Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 160 guests

GA response to SL attempts to prevent seccessions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: GA response to SL attempts to prevent seccessions
Post by kenl511   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:01 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

Is there a text copy of the SL Constitution available? We are arguing over a process that requires specifics and arguing using generalities.
Post by kenl511   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

The Solarian League does not declare war.
The Peoples Republic of Haven does not declare war.
Hmm, sounds like some historical examples.
Adolf Hitler declared war on only one opponent.
Post by kzt   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:22 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

kenl511 wrote:Is there a text copy of the SL Constitution available? We are arguing over a process that requires specifics and arguing using generalities.

David cleverly doesn't not provide this sort of thing until and unless the plot requires it. So I doubt there is a full version even in his notes.
Post by Theemile   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
kenl511 wrote:Is there a text copy of the SL Constitution available? We are arguing over a process that requires specifics and arguing using generalities.

David cleverly doesn't not provide this sort of thing until and unless the plot requires it. So I doubt there is a full version even in his notes.

David has done everything possible to feed our appetite WITHOUT painting himself into corners. What he has fed us has caused a couple retcons over the years, as the story plays out. So he writes and releases just what is necessary for the story at that point, so if a later story point requires something different than earlier mentioned, he can easily slip it in.

If he were smart, he would release all his side notes as an omnibus edition after he is finished with the Honorverse.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Our illustrious Duckk made a comment that got me to thinking along certain lines. He said that the SLN were not murderous idiots. Yet, if there is indeed no legal leg for them to stand on in opposition to Beowulf seceding, then on what grounds does the SLN attack Beowulf? If they are not murderous, then does that suggest that they might have found legal reasons that Beowulf are in the wrong? Because if they are legally in the wrong then does that not make Beowulf traitors? (And attacking traitors is not murderous.) Or does it suggest something more sinister like continued MAlign intervention?

Why do you think they would need legal justification? They're not paying attention the law anyway.
Post by kzt   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:43 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:
cthia wrote:Why do you think they would need legal justification? They're not paying attention the law anyway.

People deciding to ignore the law almost always ensure their acts are clothed in some sort of legal justification, though perhaps a somewhat twisted view of the law Like the enabling act, or say broadly reinterpreting a law directed against the mafia to somehow apply to anyone the government decides is today's villain, or say deciding via secret court that collecting the phone conversations of every person in a large country is perfectly OK.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

[quote="kzt]
Why do you think they would need legal justification? They're not paying attention the law anyway
People deciding to ignore the law almost always ensure their acts are clothed in some sort of legal justification, though perhaps a somewhat twisted view of the law Like the enabling act, or say broadly reinterpreting a law directed against the mafia to somehow apply to anyone the government decides is today's villain, or say deciding via secret court that collecting the phone conversations of every person in a large country is perfectly OK.[/quote]

Actually, the UN Charter is the best example of all of this. No one really quotes it and they do damned well what they please. Their committee on the status of women has been headed at times by countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran. Their peacekeepers have been notorious for rape and the spread of disease.

International law is coming down to the democratic votes of the most psychopathic people on the planet.

Why should the Solarian League be different? Frankly, I would bet the original document interplanetary expansion was based on was the United Nations Charter.
Post by cthia   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:

Theemile wrote:David has done everything possible to feed our appetite WITHOUT painting himself into corners. What he has fed us has caused a couple retcons over the years, as the story plays out. So he writes and releases just what is necessary for the story at that point, so if a later story point requires something different than earlier mentioned, he can easily slip it in.

If he were smart, he would release all his side notes as an omnibus edition after he is finished with the Honorverse.

Absolutely Theemile. I suggested that very same thing. Sort of a "behind the scenes," or "the making of," kind of thing that movies do and include as a bonus, replete with deleted scenes, alternate endings etc., etc.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This should go in the Ramifications of absorbing fractured League systems? thread I just created as well, but I think it belongs here even more.

If I were the League, just as soon as a system "defects," I'd put the word out to every large fricking pirate enterprise, mom&pop operation or lone wolves that I can find alerting them that System X no longer enjoys League status or protection. And that pirates have a green light to take to flight. If I were the League, I would encourage the new Robin Hoods. "Steal from the poor and get rich!"

I certainly wouldn't allow them to secede under the radar of pirates.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:This should go in the Ramifications of absorbing fractured League systems? thread I just created as well, but I think it belongs here even more.

If I were the League, just as soon as a system "defects," I'd put the word out to every large fricking pirate enterprise, mom&pop operation or lone wolves that I can find alerting them that System X no longer enjoys League status or protection. And that pirates have a green light to take to flight. If I were the League, I would encourage the new Robin Hoods. "Steal from the poor and get rich!"

I certainly wouldn't allow them to secede under the radar of pirates.

So you have six weeks to six months until somebody pops a Manty merchanter. And six weeks after that for a half squadron of RMN DDs or a pair of CLs (or even CAs) show up, and as Leto Atriedes said after taking office on Arrakis, "Our Sublime Padishah Emperor has ordered me to assume control and settle all disputes".

Return to Honorverse