Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Beowulfians in the Solarian Navy?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Beowulfians in the Solarian Navy?
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

richardinor wrote:I wonder how many members the Beowulfian Intelligence Service are in the SLN. Could that be the source of the intelligence Beowulf had about the planed SLN attack on Manticore?

:o If it is and the League finds out about it. Treason!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Chew on the fact that if they remain in SLN service and have a ship, they may be called to fire on their own planet. Wait. What?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:02 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:
IIRC, the problem of POWs requesting asylum and/or refusing repatriation after hostilities cease has a historical precedence in the Korean Conflict. A significant percentage of North Korean POWs objected to be repatriated or exchanged for UN POWs.
saber964 wrote:It also happened in the aftermath of WWII several thousand German and Italian POW's didn't want to go back, because they had little or nothing to go back to.

(1)IIRC lots of Soviet Soldiers and civilians requested asylum but Stalin demanded [rather strenuously] that they be returned.

(2) The last I remember was the seizure of the Beowulf embassy, the staff AND Carmichael, charging the Beowulf delegation with 2 counts of treason, one for daring to secede the second for harboring an enemy ambassador. Head mandarin quashed this as a Very Bad precedent.

(3) Remember both Thandi Palane and Damien Harahap. Especially Damien's statement of how using so many people from the protectorates would turn around and bite them on the backside? The scattered Beowulf personnel is the least of their problems. Just the most visible one. with all those SLN ships just hanging in orbit while crew collect their pay, call-up to sail could well be met with too few personnel to actually set sail (Whatever).

I don't recall any embassy seizure. Am missing something here? Where does this come from?

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by tlb   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:47 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:IIRC, the problem of POWs requesting asylum and/or refusing repatriation after hostilities cease has a historical precedence in the Korean Conflict. A significant percentage of North Korean POWs objected to be repatriated or exchanged for UN POWs.

saber964 wrote:It also happened in the aftermath of WWII several thousand German and Italian POW's didn't want to go back, because they had little or nothing to go back to.

pappilon wrote:(1)IIRC lots of Soviet Soldiers and civilians requested asylum but Stalin demanded [rather strenuously] that they be returned.

(2) The last I remember was the seizure of the Beowulf embassy, the staff AND Carmichael, charging the Beowulf delegation with 2 counts of treason, one for daring to secede the second for harboring an enemy ambassador. Head mandarin quashed this as a Very Bad precedent.

(3) Remember both Thandi Palane and Damien Harahap. Especially Damien's statement of how using so many people from the protectorates would turn around and bite them on the backside? The scattered Beowulf personnel is the least of their problems. Just the most visible one. with all those SLN ships just hanging in orbit while crew collect their pay, call-up to sail could well be met with too few personnel to actually set sail (Whatever).

n7axw wrote:I don't recall any embassy seizure. Am missing something here? Where does this come from?

Don

-

Note the highlighted line; it did not happen, but was discussed. We have to wait more than half a year until we can separate conjecture from narrative.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:24 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

tlb wrote:Note the highlighted line; it did not happen, but was discussed. We have to wait more than half a year until we can separate conjecture from narrative.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. You didn't miss anything ... yet. I do think that is a line Kolkoltsov isn't ready to cross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by CanoeSage   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 pm

CanoeSage
Ensign

Rincewind wrote:
saintonge wrote:
Yeah, Pemberton and some other Northern-born officers went South. Most of them were married to Southern women, iirc.

Some Southrons went North, most notable George H. Thomas.

But the U.S. Army of the time was very small, so it was statistically likely at least some units would be overwhelmingly Southern in personnel. Much less likely with the SLN.

Actually in the US Navy only about half the Southern officers resigned or were dismissed. The remaining southern officers served the Union loyally.
The outstanding example of this was David Glasgow Farragut who was born in Tennessee, lived in Virginia & married a Virginian yet remained loyal to the Union & rose to the rank of Admiral.

This doesn't suprise me too much. I've always had the impression that the age-of-sail navies had a rather insular culture compared to land forces. Isolation and/or more diversity in backgrounds left the service itself as the object of loyalty.

Farragut for example went to sea as a midshipman at the age of 9 with his adoptive father (a career naval officer). By the time of the civil war, Farragut had been 'Navy' for 50 years! By that time he'd spent significant time in the Mediterranean, West Indies, and Pacific.

Return to Honorverse