Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Names for new space stations -speculation

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Names for new space stations -speculation
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:55 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Filbert,

Very good suggestions, thanks.

L

filbert wrote:HMSS Yawata Crossing

HMSS Tanners Port

HMSS Black Rock Clan

("never forget")
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by kenl511   » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:02 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

lyonheart wrote:Howdy all,

I think I've mentioned this before but don't recall or know what the forum consensus determined, not that RFC will ever take that into account. ;)

While I'm fairly confident that their predecessors will be memorialized, ie one of each new pair will be named #2 etc, the remaining three have tickled my wonder button.

I suspect or won't be surprised if the other in Manticore orbit is named Haven, to celebrate the peace and new relationship, even if they eventually get into another war [which could happen after this generation of leaders passes on], while Sphinx's second is named Beowulf, and Gryphon's is Grayson, for obvious reasons.

I don't think any will be named after individual persons, especially living ones, and those worthy would oppose commemorating themselves this way when so many unknown heroes were lost in OB.

Now there may be internal avenues or plaza's named after Pritchart, or HA-H, etc but not the whole space station, although probably lots of plaques commemorating the known lost heroes of OB.

Any counter-arguments or other suggestions?

All the very best wishes to all,

L

I thought there to be only four stations, I don't remember reference to stations around Gryphon in ART. Am I Wrong?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:08 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

kenl511 wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Howdy all,

I think I've mentioned this before but don't recall or know what the forum consensus determined, not that RFC will ever take that into account. ;)

While I'm fairly confident that their predecessors will be memorialized, ie one of each new pair will be named #2 etc, the remaining three have tickled my wonder button.

I suspect or won't be surprised if the other in Manticore orbit is named Haven, to celebrate the peace and new relationship, even if they eventually get into another war [which could happen after this generation of leaders passes on], while Sphinx's second is named Beowulf, and Gryphon's is Grayson, for obvious reasons.

I don't think any will be named after individual persons, especially living ones, and those worthy would oppose commemorating themselves this way when so many unknown heroes were lost in OB.

Now there may be internal avenues or plaza's named after Pritchart, or HA-H, etc but not the whole space station, although probably lots of plaques commemorating the known lost heroes of OB.

Any counter-arguments or other suggestions?

All the very best wishes to all,

L

I thought there to be only four stations, I don't remember reference to stations around Gryphon in ART. Am I Wrong?

Yes. The station around Gryphon was the one whose personnel survived due to the evacuation test that was running at the time if OB.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Each station has a purpose. The names should reflect that purpose first and foremost. The Gods of the forge should not be abandoned. Inventors should be honored. I don't think industry itself should be a focus, so no cities or industrialists.

The orbital factories should be named for the essential elements of creativity, the creators themselves.

You take a very poignant and quite interesting stance and my vote can be swayed. LOL

I agree. No cities, or even planets or systems. Nothing that has already been represented in nomenclature in the galaxy because of a point I previously made of a possible scenario where confusion is created by the similar references during broken communications in the middle of a battle.

"Sir, I'm sorry but the communication was garbled. All we got was 'Beowulf.' Is that Beowulf space station or Beowulf city?"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Each station has a purpose. The names should reflect that purpose first and foremost. The Gods of the forge should not be abandoned. Inventors should be honored. I don't think industry itself should be a focus, so no cities or industrialists.

The orbital factories should be named for the essential elements of creativity, the creators themselves.

You take a very poignant and quite interesting stance and my vote can be swayed. LOL

I agree. No cities, or even planets or systems. Nothing that has already been represented in nomenclature in the galaxy because of a point I previously made of a possible scenario where confusion is created by the similar references during broken communications in the middle of a battle.

"Sir, I'm sorry but the communication was garbled. All we got was 'Beowulf.' Is that Beowulf space station or Beowulf city?"

Never used before in the Galaxy is JUST a little extreme. By that measure, your "Unity" is out, it is one of the central modules of the ISS. As such it is an existing place of Historical Significance - and a space station to boot. With 4-10 thousand planets and ~ 5000 years of recorded history, it will be hard to find something not already used, yet still meaningful.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:10 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps there are exceptions to my rule.
Was there a Havenite remarkable for his/her antislavery stance? What was Honor's ancestor's name who argued against Leonard Detweiler? The ancestor that cleaned up the mess on Earth from the Final War? Perhaps one for Isaiah McKenzie, the man that started and finished Grayson's successful defense against the Macabeus treachery. Upon reflection, perhaps one for Climbs Quickly one of two individuals who first recognized what was essential in recognizing people.

Those stations are products of creativity and the essential qualities all people need to posses to still be people. The MAlign attacked their predecessors to destroy the ability to resist their vision of people's inherent place in existence. The enlightened, god-touched few shall decide for the plebeian and benighted many. Well......not while these stations keep creating the wherewithal to sustain peoples' desire to determine the course of their own lives.
Post by Theemile   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Well, if you want to keep the names of the original 3 stations, why not expand it to include the forge Gods of other religions and regions, Like the Sumerian Gibil, Etruscan Sethlans, or Japanese Kagu-tsuchi.

lyonheart wrote:Hi TheEmile,

I did point out that the original names would preserved and commemorated by the first of each pair, but the second Sphinx might memorialize the Yawata strike or the Black Rock Clan, with Gryphon getting the other; while Manticore's might be named for the yet unknown Beowulf city that's destroyed by the SLN's inept attack that's soon to come, although I think Haven will have powerful popular and private support.

L

Theemile wrote:The original 3 stations were named after the Western Gods of the forge. What if the station replacements were named after the men who eventually replaced the Gods in modern mythology - the Titans of Industry. Names like Ford, Remington, Colt, Browning, Edison, Krupp, Watt, Carnigie, Kaiser, etc

Or maybe Cities of Industry: Detroit, Pittsburg, Birmingham, etc.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:47 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Because the stations are the font of individual freedom. Eastern societies enshrined a much more totalitarian view of government than Western societies. Creativity of the sort being discussed was harnessed by Manticore to promote individual freedom, not enslave it.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Theemile wrote:Never used before in the Galaxy is JUST a little extreme. By that measure, your "Unity" is out, it is one of the central modules of the ISS. As such it is an existing place of Historical Significance - and a space station to boot. With 4-10 thousand planets and ~ 5000 years of recorded history, it will be hard to find something not already used, yet still meaningful.

You're right. I should have been more specific. I meant something already in existence in the Honorverse and in the discussed sectors of the galaxy that could become military targets. Names of the dead cannot become military targets. The ISS module cannot become a target in the Haven sector to be confused in garbled communications in a time of conflict.

Albeit admittedly, the reference to the ISS module had slipped my mind.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:37 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Perhaps there are exceptions to my rule.
Was there a Havenite remarkable for his/her antislavery stance? What was Honor's ancestor's name who argued against Leonard Detweiler? The ancestor that cleaned up the mess on Earth from the Final War? Perhaps one for Isaiah McKenzie, the man that started and finished Grayson's successful defense against the Macabeus treachery. Upon reflection, perhaps one for Climbs Quickly one of two individuals who first recognized what was essential in recognizing people.

Those stations are products of creativity and the essential qualities all people need to posses to still be people. The MAlign attacked their predecessors to destroy the ability to resist their vision of people's inherent place in existence. The enlightened, god-touched few shall decide for the plebeian and benighted many. Well......not while these stations keep creating the wherewithal to sustain peoples' desire to determine the course of their own lives.

I like it, lots. Particularly regarding Climbs Quickly. I'm all in for recognizing the contributions of the treecat species and their sentience.

Along those lines, a sort of commemoration to the many lives lost of the Black Rock clan during Oyster Bay.

Black Rock Station. Except for the possible superstitious factor that name may represent -- like clan, like space station.

However, another option could be people who made honorable and heroic sacrifices -- like Courvosier, Helen Zilwicki and even Alfredo Yu and Co., -- for varied reasons

Return to Honorverse