Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 35 guests

'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Why are some people calling for Honor to retire? I just don't get it. She is what, ~ 60? Around a quarter of her lifespan? That would be akin to retiring at around 20.

Avg. lifespan of women in the U.S. is around 81.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:58 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

True but like a lot of good officers she never really wanted anything beyond command of her own ship as Mistrss after god. the analogy isn't perfect but think of Jean-Luc Picard, at least twice during TNGs run and several times in the books he has turned down promotion to Admiral, all he wants is to command his ship and explore.

I can easily see her retiring after the fighting is finished and buying a ship, freighter or passenger ship and setting up her own business. simply just running supplies for the navy would allow her to shake of the dust when being planet bound for too long starts to get too much for her. if she wants something more exciting then a survey ship like Harvest Joy may appeal.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:True but like a lot of good officers she never really wanted anything beyond command of her own ship as Mistrss after god. the analogy isn't perfect but think of Jean-Luc Picard, at least twice during TNGs run and several times in the books he has turned down promotion to Admiral, all he wants is to command his ship and explore.

I can easily see her retiring after the fighting is finished and buying a ship, freighter or passenger ship and setting up her own business. simply just running supplies for the navy would allow her to shake of the dust when being planet bound for too long starts to get too much for her. if she wants something more exciting then a survey ship like Harvest Joy may appeal.

True too.

Would she be overqualified for that career? (LOL). Honestly, that could be very interesting. Applying it to football, she'd be more of a free safety. Such a valuable commodity if it's a good one.

It even better applies to Kirk. To the point that the "powers that be" saw fit to bust hum back down to a mere Captain as both a punishment and a reward for stealing a ship in The Voyage Home.

Still... retirement at twenty?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:True but like a lot of good officers she never really wanted anything beyond command of her own ship as Mistrss after god. the analogy isn't perfect but think of Jean-Luc Picard, at least twice during TNGs run and several times in the books he has turned down promotion to Admiral, all he wants is to command his ship and explore.

True too.

Would she be overqualified for that career? (LOL). Honestly, that could be very interesting. Comparing it to football, she'd be more of a free safety. Such a valuable commodity if it's a good one.

It even better applies to Kirk. To the point that the "powers that be" saw fit to bust him back down to a mere Captain as both a punishment and a reward for stealing a ship, but saving the planet, in The Voyage Home.

Still... retirement at twenty?

Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:33 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I don't think Honor will ba able to pursue a completely private life after this novel is complete. Assuming Darius' location remains unknown to the GA, Honor would be needed leading the offensive arm of the GA to deal with the MAlign. Assuming Darius has been dealt with suitably, Honor would be the best person to be Ambassador to Haven. These roles would be slightly more important than personally managing her Steading or Duchy.

One thing that the new federal system for the Empire allows is a more fluid interpretation of Ambassador. Given the disastrous consequences of the High Ridge government, I can see QE franting some sort of executive role for Haven's Ambassador that places that post directly under the Queen. So, this would ba a post like Governor Medusa which is appointed by the Queen and confirmed by Parliament rather than appointed by by Parliament. The idea is that the Head of State can act in that capacity to manage international affairs. Yes, the Department of state has a role, but the Queen may choose to assert her influence into relationships she deems important enough to transcend the changes in governments.

I tend to believe Honor would fill a role like that for the SEM.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:29 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

We keep trying to set people up. There's one more book in the arc. We're going to be moving through events really fast since this will probably pretty much end the Honor part. Chances are, it will end with a sort of uneasy peace which lead to the next arc which will probably focus on HH's kids.

We're more likely to know about life pairings (or triplings) in the first book in the next arc as assorted characters from this one are older and the younger ones in command.

Chances are that some of the characters are married. We just don't know it. Khumalo is likely to at least have been married and the same for Matsuko.

Yes, it would be fun for Abigail to be in love But I would guess we will be dealing with a real lot of plot if the arc is to end. We had more family dealings in the last book because not much really happened. The next book probably will make up for it.

I hope.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:56 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:We keep trying to set people up. There's one more book in the arc. We're going to be moving through events really fast since this will probably pretty much end the Honor part. Chances are, it will end with a sort of uneasy peace which lead to the next arc which will probably focus on HH's kids.

We're more likely to know about life pairings (or triplings) in the first book in the next arc as assorted characters from this one are older and the younger ones in command.

Chances are that some of the characters are married. We just don't know it. Khumalo is likely to at least have been married and the same for Matsuko.

Yes, it would be fun for Abigail to be in love But I would guess we will be dealing with a real lot of plot if the arc is to end. We had more family dealings in the last book because not much really happened. The next book probably will make up for it.

I hope.

I speculate about this topic to encourage RFC to "subcontract" the interim period to other authors. This would set up the next story arc but not necessarily be worthy of RFC's full attention. Giving up Honorverse stories for the sake of other Weberserves novels is acceptable but hardly a preferred circumstance. Getting both is what I long for.
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:08 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--Rolls eyes and SMH--

So folks are wondering about the romantic notions in this thread... Hello... roseandheather, anyone? our own crown princess of romantic notions...

Anyhoo. Luis Rozak and... ? assuming he lives through the next few adventures... Admiral Truman?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:--Rolls eyes and SMH--

So folks are wondering about the romantic notions in this thread... Hello... roseandheather, anyone? our own crown princess of romantic notions...

Anyhoo. Luis Rozak and... ? assuming he lives through the next few adventures... Admiral Truman?

Louis is going to find a nice Mayan girl in counter intel and settle down. He's too far out in the boonies to score a main character.

As I recall the Trumans, like the Websters, are an RMN dynasty. She also has a habit of gathering a menagerie of attractive officers about her. I doubt this is anything overt on her part, but she may simply connect more easily to attractive people. Given her tutelage under Honor, those attractive people are also very good at their jobs or they wouldn't last long with her. My gut tells me she ends up with someone with a genetic slavery background. I don't know of any character with enough seniority and the background to make that match a possibility.

Roseandheather, if you can think of someone that fits the description, let me know.
Post by jdtinIA   » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:42 pm

jdtinIA
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I believe RFC has commented in the past that Sarnow is happily married to a man, that they have a family and that Sarnow enjoys knitting (I might be wrong about that last one though). But for Sarnow to appear, Silesia has to somehow become relevant to the war against the Mesan Alignment or the Solarian League. It only showed up in HAE due to Honor's political "exile" to Grayson after her duel with North Hollow and as part of her political "rehabilitation" in the Star Kingdom. It became relevant again in WoH, when she gets sent to Sidemore as a counter to the greater Andermani presence in the region and the High Ridge Government's need to deal with it. For Silesia to become relevant to the story, you would need to see perhaps a Solarian attempt to repeat Haven's commerce raiding strategy in the Manties' rear. That is extremely unlikely to happen though, as they have more than problems closer to home in the Verge and since they are still smarting from the last two times they deployed large fleets out in the boonies. And unlike Haven in HAE, they would no longer have a chain of trade missions and embassies in Silesia, as the Confederacy is now properly Manticoran territory.

But if Abigail is to find love while serving in the Royal Manticoran Navy, it would likely be with someone outside her direct chain of command and someone who is not of her faith. That is likely to be a serious stumbling block for their relationship, especially if the fellow is either a firm atheist or else devout in some other religion and therefore disinclined to convert. Moreover, the question of whether it is proper for her to ask him to convert for her is likely to be an interesting plot point for her to explore. I would also like to see Rachel Mayhew in some capacity in this story, preferably her graduation ceremony on Saganami Island, with her father and mothers in attendance. Perhaps this could be the conclusion of a short story of her midshipwoman's cruise (but that might feel like a repeat of Abigail's story).

I would like to see a conclusion to Honor Harrington, mostly because she is less interesting as a character since she really has no where else to go. She is an extremely capable, successful and powerful woman who has overcome a great many personal and political obstacles to get to where she is. But where else can she grow?[/quote]
Excellent cut of meat thanatos. I stamp it...

97 % U S D A PRIME BEEF

Except for the 3% fat that we need to trim...

I would like to see a conclusion to Honor Harrington, mostly because she is less interesting as a character since she really has no where else to go. She is an extremely capable, successful and powerful woman who has overcome a great many personal and political obstacles to get to where she is. But where else can she grow?

I can conceive of many glorious tales of a more laid back :lol: Honor, being a wife and a politician and an instructor at the Academy—teaching her students and still kicking ass in war games. More importantly, available to lend a hand and save the day, a time or three, a few books upstream as the more ominous, much darker cloud of the MAN suddenly emerges from within the dark shadows—and descends.

She can go on to accomplish what her dear ol' instructor and friend Admiral Courvosier couldn't—come out of retirement as an emergency aid to a threatened Star Kingdom and "put paid to it." ;)

The prospect of an aging Honor, even more beautiful having aged well in a fine wine sort of way—perhaps with just a touch of gray and still kicking ass and taking names—sounds simply m a r v e l o u s.

An Honor Harrington shaping the RMN via the Jeune ecole into a truly unique fighting machine.

An Honor Harrington that has a little more time to flex her political muscle. To assume her rightful seat in the Lords and her place on Grayson. To see her grow into a political powerhouse with powerful collaborations, accompanied by the inspiration and moral support provided by her two spouses, especially Emily. Powerful political collaborations characterized by those formed with people like Cathy Montaigne.

Honor has forged some powerful friendships in the Star Empire and galaxy wide and if she begins throwing her weight around she could become a political dynamo.

And, um, how could you fail to conceive... :roll: :o

of the Salamander riding again in a book... as the cavalry, hypering into a system near you, to save one of her kids...

'Uh oh you SOB, that's Mommy Dearest and trust me, she's packing!'

Daydreaming of such a time simply bOgGleS tHe mInD

Oh, I can think of many places for Honor to go, places to see, and navies to do.[/quote]

Better yet. Honor gets in deep and her kid does a Hollywood Cavalry for her.

Return to Honorverse