Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Beowulfians in the Solarian Navy?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Beowulfians in the Solarian Navy?
Post by Hans   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:39 am

Hans
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hello,

in the SLN Battlefleet and Frontier Fleet are serving Millions of people.
And there are for sure also men and women from all over the core systems including people from beowulf.
What happened with them now?
Are they released, do they have to stay, even when they are no longer solarians?
Re: Beowulfians in the Solarian Navy?
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:42 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Hell, some will retire before they even hear the news :)

Who knows. Given how the Solly navy has been run they'll probably be brigged as soon as possible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Hans   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:50 am

Hans
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Annachie wrote:Hell, some will retire before they even hear the news :)
Who knows. Given how the Solly navy has been run they'll probably be brigged as soon as possible.

What is the meaning of 'brigged'
i don't know the word and i didn't find a translation into German.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hans wrote:

Origin of brig
contr. from brigantine

U.S. Navy
a place where offenders are temporarily confined, as on a warship

Mil., Slang
the guardhouse; prison

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:41 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:
Hans wrote: quote="Annachie"]Hell, some will retire before they even hear the news :)

Origin of brig
contr. from brigantine

U.S. Navy
a place where offenders are temporarily confined, as on a warship

Mil., Slang
the guardhouse; prison[/quote]

The last one is kinda off. A brig is not slang for a prison or guardhouse it is naval term for an ashore prison. The U.S. Navy maintains four medium security brigs near major naval bases. Also most naval bases have light security brigs for short term detentions.
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wonder how many admirals and senior officers in the SLN (especially in Frontier fleet) are from Beowulf and where they are stationed with their task groups. I wonder, too, to whom they are loyal. Do they, in their majority, honor their oath for service in the SLN? Or are they Beowulfers in the 1st place, and SLN-officers only in the 2nd?

What would've happened, I wonder, if - say, Admiral Dubroskaya, the CO of the SLN-BCs in Saltash, were from Beowulf?
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:25 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:
I wonder how many admirals and senior officers in the SLN (especially in Frontier fleet) are from Beowulf and where they are stationed with their task groups. I wonder, too, to whom they are loyal. Do they, in their majority, honor their oath for service in the SLN? Or are they Beowulfers in the 1st place, and SLN-officers only in the 2nd?

What would've happened, I wonder, if - say, Admiral Dubroskaya, the CO of the SLN-BCs in Saltash, were from Beowulf?

FF officers are very likely like other bureaucrats, empire builders. Their subordinates will be loyal to their superiors first and their organization second. I doubt they see working for the central government as impeding on their loyalty to their star nation. When SHTF, following their superiors so long as they don't move against their home star nation will be the default decision.

Some folks will desert, but abandoning their paid positions when the economy is tanking will be a tough choice to make. That suggests many more FF flag officers finding themselves with opportunities like Baregos crafted in Maya. I begin to wonder how many senior officers will turn warlord? How many will bail on the federal government and take their forces to their home star nation? How many will turn flat out mercenary and hire out to transstellars?

In Lyonheart's preferred words...Interesting times.
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Given the description of the SL and the bureaucracy/SLN, you might find a situation such as what the US encountered in it's Civil War. Pre-war the States had militia and probably some naval forces for local defence. The United States had an Army and a Navy
Not going to go into all the problems and forces leading up to the war but once things got to the point of some of the States declaring secession from the US, a number of both officers and men resigned from the US military and went back to their home State military. Probably the best kown was Robert E. Lee who was asked by the President to command the Union forces but resigned and went back to VA and eventualy commanded the Confederate Forces.

We know Beowulf has a major SDF but it is probable that a fair numeber of it's citizens have enlisted or are officers in the SLN. All sorts of reasons. The challange becomes how many will leave (if they are able too leave/resign) the SL military and what the SL military will do with those who don't leave before someone decides it would be a good idea to prevent their leaving?
It is possible that at least officers who are Beowulf citizens could resign now- prior to the state of war after Fillerta attacks Manticore System- or shortly after that when the word gets back and they realize that what they may have been hearing about "punishing" Beowulf for attempting to leaving the League. The enlisted probably are stuck since they have a choice (rapidly going away) of waiting for end of current enlistment or going AWOL.

Also having had the SL buracracy and a bunch of the SLN Sr. Staff described as they have been, it is probable- as soon as they think of it- that any Beowulf citizen serving in the SLN or other military/police arm will be "detained" if not outright arrested and trotted out as barganing chips for leverage or used in media campains as traitors working to destroy the SL.
Fun times.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Additionally, what will happen if they do leave the SLN? Unlike the US Civil War, you can't just walk home, if that is the only option you are left with. If you resign your command and are allowed to leave, or just desert, the chances are you are stranded on planet Z, 1/2 way across known space, with only the cash in your pockets and your wits, in the middle of a massive trade embargo and blockade. Can you make it home - probably, but how long will that take? Will your desertion make a difference other than you, personally, are not forced to attack your homeworld or it's ships?

Knowing the situation, many (especially officers) may opt to stick it out for awhile until better options are available. Unless every Beowulfer is just thrown behind bars, or relieved from duty at the outset.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Nyssa   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Nyssa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

My impression has been that at least the officers were for the most part born into the Navy. Raised on stations as their parents are transfered. They are much superior to dirt grubbers who grew up on planets. Given the descriptions of favoritism and influence trading it would be very difficult for someone not born into a Navy family to gain senior rank. As I remember there was a statement that it was supprizing that Rozack made captain given the whiff of verge about him. I doubt that many naval personnel feel a strong attachment to any government or planet.

Return to Honorverse