Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Beowulfians in the Solarian Navy?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Beowulfians in the Solarian Navy?
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Hell, some will retire before they even hear the news :)

Who knows. Given how the Solly navy has been run they'll probably be brigged as soon as possible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Retire before they even hear the news? That's just so wrong. LOL

There could also be the fact that the SLN may no longer want Beowulfans to be part of their navy. Would Beowulfans continue to be legal in the SLN? Seems a possible conflict of interest may be at hand. And certainly the need to vet suddenly arises. "Where does your loyalties lie?"

May be easier to simply dismiss the Beowulfans than risk them becoming spies, etc. Eliminate the traitors! Hell, if I were a Beowulfan in the SLN, I'd become AWOL quickly!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Montrose Toast   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 pm

Montrose Toast
Commodore

saber964 wrote:
The last one is kinda off. A brig is not slang for a prison or guardhouse it is naval term for an ashore prison. The U.S. Navy maintains four medium security brigs near major naval bases. Also most naval bases have light security brigs for short term detentions.

There are also Afloat Brigs on Carriers and big deck gators. I almost got assigned Brig duty - went to Brig Afloat school in Yokusuka in 93 [CV62]. Not enough room on small boys for a Brig.
"Who Dares Wins"
Post by Fireflair   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:16 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Standard answer for lock up on small fries, such as submarines for instance, is to either confine the prisoner to the XO's stateroom under guard or place him under guard in the torpedo room where there's a watch stander constantly.

This happened on one of my boats. Sonar reported a 60Hz tonal coming from the engine room area of the hull, quite loud and unexpectedly. Roving watchstanders went looking, expecting to find a piece of gear had shifted and was providing a path from a piece of equipment to the hull to transmit the sound. Nope, it was the Engineroom lower level watch, drilling at the hull by the seawater inlet valves. He was babbling about how he couldn't take it any more and needed to get out.

Dude just snapped. They hauled him out of the outboard, tied him up and called the corpsman. Doc said he'd lost it but there wasn't much he could do. The guy remained under guard in the XO's stateroom, with all dangerous objects removed, the rest of the underway until we pulled into port and could get him off the boat.
Post by ThisName1   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:23 am

ThisName1
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cthia wrote:
Annachie wrote:
There could also be the fact that the SLN may no longer want Beowulfans to be part of their navy. Would Beowulfans continue to be legal in the SLN? Seems a possible conflict of interest may be at hand. And certainly the need to vet suddenly arises. "Where does your loyalties lie?"

May be easier to simply dismiss the Beowulfans than risk them becoming spies, etc. Eliminate the traitors! Hell, if I were a Beowulfan in the SLN, I'd become AWOL quickly!

I think your right. No way would battle fleet want to keep a beowulfan onboard. Even if the person in question wasn't on a ship they'd present too much of a risk.

Frontier Fleet though, I'm not as sure about. You know the shit they get up to, if they were worried about someone they wanted to keep, they'd just go up and say "hey remember that little massacre on omicron persei 8? So do we." And there would be no way back from that. Or they'd just kill them, either one would work for OFS.
Post by richardinor   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 am

richardinor
Commander

I wonder how many members the Beowulfian Intelligence Service are in the SLN. Could that be the source of the intelligence Beowulf had about the planed SLN attack on Manticore?
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Hans wrote: quote="Annachie"]Hell, some will retire before they even hear the news :)
Who knows. Given how the Solly navy has been run they'll probably be brigged as soon as possible.

What is the meaning of 'brigged'
i don't know the word and i didn't find a translation into German.
cthia wrote:Origin of brig
contr. from brigantine

U.S. Navy
a place where offenders are temporarily confined, as on a warship

Mil., Slang
the guardhouse; prison
saber964 wrote:The last one is kinda off. A brig is not slang for a prison or guardhouse it is naval term for an ashore prison. The U.S. Navy maintains four medium security brigs near major naval bases. Also most naval bases have light security brigs for short term detentions.

It isn't my experience that the last one is off at all. If you read it again, you'd note that it denotes the more general military usage. As in other branches other than the navy.

3. A jail or guardhouse, especially on the premises of a US military installation.

I was never in the military though my father was a marine so that made me a military brat. I went on base quite a bit because that was where a lot of the many cool parties were (and girls as hot as lava). I was shortstopped by many a MP who always threatened to throw us teenagers in the brig for loud music or because our pants were pulled down with one of the officer's daughters. ;)

I have five brothers and sisters, many who joined the military. All other branches are represented and "brig" was used for the jail on all military installations that I visited. I always thought they used "brig" to make it clear to us teenagers that we were to spend time in "their" jail and not the city jail off base where our parents could simply come and collect us. It was to make it scarier. It always worked -- until the next party.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:01 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

given beowulf's comtempt for battle fleet and frontier fleet I wonder if a beowulfan who wants a navy career would even consider joining the SLN or would they be happy joining the SDF?

if they want to see the stars (assuming that the SDF doesn't leave system much, (it is called a system defence force after all) but there is that talk of a beowulf cruisers capturing slavers) might they choose instead to join the RMN? or at least get a job on a manty merchie?
Post by robert132   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:25 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Montrose Toast wrote:
saber964 wrote:
The last one is kinda off. A brig is not slang for a prison or guardhouse it is naval term for an ashore prison. The U.S. Navy maintains four medium security brigs near major naval bases. Also most naval bases have light security brigs for short term detentions.

There are also Afloat Brigs on Carriers and big deck gators. I almost got assigned Brig duty - went to Brig Afloat school in Yokusuka in 93 [CV62]. Not enough room on small boys for a Brig.

Usually when it's necessary to hold someone in confinement a "small boy" (frigate, cruiser or destroyer) will transfer that person to an aircraft carrier or another ship or a shore station with an accredited brig. If there is none near enough for a helicopter transfer then that individual is (in my experience) held under guard in a chain locker or other compartment with no easy exit and nothing he or she can damage (a 100 lb anchor chain link is hard to break with your bare hands if you don't wear a big red "S" on your chest) or under very close guard in a wardroom cabin (vacant.)
Last edited by robert132 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by ThisName1   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:28 pm

ThisName1
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:given beowulf's comtempt for battle fleet and frontier fleet I wonder if a beowulfan who wants a navy career would even consider joining the SLN or would they be happy joining the SDF?

if they want to see the stars (assuming that the SDF doesn't leave system much, (it is called a system defence force after all) but there is that talk of a beowulf cruisers capturing slavers) might they choose instead to join the RMN? or at least get a job on a manty merchie?

If beowulfe still cares enough to send competent delegates to represent then in the league then it's safe to assume that at least a few good people joined some of the solarian militaries to "make a difference".

If they didnt play the patronage game they probably didn't make it very high in rank, or they were shuffled off to dead end desk jobs but they'd still be there.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Many of the Beowulfans may have been held up at the embassy along with Carmichael praying just as hard hoping to make it out alive.

Return to Honorverse