Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Names for new space stations -speculation

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Names for new space stations -speculation
Post by Rajani Isa   » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 am

Rajani Isa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:It would be nice to once again give the salamander her do. Go on. Say it. It sounds good rolling off the conscience of the tongue. Salamander Station.

It isn't like we don't owe the Old Lady that and much more. If only for abandoning her when a certain creep and his shenanigans had his hooks in her and for allowing her to be banished from the navy a broken emotional shell of the finest tactician the RMN has ever seen.

It would be an enjoyable read to once again see Honor's modest bristling in the midst of much deserved recognition and praise.

Salamander Station - rest assured that she was built with all of the latest bells and whistles. She has the sort of teeth that can take a bite out of crime.

This might run afoul of the concept of naming a ship after a living person is bad luck.

Remember, Honor Harrington only exists as a ship because they thought her dead.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Rajani Isa wrote:
cthia wrote:It would be nice to once again give the salamander her do. Go on. Say it. It sounds good rolling off the conscience of the tongue. Salamander Station.

It isn't like we don't owe the Old Lady that and much more. If only for abandoning her when a certain creep and his shenanigans had his hooks in her and for allowing her to be banished from the navy a broken emotional shell of the finest tactician the RMN has ever seen.

It would be an enjoyable read to once again see Honor's modest bristling in the midst of much deserved recognition and praise.

Salamander Station - rest assured that she was built with all of the latest bells and whistles. She has the sort of teeth that can take a bite out of crime.

This might run afoul of the concept of naming a ship after a living person is bad luck.

Remember, Honor Harrington only exists as a ship because they thought her dead.

You have a poignant point there. So easily overlooked by me in my bloodthirsty search for Salamander praise.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:22 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

but it can be argued the station is being named after the creature not the admarial.

of course everyone knows it is being named after Honor really but thin as the fiction may be it might be enough.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:05 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:but it can be argued the station is being named after the creature not the admarial.

of course everyone knows it is being named after Honor really but thin as the fiction may be it might be enough.

The only way that could pass even rudimentary inspection would be to name at least two of the other five stations after similar (semi-mythical) creatures -- Salamander, Draco, and Phoenix, for example.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Phoenix has a a nice ring to it and would certainly be appropriate. 3rd could be called treecat station ;)
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:3rd could be called treecat station ;)

That would be the fourth of six -- although I think Picketwood would be a better choice than the blatant "treecat" station. Picketwood Station would the the second Sphinx orbiting station.

Stations five and six could be trees native to Manticore and Gryphon, or some other aspect of treecat lives -- Celery Station? or Purple Berry (?) (what was the native berry the treecats 'replaced' with celery?

One of the stations should definitely be "Black Rock Station" in remembrance of the lost clan.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by robert132   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:22 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
One of the stations should definitely be "Black Rock Station" in remembrance of the lost clan.

I think the 'cats would appreciate that once the significance of naming a permanent or semi-permanent structure for the lost clan is explained, assuming they don't already understand.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Rincewind   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

fallsfromtrees wrote:

If Honor was annoyed when they named the class of SDS after her, she will go absolutely ballistic at calling one of them Salamander Station.

Remember all the hoops she had to go through in War of Honor to change the name of her Steading's Baseball Team from Harrington Salamanders to Harrington Treecats!
Post by chrisd   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:05 pm

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

Should not at least one be called "Phoenix"?
Post by RoguePhoenix   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:27 pm

RoguePhoenix
Midshipman

[/quote]
chrisd wrote:Should not at least one be called "Phoenix"?

Already mentioned :P

Dauntless wrote:Phoenix has a a nice ring to it and would certainly be appropriate. 3rd could be called treecat station ;)

For some odd reason I feel the need to second these :lol:

Return to Honorverse