Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

Treecat roles in next story arc

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Treecat roles in next story arc
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I believe we are showing the bond with Alfred Harrington and his future wife in Beauty & the Beast. Remember this is a recent story that this comes in as essentialy a deep background story to show how and why Alfred met Allison and the deep link and how it came to happen with Beowulf's intelegence services. It's the first time we hear of this mental bond between them. In the story it lelts Alfred and his future brother-in-law get to Allison to save her. It MIGHT become a point of how Honor (with the Harrington tendency to bond with a treecat) and is perhaps the tipping point for humans to be able to be empathicly read other humans (not just a "bonded" spouse).
Since Honor's ability is a very closely held secret and nobody we know of seems to know about Alfred and Allison, it is unlikely anybody is studying them at this point. If any of this was known, I would bet large money that the Alignment would be working extreemly hard to get at least DNA from all three of them for experimentation. After all, they could- if nothing else- clone them.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I do suspect their legal status will change from wards of the state to citizens. Will that citizenship look like that of US Native Americans, where they can opt to live on their reservation or be part of the SKM? Will the treecat clans be yet another part of the Empire and they send their ow reps to the Imperial parliament? Not sure, but I am hoping for part of the Empire with the Crown Lands transferred to treecat ownership as a sovereign state.

This train of thought has to be applied to Grayson as well. Can you imagine a treecat steadholder? Though I can't imagine a treecat as part of the Keys.

"I pity the fools." LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I do suspect their legal status will change from wards of the state to citizens. Will that citizenship look like that of US Native Americans, where they can opt to live on their reservation or be part of the SKM? Will the treecat clans be yet another part of the Empire and they send their ow reps to the Imperial parliament? Not sure, but I am hoping for part of the Empire with the Crown Lands transferred to treecat ownership as a sovereign state.

This train of thought has to be applied to Grayson as well. Can you imagine a treecat steadholder? Though I can't imagine a treecat as part of the Keys.

"I pity the fools." LOL

If a treecat earns the elevation, then sure. Although I doubt Grayson will have more than a small colony.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:41 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

I think there will be a lot of variation and things might not be worked out for a couple of centuries. People and treecats both now live long lives. They can take their time.

Grayson already has them and they're "popular" in the sense of being accepted. Honor's baseball team is named for them. It would make sense to move to other planets as well because of the threat of destruction.

If there are a few adoptions with Havenites I could see some moving there although they might have to live on a different planet. And some of the planets in the Talbott area might be good since some of them are not heavily populated.

"I pity the fools." LOL[/quote]

If a treecat earns the elevation, then sure. Although I doubt Grayson will have more than a small colony.[/quote]
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:53 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I wonder if Honor will invest in a treecat dome? Build a big one and plant trees from many different systems around the Star Empire. Populate it with different prey animals and small predators to manage the populations. We can have various animals from Talbot and Selesia too. Have treecats manage the preserve and charge admission to Graysons.

If there is one thing Graysons don't have and might enjoy its wilderness that doesn't want to kill you.

Cthia might actually get a treecat steadholder out of the deal.

"Are there other worlds that want to have their wilderness managed without a heavy outsider footprint? Places that have severe climates and/or heavy underbrush? Come to the Harrington Ecological Institute for Treecats. We have the best trained ecology managers in the galaxy. We guarantee the smallest external footprint any management system can provide.
We provide the best ecology managers you'll never see!"

Return to Honorverse