Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fireflair and 36 guests

NdEBELE N THANDI

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: NdEBELE N THANDI
Post by saber964   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:05 pm

saber964
Admiral

BrightSoul wrote:I'd have to hunt for it but IIRC Thandie's home planet had a 2.5G rating, slightly lighter than the heaviest colonized world San Martin at 2.75G.

No textev on N'debele gravity being that high but San Martin is 2.7 g. My guess N'debele is more likely around 1.5g
Post by BrightSoul   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:43 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:
BrightSoul wrote:I'd have to hunt for it but IIRC Thandie's home planet had a 2.5G rating, slightly lighter than the heaviest colonized world San Martin at 2.75G.

No textev on N'debele gravity being that high but San Martin is 2.7 g. My guess N'debele is more likely around 1.5g

I'll circle back around to this next time I do a re-read but I got the impression that its gravity was considerably higher than Sphinx, as in a greater difference than that between Grayson and Sphinx.
Post by drothgery   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 pm

drothgery
Admiral

cthia wrote:I wonder how much more Thandi could develop her body if she were to begin weightlifting?

Err... she does weightlift. There's textev.
Post by saber964   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:22 pm

saber964
Admiral

BrightSoul wrote:
saber964 wrote:[quote="BrightSoul" I'd have to hunt for it but IIRC Thandie's home planet had a 2.5G rating, slightly lighter than the heaviest colonized world San Martin at 2.75G.

I'll circle back around to this next time I do a re-read but I got the impression that its gravity was considerably higher than Sphinx, as in a greater difference than that between Grayson and Sphinx.[/quote]

IIRC Sphinx 1.35g Grayson 1.17g so a .1 or .15 higher gravity is not out of the question.
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:10 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:
BrightSoul wrote:I'll circle back around to this next time I do a re-read but I got the impression that its gravity was considerably higher than Sphinx, as in a greater difference than that between Grayson and Sphinx.

IIRC Sphinx 1.35g Grayson 1.17g so a .1 or .15 higher gravity is not out of the question.

Thandi's also pretty lean, San Martin @ 2.75G turns most of its citizens into dwarf weightlifters like Jesus and Tomas Ramirez, walking tanks. So N'debele is going to be considerably lighter than San Martin.

Thandi is also larger, and thicker than Honor, so N'debele has to be considerably heavier than Sphinx' 1.35G.

Splitting the difference between Sphinx and San Martin is 1.4G, half that is 0.7G, works out to loosely 2G, which would sound about right. Twice Earth's gravity would naturally give her rather more strength than her Amazons/former-Scags, plus the genie status adding still more which would easily allow Thandi the brute strength to smash up... Lara wasn't it, prior to Crown of Slaves? Something about breaking her arms, maybe more.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
BrightSoul wrote:I'll circle back around to this next time I do a re-read but I got the impression that its gravity was considerably higher than Sphinx, as in a greater difference than that between Grayson and Sphinx.

Somtaaw wrote:Thandi's also pretty lean, San Martin @ 2.75G turns most of its citizens into dwarf weightlifters like Jesus and Tomas Ramirez, walking tanks. So N'debele is going to be considerably lighter than San Martin.

Thandi is also larger, and thicker than Honor, so N'debele has to be considerably heavier than Sphinx' 1.35G.

Splitting the difference between Sphinx and San Martin is 1.4G, half that is 0.7G, works out to loosely 2G, which would sound about right. Twice Earth's gravity would naturally give her rather more strength than her Amazons/former-Scags, plus the genie status adding still more which would easily allow Thandi the brute strength to smash up... Lara wasn't it, prior to Crown of Slaves? Something about breaking her arms, maybe more.

I can more readily accept your figure of 2.0 G or higher, factoring in the textev of how living on the planet without medical or technological intervention severely ravished the species.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I try to imagine how the oppspring of some pairings would turn out. In the case of Victor and Thandi, I wonder what their child would look like. Talk about how much more important a blood test before marriage might be in the Honorverse. Is their blood even compatible? Not by blood type but species incompatibility/undesirability. shrug

What would Kevin Usher's and Ginny's child turn out to be? Would she have to be given drugs to curtail her hormones so she won't be hanging out with the entire football team before she's even a teenager?

And what might the offspring of a Gryphon/Ndebele union turn out to be?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:I try to imagine how the oppspring of some pairings would turn out. In the case of Victor and Thandi, I wonder what their child would look like. Talk about how much more important a blood test before marriage might be in the Honorverse. Is their blood even compatible? Not by blood type but species incompatibility/undesirability. shrug

What would Kevin Usher's and Ginny's child turn out to be? Would she have to be given drugs to curtail her hormones so she won't be hanging out with the entire football team before she's even a teenager?

And what might the offspring of a Gryphon/Ndebele union turn out to be?

Thandi's still human, she mentions it not long after meeting Viktor in the restaurent or something that Ndebele was (re)found only a few generations before they would have been too in-bred to still count as human.

As for Ginny + Kevin's possible child, remember that sex slaves were essentially raped daily as part of their 'training'. That's why Ginny could practice on Viktor without actually following through and cheating on Kevin. It wasn't a biological/genetic disposition to having sex, but a conditioning... also look at Paulo and Helen. Paulo most definitely hasn't a horndog trying to stick it in at any chance.
Post by saber964   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:19 pm

saber964
Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:
saber964" quote="BrightSoul wrote:I'll circle back around to this next time I do a re-read but I got the impression that its gravity was considerably higher than Sphinx, as in a greater difference than that between Grayson and Sphinx.

Thandi's also pretty lean, San Martin @ 2.75G turns most of its citizens into dwarf weightlifters like Jesus and Tomas Ramirez, walking tanks. So N'debele is going to be considerably lighter than San Martin.

Splitting the difference between Sphinx and San Martin is 1.4G, half that is 0.7G, works out to loosely 2G, which would sound about right. Twice Earth's gravity would naturally give her rather more strength than her Amazons/former-Scags, plus the genie status adding still more which would easily allow Thandi the brute strength to smash up... Lara wasn't it, prior to Crown of Slaves? Something about breaking her arms, maybe more.[/quote]

IIRC Ramirez & Co are built massively not really short per say. Thomas is described as 1.8m tall and weighing 200 kg.
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:34 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:
IIRC Ramirez & Co are built massively not really short per say. Thomas is described as 1.8m tall and weighing 200 kg.

1.8m height is 5 foot 9. That's either average, or slightly above average height for males at this time.

200kg is 440.9 pounds, which is definitely much heavier than average, although muscles being heavier than pure fat would explain why both the Ramirez' can be described as walking tanks.

Honor's tall, I just don't fully remember if Thandi's even taller, or just a match so I discard height from my analysis. Thandi's thinner/leaner than the Ramirez, but she's thicker/bulkier than Honor.

There's also the specific attention-draw that Thandi is incapable of floating/swimming without artificial flotation aids, due to her body being denser and heavier than 'normal humans'. We already know Honor loves to swim but we don't have hard data on whether or not Colonel Tomas Ramirez can. Evidence would suggest he can, Manticoran military branches don't seem to ignore their entry requirements lightly.

Return to Honorverse