Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

Circuits destroying themselves etc...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Circuits destroying themselves etc...
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

When a ship gets captured in the books it fries its circuits. The current tech being developed at DARPA is Thin-Air which changes after a set time circuits that change from solids to gases. So if your ship is captured a timer is set off and after a day or so the circuits evaporate. They are also working on planes and drones that will evaporate after delivering their goods. Vapor is Vanishing micro electronics. Icarus is the vanishing air delivery vehicles. This would work good for Missile pods that vanish after being fired.

https://youtu.be/WA_v6x69cfA
Post by Nyssa   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Nyssa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

That would be a strong incentive for a timely arrival at your destination. "I would love to rescue you, but if I did my ship would reach my destination after the expiration date and we would all die."
Re: Circuits destroying themselves etc...
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:15 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Nyssa wrote:That would be a strong incentive for a timely arrival at your destination. "I would love to rescue you, but if I did my ship would reach my destination after the expiration date and we would all die."

images of Wylie Coyote spring to mind for some reason :-)
Post by Eyal   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:10 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

Lord Skimper wrote:When a ship gets captured in the books it fries its circuits. The current tech being developed at DARPA is Thin-Air which changes after a set time circuits that change from solids to gases. So if your ship is captured a timer is set off and after a day or so the circuits evaporate. They are also working on planes and drones that will evaporate after delivering their goods. Vapor is Vanishing micro electronics. Icarus is the vanishing air delivery vehicles. This would work good for Missile pods that vanish after being fired.

Don't they try to retrieve the missile pods after action for reuse?
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

they often try. best text Ev is probably that section in Honnor Among Enammies where Ginger Lewis is supervising reloading pods before going Dutchman.
Post by The E   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:44 am

The E
Admiral

Eyal wrote:Don't they try to retrieve the missile pods after action for reuse?

Not anymore. They tried it on Wayfarer and the rest of the trojans, and then determined that it wasn't practical to do in normal combat operations; It's much easier to build the pods to self-destruct after firing than it is to make them recoverable and reloadable.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:58 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:
Eyal wrote:Don't they try to retrieve the missile pods after action for reuse?

Not anymore. They tried it on Wayfarer and the rest of the trojans, and then determined that it wasn't practical to do in normal combat operations; It's much easier to build the pods to self-destruct after firing than it is to make them recoverable and reloadable.

And Wayfarer was a trial design with a fairly short pod bay, and fairly deep broadside missile magazines. So she could reload her recovered pods from the internal magazines. (And if she didn't she'd risk running short on pods by the end of her deployment)

An SD(P), in contrast, has minuscule internal missile magazines compared to her pod loadout. So even if you recover the pods you'd can't reload more than a handful from your own stockpile - so you'd have to carry empty pods with you until you got somewhere with a major stockpile of 'loose' missiles. Even the new ammo ships have now been built to carry pods so SD(P)s and BC(P)s can quickly take fully loaded pods aboard to replenish (rather than laboriously attempting to reload missiles into recovered pods).
Post by saber964   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:10 pm

saber964
Admiral

Eyal wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:When a ship gets captured in the books it fries its circuits. The current tech being developed at DARPA is Thin-Air which changes after a set time circuits that change from solids to gases. So if your ship is captured a timer is set off and after a day or so the circuits evaporate. They are also working on planes and drones that will evaporate after delivering their goods. Vapor is Vanishing micro electronics. Icarus is the vanishing air delivery vehicles. This would work good for Missile pods that vanish after being fired.

Don't they try to retrieve the missile pods after action for reuse?

Yes they do, IIRC in HoE Ginger Lewis speculated as to why they didn't put homing beacons on the used pods to aid in retrieval.
Post by pnakasone   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

I would think that for the pods it would be recover them if the situation permits you to do so but it is not a big deal if you can not.

Return to Honorverse