can’t stop them doesn’t mean we have to condone their actions,” MacArtney said, his expression mulish. “Meaning what?” Kolokoltsov asked.

“Meaning we don’t have to admit their actions are legal.” MacArtney tapped an index finger on his desk for emphasis. “We can condemn them, announce that they’re illegal, and that we intend to take firm action at the earliest possible moment.”

“Which will only underscore the fact that we can’t take any kind of ‘firm action’ right now,”
Abruzzi retorted. “It’d make us look ridiculous, Nathan!”

“Maybe, and maybe not,” Quartermain said, her expression suddenly hopeful. “Oh, I agree it would underscore the fact that we can’t take action against Beowulf, but the entire League knows Beowulf’s in a very special astrographic position, thanks to its direct connection to Manticore. Most people understand how that limits our options where it’s concerned. But if we make that our guiding principle, then we’ll have positioned ourselves to react…more forcefully in the case of star systems we can actually reach.”

“Basically, you’re saying we reject anyone’s right to secede, whatever they may think the Constitution says, and use force to prevent any additional secessions?” Wodoslawski said with the air of a woman wanting to be certain there was no confusion on the point.

“If we have to,” Quartermain replied unflinchingly. “I don’t like the thought, and, frankly, there are a lot of potential secessionist systems we probably couldn’t reach militarily. But we’d be able to reach a lot of them, and if they don’t have the super missiles the Manties and the Havenites do, Frontier Fleet should be more than capable of keeping them in line.”

“We probably could,” Abruzzi conceded. “It’d be hard to spin that as anything except us using the iron fist, though. I mean, after everything else we’ve already had to throw out
there in the ’faxes since this thing began.”

“Well, if we’re going to take the position that Beowulf has no right to secede,” MacArtney said, “then Hadley and the rest of their delegation have just committed treason.” He smiled nastily. “That being the case, I think they should be arrested and prevented from leaving the system!”

Oh, that’s a marvelous idea, Kolokoltsov thought bitterly. “Nathan’s probably right,” Quartermain put in, and Wodoslawski was nodding again. “And if we’re talking about arresting the bastards for treason over this secession crap,” MacArtney went on, “I think we should consider whether or not their decision to harbor Carmichael doesn’t constitute another act of treason!” His smile was even uglier than before. “If we put the arm on them, then we’re in a position to put the arm on him, as well.”

“Whoa! Just slow down, Nathan!” Abruzzi said sharply. “If we start throwing terms like ‘treason’ around now, and start strong-arming Assembly delegates before this plebiscite of theirs has even been voted on, the rest of the delegates are going to raise merry hell. Not because they’re all that fond of Beowulf, either! You think they won’t see that as a precedent that could come home to bite them, too?”

“I’m not so sure it would be a bad thing if they did,” MacArtney shot back. “If they figure out we’re going to hammer anybody who looks like turning on us, then they’ll probably think twice—or even three times!—about doing just that.”

“This isn’t the Verge, and we’re not talking about OFS protectorates,” Abruzzi said flatly. “We’re talking about Core Worlds. We’re talking about star systems that have the internal industry to build significant navies of their own if the urge strikes them. We’re already looking at a confrontation against somebody whose weapons technology we can’t match, and you want to go around irritating our own star systems into deciding they have to build a military capability to protect themselves from us?”

The permanent senior undersecretary of education and information shook his head, his expression incredulous, and MacArtney flushed angrily. He opened his mouth to snap something back, but Kolokoltsov raised one hand in a “stop” gesture.

“Calm down, Nathan. And you, Malachai.” He shook his head. “You and Omosupe and Agatá have raised valid concerns, Nathan. But Malachai has a point, too. If we start resorting to the kind of tactics you’re suggesting, we up the ante for everybody, and right this minute, we can’t afford that.”

“We can’t afford not to,” MacArtney replied stubbornly, and Quartermain nodded. Wodoslawski seemed more torn, however , Kolokoltsov noted. “If we don’t get our heel firmly on this kind of thing now, we never will.”

“But Malachai’s right that we can’t get our heel on it right now,” Kolokoltsov said inflexibly. “We literally can’t. So if we try to grab Hadley and Carmichael, we only run the risk of alienating the other Core Worlds at a time when our weakness is going to be obvious to everyone. Especially when grabbing Hadley and Carmichael is the only thing we can do, because we sure as hell aren’t going to be able to follow through by arresting the rest of the Beowulf system government!” He shook his head.

“No. We can’t make this about whether or not secession is legal. Not now. That’s something we’re going to have to address later, but it’s not anything we want to go anywhere near at a moment when we know other Core Worlds are at least considering it.”

“We don’t have any choice,” McCartney began, “and if you think—”

“Wait, Nathan,” Wodoslawski interrupted, gazing intently at Kolokoltsov. The permanent senior undersecretary of the interior looked affronted, but he also closed his mouth, and Wodoslawski cocked her head to one side.

“What did you mean ‘we can’t make this about whether or not secession is legal,’ Innokentiy?” she asked.

I mean we have to make it about whether or not Beowulf’s actions threaten the security of the League in general and the Core Worlds in particular, instead,” Kolokoltsov replied. “I think we have to take a more or less hands-off position on the entire issue of secession’s legality for the moment. That’s something we should probably hand over to Reid and Neng once they get the inquiry into Beowulf’s collaboration with Manticore underway. I’m sure Reid will be able to come up with a whole stack of legal precedents he can convincingly claim have invalidated a supposed ‘constitutional right’ nobody’s exercised in seven hundred years! Jurisprudence and living constitutional law have moved on, you know.”

He smiled, and Abruzzi actually chuckled out loud. Even MacArtney looked a little more thoughtful.

“At that point,” Kolokoltsov continued, “we argue that secession from the League isn’t legal, but for now we formally reserve judgment on the subject. We make it clear we’re not conceding that Beowulf has the right to leave, but that we’re not prepared to make an ugly situation even worse until there’s been time for the courts to rule on whether or not their actions are legal.”

“We let the erring sister go—for now, at least—more in sorrow than in anger , you mean?” Abruzzi asked, his eyes narrowed in thought. “And when we do, we leave ourselves the option of deciding later that Beowulf was wrong and taking whatever remedial action seems appropriate then?”

“More or less.” Kolokoltsov nodded.
“What I’m trying to do here is to defang the emotional aspects of the issue. I’d love to get this resolved before anybody else starts holding referendums on secession, you understand, but I doubt we’re going to be that lucky. So what I’m looking to do right this minute is to avoid handing any extra ammunition to the people who’d be likely to agitate for secession in the referendums we may not be able to prevent in the first place.”

MacArtney and Quartermain still looked profoundly unhappy, but Wodoslawski actually looked a bit hopeful, Kolokoltsov thought.

“All well and good,” MacArtney growled after a moment, “but it doesn’t do diddley about Beowulf right now.”

No, and it’s not going to make any of those transstellars any happier with you, either . Not right now, at least, Kolakowski thought trenchantly. Unfortunately, all we can do is all we can do!

“I’m not saying we shouldn’t take any action at all against Beowulf, Nathan,” the permanent senior undersecretary for foreign affairs said coolly. “Mind you, I’m not sure what kind of action we’re going to be in a position to take, but I’m in favor of doing anything we realistically can. I just don’t want it to be over the legality or illegality of secession at this point.”

“That’s what you meant about not making it about whether or not secession is legal,” Wodoslawski said.

“Exactly.” Kolokoltsov tipped back in his chair. “I think we need to get Kingsford in here, let him take a look at any military options we may have—workable military options, I mean—where Beowulf is concerned. If there’s one that will work, I’m entirely in favor of using it, but not because they illegally seceded from the League. At this point what we need to do is to make it over the security threat to the League Beowulf represents because of its association with the League’s avowed enemies. As Omosupe said, everybody knows about Beowulf’s effective proximity to Manticore. That means everybody knows Beowulf does, indeed, represent that ‘invasion highway’ Nathan was talking about. We’d be fully justified in taking military action against any star nation that was in a position to enable a Manty invasion of the very heart of the Solarian League. I don’t think they’d be remotely stupid enough to do it, you understand, but we can make an ironclad case for taking action to deprive them of the capability to do it. But making certain that they can’t would be a simple matter of self-defense, and one we’d have no choice but to pursue. We’d be derelict in our responsibilities to the rest of the League if we didn’t!”

“Which lets us hammer Beowulf as hard as we want—assuming we can find a way to do it,
that is—without ever even touching the question of secession!” Abruzzi said enthusiastically.

“Exactly,” Kolokoltsov repeated. “And, Nathan, there’s no way anyone out in the Shell who might be thinking in terms of seceding is going to miss the subtext. There won’t be a single official word about secession in anything we have to say on the subject, but everyone will hear it anyway.”

“And once the immediate furor dies down, Reid and Neng’s committee reports back that Beowulf’s actions were treasonous before it seceded,” Wodoslawski said thoughtfully. “After which Reid produces the precedents to establish that the right of secession’s lapsed with the passage of time,” Abruzzi said, nodding energetically. There was silence for several seconds, then MacArtney shrugged irritably.

“I don’t like it,” he grumbled. “We’re still pussyfooting around the issue, and a lot of people are going to realize it.”

“I agree with you, Nathan,” Quartermain said, “but I think Innokentiy and Malachai have made some valid points, too.” She shrugged. “Given the practical limits on what we can actually do at the moment, I’m afraid I’m going to have to side with them. But”—she glared suddenly at the others—“whatever our justification for going after Beowulf, we need to do it just as hard and just as quickly as humanly possible. Because Nathan’s got a point, too, people. The situation in the Verge is going to go straight to hell on us, no matter what we do, but the last thing we need is to have the Shell going up in flames
right along with it. We need to get a handle on this, and we need to do it fast!”

“You’re kidding me,” Irene Teague said, staring at Daud al-Fanudahi. The two of them sat on benches across a small outdoor table from one another , eating their lunch as the warm summer sun spilled down across them. Lake Michigan’s waters stretched limitlessly towards the horizon below the restaurant perched on a two hundredth-floor balcony of the Admiralty building, and gaily colored sails and powerboats dotted that dark blue expanse as far as the eye could see. Not that either of them was in much of a mood to appreciate the view at the moment.

“I wish I were.” al-Fanudahi sounded entirely too calm for Teague’s mood, and she glared at him.

“Calmly, Irene,” he said, gazing serenely past her towards the lake water so far below. “I don’t think anyone’s listening to us out here, but I’d just as soon not give anyone a reason to think they should be listening to us, if you know what I mean.” Teague looked at him for a moment longer, then nodded and reached for her own fork.

“Granted,” she said. “But I stand by my original reaction. Please tell me you were just making a really bad joke.”

“Wish I were,” he repeated with a sigh. “Unfortunately, the official request for intelligence updates will be coming through this afternoon sometime. As far as I can see, they’re very serious about it.”

“After what happened to Filareta?” She scooped up a forkful of delicious tuna salad and chewed without tasting it at all. “I knew Rajampet wasn’t what anyone would’ve called brilliant, but I thought Kingsford had a working brain!”

“As far as I can tell, he does,” al-Fanudahi replied. “I don’t know that this is his idea, either . But given the kinds of intelligence data they’re going to be requesting, there’s no question what they’re looking at.”

“A military operation against Beowulf?” She shook her head. “That’s got to be the worst idea I’ve heard since Operation Raging Justice itself!”

“I don’t know.” Al-Fanudahi shrugged. “It depends on the mission parameters and the available resources, I guess.”

“Mission parameters?” She rolled her eyes at him. “Just what sort of ‘mission parameters’ are going to make our superdreadnoughts survivable against their superdreadnoughts, Daud?”

“None that I can think of right off hand,” al-Fanudahi conceded. “But the evidence from the merchies who’ve been passing through Beowulf since Raging Justice does seem to suggest that the Manty forces in Beowulf space are concentrated around the terminus, not the planet.”

“So what?” Teague demanded. “Superdreadnoughts are mobile, you know!” “Yes, and the Beowulf System Defense Force is a nasty handful all on its own, which doesn’t even consider the system’s fixed defenses,” al-Fanudahi agreed. “What I suspect our lords and masters are thinking about is that the Manties appear to be trying to avoid stepping on any Solarian sensibilities, especially until the final tally is in on Beowulf’s plebiscite. It may be politics on their part, for all I know.”

“Politics?”

“If they want to encourage other star systems to follow Beowulf’s example—to encourage the fragmentation of the League—they’d want to avoid any suggestion that they’re using force majeure to turn Beowulf into some sort of Manty puppet régime, don’t you think? One way to do that would to be to let Beowulf defend Beowulfan space while they defend the terminus, instead of putting a batch of their wallers into Beowulf orbit. It avoids the appearance of iron fist pressure on Beowulf’s voters at a particularly delicate moment…and just happens to put their superdreadnoughts a couple of light-hours away from Beowulf itself.”

“You mean Kingsford and Bernard are thinking in terms of pouncing on Beowulf— coming straight in across the hyper limit and going flat out for the planet—before any Manty forces at the terminus can intervene?”

“I think that’s about the only thing they could be thinking of,” al-Fanudahi said. “I don’t know if it would work, but assuming Beowulf hasn’t been completely surrounded by new and nasty missile pods, a big enough force of superdreadnoughts, especially with enough of the new Technodyne missile pods, probably could fight its way in through the BSDF and the fixed defenses. And once they controlled the planetary orbitals, they’d be justified under interstellar law in demanding the system’s surrender.”

“And exactly where in this fascinating analysis of yours do the Manty superdreadnoughts come in?” Teague inquired politely. “You know, the ones over at the terminus? The ones who are going to come right back over to Beowulf and kick our sorry asses out of the star system?”

“Oh, those superdreadnoughts?” Al-Fanudahi smiled crookedly at her . “Well, I suppose the idea would be that once the system government surrendered to us, we’d announce special emergency elections—called at the insistence of the Beowulfan public, of course— in light of the existing Board of Directors’ high-handed and probably treasonous actions. And no doubt that new, legitimate system government would denounce the previous system government’s decision to even consider seceding from the Solarian League. Obviously, it would be incumbent upon us to recognize new, legitimate—I did mention that it would be legitimate, didn’t I?—system government’s position. And, equally obviously, Manticore would be on very thin ice when it came to denying the legitimacy of that new system government, given their desire to avoid the puppet master image. So the logic, I imagine, is that since what Manticore really needs is control of the Beowulf Terminus, the Manties would recognize a fait accompli when they saw it and let us have the Beowulf System back.”

“And if the Manties don’t roll over that way?”

“In that case, I would imagine, our fleet commander negotiates a withdrawal from the star system. Probably on the grounds that the orders which sent him there in the first place had misread the true sentiments of the Beowulfers. Now that he’s had the opportunity to observe firsthand that the decision to secede enjoys genuine popular support, of course he’s prepared to acknowledge that and retire from the lists. Of course, if Manticore is so unreasonable as to deny a negotiated, peaceful withdrawal with no further combat, our commander can’t be held responsible for any collateral damage that
might befall the system infrastructure—and population, unfortunately—in the course of an unprovoked Manticoran attack upon his peaceably departing forces.”
Teague scooped up another forkful of salad, chewed slowly, and swallowed, all without taking her incredulous gaze from al-Fanudahi. Then she shook her head.

“That may be less totally insane than Rajampet’s attack on the Manty home system, but that’s not saying a hell of a lot, is it?” she observed caustically.

“No. On the other hand, they’re in a hell of a crack at the moment,” al-Fanudahi pointed out. “I think they figure they’ve got to do something, and I’m afraid they may decide this is the best option they’ve got. And there’s actually at least a chance—a remote one, I’ll grant you, but still a chance—they could pull this one off.” He shrugged and popped an olive into his mouth.

“Personally, I wouldn’t want to make any heavy bets on our ability to get away with it, but the Manties are going to be cautious about inflaming Solarian public opinion any more than they have to, especially if Kingsford can get this up and running before any of the other Core Worlds choose to follow Beowulf’s example. The question would be whether Manticore would decide it would look more like an outside tyrant intervening to protect a collaborationist clique or like a liberator intervening to prevent the reimposition of an illegitimate, unconstitutional tyranny of bureaucrats.” He chewed and swallowed, then inspected his salad plate for another olive before he looked back up at Teague.

“Interesting choice, don’t you think?”
Boldness mine to call attention, not the author's.

Do forgive the formatting errors and again, the length.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse