Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests

'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:50 am

Dauntless
Captain of the List

Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:54 pm

saber964 wrote:
Dauntless wrote:i'd also like Samuel Webster to reappear. i don't think he has been mentioned let alone sighted since a throw away line in AOV where Honor muses over how many of "her" people are involved with Buttercup. though i suppose he might have gone to Marsh in War of Honor given again how many old salamander hands Honor recruited for that task force.

either way there has been no mention for quite some time and the loss of one of the only survivors of both Fearless' is not something i expect to pass by without at least a page on how he died.

Actually he's mentioned in WOH as one of Honor's squadron commanders IIRC BatRon 16.



So he was at marsh? i'd missed that, been a long time since I reread War of Honor.

point still stands though that he has not been seen since then and it is about time we did see him again.
Top
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:37 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5074
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

It probably won't be in Uncompromising Honor but I'd still like a short store or something showing how Sarnow is doing in post-annexation Silesia. And maybe we'd even see his family.
Top
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by Henry Brown   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Posts: 830
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Greenville NC

cthia wrote:Victor and Thandi getting married would be a hoot, just seeing which one would wear white. LOL


No, Victor knocking up Thandi would be a hoot! Do you think morning sickness visits genetically enhanced superwomen?
Top
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 7432
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Henry Brown wrote:
cthia wrote:Victor and Thandi getting married would be a hoot, just seeing which one would wear white. LOL


No, Victor knocking up Thandi would be a hoot! Do you think morning sickness visits genetically enhanced superwomen?


LOL

Have you ever laughed before a funny? Because, well, it's just funny?...

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh come on, don't be afraid of Thandi's rank. What would really be a hooty hoot is if Thandi knocked Victor up, and he's always in a skirt baking cookies every time Eloise visits.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by thanatos   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:15 pm

thanatos
Commander

Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:29 pm
Location: United States

Jonathan_S wrote:It probably won't be in Uncompromising Honor but I'd still like a short store or something showing how Sarnow is doing in post-annexation Silesia. And maybe we'd even see his family.


I believe RFC has commented in the past that Sarnow is happily married to a man, that they have a family and that Sarnow enjoys knitting (I might be wrong about that last one though). But for Sarnow to appear, Silesia has to somehow become relevant to the war against the Mesan Alignment or the Solarian League. It only showed up in HAE due to Honor's political "exile" to Grayson after her duel with North Hollow and as part of her political "rehabilitation" in the Star Kingdom. It became relevant again in WoH, when she gets sent to Sidemore as a counter to the greater Andermani presence in the region and the High Ridge Government's need to deal with it. For Silesia to become relevant to the story, you would need to see perhaps a Solarian attempt to repeat Haven's commerce raiding strategy in the Manties' rear. That is extremely unlikely to happen though, as they have more than problems closer to home in the Verge and since they are still smarting from the last two times they deployed large fleets out in the boonies. And unlike Haven in HAE, they would no longer have a chain of trade missions and embassies in Silesia, as the Confederacy is now properly Manticoran territory.

But if Abigail is to find love while serving in the Royal Manticoran Navy, it would likely be with someone outside her direct chain of command and someone who is not of her faith. That is likely to be a serious stumbling block for their relationship, especially if the fellow is either a firm atheist or else devout in some other religion and therefore disinclined to convert. Moreover, the question of whether it is proper for her to ask him to convert for her is likely to be an interesting plot point for her to explore. I would also like to see Rachel Mayhew in some capacity in this story, preferably her graduation ceremony on Saganami Island, with her father and mothers in attendance. Perhaps this could be the conclusion of a short story of her midshipwoman's cruise (but that might feel like a repeat of Abigail's story).

I would like to see a conclusion to Honor Harrington, mostly because she is less interesting as a character since she really has no where else to go. She is an extremely capable, successful and powerful woman who has overcome a great many personal and political obstacles to get to where she is. But where else can she grow?
Top
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 7432
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

thanatos wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:It probably won't be in Uncompromising Honor but I'd still like a short store or something showing how Sarnow is doing in post-annexation Silesia. And maybe we'd even see his family.


I believe RFC has commented in the past that Sarnow is happily married to a man, that they have a family and that Sarnow enjoys knitting (I might be wrong about that last one though). But for Sarnow to appear, Silesia has to somehow become relevant to the war against the Mesan Alignment or the Solarian League. It only showed up in HAE due to Honor's political "exile" to Grayson after her duel with North Hollow and as part of her political "rehabilitation" in the Star Kingdom. It became relevant again in WoH, when she gets sent to Sidemore as a counter to the greater Andermani presence in the region and the High Ridge Government's need to deal with it. For Silesia to become relevant to the story, you would need to see perhaps a Solarian attempt to repeat Haven's commerce raiding strategy in the Manties' rear. That is extremely unlikely to happen though, as they have more than problems closer to home in the Verge and since they are still smarting from the last two times they deployed large fleets out in the boonies. And unlike Haven in HAE, they would no longer have a chain of trade missions and embassies in Silesia, as the Confederacy is now properly Manticoran territory.

But if Abigail is to find love while serving in the Royal Manticoran Navy, it would likely be with someone outside her direct chain of command and someone who is not of her faith. That is likely to be a serious stumbling block for their relationship, especially if the fellow is either a firm atheist or else devout in some other religion and therefore disinclined to convert. Moreover, the question of whether it is proper for her to ask him to convert for her is likely to be an interesting plot point for her to explore. I would also like to see Rachel Mayhew in some capacity in this story, preferably her graduation ceremony on Saganami Island, with her father and mothers in attendance. Perhaps this could be the conclusion of a short story of her midshipwoman's cruise (but that might feel like a repeat of Abigail's story).

I would like to see a conclusion to Honor Harrington, mostly because she is less interesting as a character since she really has no where else to go. She is an extremely capable, successful and powerful woman who has overcome a great many personal and political obstacles to get to where she is. But where else can she grow?

Excellent cut of meat thanatos. I stamp it...

97 % U S D A PRIME BEEF

Except for the 3% fat that we need to trim...

I would like to see a conclusion to Honor Harrington, mostly because she is less interesting as a character since she really has no where else to go. She is an extremely capable, successful and powerful woman who has overcome a great many personal and political obstacles to get to where she is. But where else can she grow?




Image

I can conceive of many glorious tales of a more laid back :lol: Honor, being a wife and a politician and an instructor at the Academy—teaching her students and still kicking ass in war games. More importantly, available to lend a hand and save the day, a time or three, a few books upstream as the more ominous, much darker cloud of the MAN suddenly emerges from within the dark shadows—and descends.

She can go on to accomplish what her dear ol' instructor and friend Admiral Courvosier couldn't—come out of retirement as an emergency aid to a threatened Star Kingdom and "put paid to it." ;)

The prospect of an aging Honor, even more beautiful having aged well in a fine wine sort of way—perhaps with just a touch of gray and still kicking ass and taking names—sounds simply m a r v e l o u s.

An Honor Harrington shaping the RMN via the Jeune ecole into a truly unique fighting machine.

An Honor Harrington that has a little more time to flex her political muscle. To assume her rightful seat in the Lords and her place on Grayson. To see her grow into a political powerhouse with powerful collaborations, accompanied by the inspiration and moral support provided by her two spouses, especially Emily. Powerful political collaborations characterized by those formed with people like Cathy Montaigne.

Honor has forged some powerful friendships in the Star Empire and galaxy wide and if she begins throwing her weight around she could become a political dynamo.

And, um, how could you fail to conceive... :roll: :o

of the Salamander riding again in a book... as the cavalry, hypering into a system near you, to save one of her kids...


'Uh oh you SOB, that's Mommy Dearest and trust me, she's packing!'


Daydreaming of such a time simply bOgGleS tHe mInD


Oh, I can think of many places for Honor to go, places to see, and navies to do.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by thanatos   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:34 pm

thanatos
Commander

Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:29 pm
Location: United States

cthia wrote:Excellent cut of meat thanatos. I stamp it...

97 % U S D A PRIME BEEF

Except for the 3% fat that we need to trim...

I would like to see a conclusion to Honor Harrington, mostly because she is less interesting as a character since she really has no where else to go. She is an extremely capable, successful and powerful woman who has overcome a great many personal and political obstacles to get to where she is. But where else can she grow?




Image

I can conceive of many glorious tales of a more laid back :lol: Honor, being a wife and a politician and an instructor at the Academy—teaching her students and still kicking ass in war games. More importantly, available to lend a hand and save the day, a time or three, a few books upstream as the more ominous, much darker cloud of the MAN suddenly emerges from within the dark shadows—and descends.

She can go on to accomplish what her dear ol' instructor and friend Admiral Courvosier couldn't—come out of retirement as an emergency aid to a threatened Star Kingdom and "put paid to it." ;)

The prospect of an aging Honor, even more beautiful having aged well in a fine wine sort of way—perhaps with just a touch of gray and still kicking ass and taking names—sounds simply m a r v e l o u s.

An Honor Harrington shaping the RMN via the Jeune ecole into a truly unique fighting machine.

An Honor Harrington that has a little more time to flex her political muscle. To assume her rightful seat in the Lords and her place on Grayson. To see her grow into a political powerhouse with powerful collaborations, accompanied by the inspiration and moral support provided by her two spouses, especially Emily. Powerful political collaborations characterized by those formed with people like Cathy Montaigne.

Honor has forged some powerful friendships in the Star Empire and galaxy wide and if she begins throwing her weight around she could become a political dynamo.

And, um, how could you fail to conceive... :roll: :o

of the Salamander riding again in a book... as the cavalry, hypering into a system near you, to save one of her kids...


'Uh oh you SOB, that's Mommy Dearest and trust me, she's packing!'


Daydreaming of such a time simply bOgGleS tHe mInD


Oh, I can think of many places for Honor to go, places to see, and navies to do.


Not sure I agree with that one. As I understand RFC, he intended for Honor to die gloriously at the First Battle of Manticore and for the next stage in the series to focus upon her son Raoul and his half-sister Katherine. Just try to imagine what it would mean to grow up with that sort of legacy to live up to while wanting to be your own man. Worse, if she was alive and coming to her son's rescue every single time he or his sister got into a heap of trouble as she did, how could he come into his own? It brings the concept of helicopter parenting to a whole new level (and I doubt Honor would be that inattentive to his emotions).

Moreover, the series as a whole suffers as a result of Honor's position. Throughout the series, Honor has faced increasingly difficult military and political challenges. In OBS she was an outgunned light cruiser going up against a larger Q-ship trying to escape. In HotQ she went up against a battle cruiser with a damaged heavy cruiser and destroyer. In SVW she was flag captain of a BatCruRon going up against a dreadnought Squadron. And so on and so forth until you get to the First Battle of Manticore in which she commands the most advanced fleet in the known worlds against hundreds of the best superdreadnoughts Haven could throw at her. But in the Second Battle of Manticore she still commands the most advanced fleet in the known worlds - against an opponent so outmatched RFC didn't bother to describe the battle itself. So where's the military, political or diplomatic challenge after this? If she wins a large scale, decisive battle against Mesa and survives, where does she go from there that is in a general upward direction?
Top
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 7432
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

AT ODDS

Here's something to chew on. I'd like to see RFC tackle another story of forbidden love, as I so thoroughly enjoyed the one he presented us with in Eloise and Javier. (ode to rose)

What do you all think of Protector Benjamin taking on an additional wife, after helplessly falling in love with a woman that doesn't exactly gel with the other wives - yet, love is love. Catfight!

Is there anything preventing Protector Benjamin from taking on Abby as a wife?

Is there anything preventing Steadholder Hearns from marrying Rachel Mayhew and the possible ensuing tension between Abigail and Rachel?

Is there anything preventing Benjamin from taking on a bonded wife from the Star Empire, causing animosity between the Grayson wives and the foreign wife who is bonded—which places her cat and the Mayhews' cats in a very peculiar predicament—at odds.

<What do we do? We've never been confused regarding allegiance>

<This is some of that two-leg weirdness called a domestic dispute. We should stay out of it>

What a pickle.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by markm57   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:38 am

markm57
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Henry Brown wrote:Well since we are marrying everybody off, I'd like to see Jeremy X find somebody. Lets face it, that would be an *INTERESTING* courtship. :lol:


I'd love a Ruth and Jeremy relationship if just to hear the screams from Mount Royal Palace .
Top
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by saber964   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:34 pm

saber964
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:41 pm
Location: Spokane WA USA

markm57 wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:Well since we are marrying everybody off, I'd like to see Jeremy X find somebody. Lets face it, that would be an *INTERESTING* courtship. :lol:


I'd love a Ruth and Jeremy relationship if just to hear the screams from Mount Royal Palace .



Prince Michael and Duchess Judith would probably care less as long as Ruth was happy, but Empress Elizabeth would go of like a fireworks display.
Top

Return to Honorverse