Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 103 guests

Oh, what the heck . . .

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Oh, what the heck . . .
Post by Castenea   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:17 am

Castenea
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:Now that doesn't mean anybody in authority cares, you have the many distinguished observers of the Russo-Japanese war who decided that this didn't mean anything to their army (they were wrong), but people will know quite a lot about the conduct of the war, the ships and the weapons and they will form groups and mailing lists to talk about it.

I will add an additional layer of obfusctation to the inability of SL leadership to know what kind of meat grinder they are poking their noses into. In addition to the Hobbyists who actually know something being dismissed as slightly (if harmlessly) cracked, most of the media in the SL is not covering the conflict. Of those who do cover the conflict in any depth, their talking heads/press analysts probably number under a dozen, of whom maybe 2 actually know what they are talking about. Most of these talking heads are probably spouting the ONI line, with the remainder while honest and competent, are using data on ship and weapon performance that is hopelessly out of date.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:13 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

[the conflict in any depth, their talking heads/press analysts probably number under a dozen, of whom maybe 2 actually know what they are talking about. Most of these talking heads are probably spouting the ONI line, with the remainder while honest and competent, are using data on ship and weapon performance that is hopelessly out of date.[/quote]

This is particularly true for those outside the conflict. Japan learned a lot. Russia tried not to but wound up with a major rebellion. Of course, that allowed the Old Guard to screw things up royally with ill-considered "reforms" that somehow always helped the Old Guard.

The Sollies have ignored a lot of things because it didn't affect them. The OFS made money for the transstellars and no one paid attention because what was going on in the Haven Quadrant just made no real difference.

That's why it was easy to get the Sollie Navy to pay no attention to what was going on there in terms of weapons improvement. And even there I would bet some information came in but Mesalliance kept it from being acted upon.

I would guess that somewhere in Uncompromising Honor the intelligence operatives looking at what happened will discover evidence of being manipulated and will get it to the mandarins. What happens afterwards is unknown.
Post by lyonheart   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:22 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hello RFC!

Again, any post from RFC is good, regardless of how much I or another poster get reamed, scolded or worse.

I believe the discussion at the bar was around ten years ago, but doubt there's a way to check now.

Definitely one way to put it into an important perspective, but given the apparent free discussion in War of Honor that made the nature of SDP's and CLAC's obvious to the manty public as well as the Havenite, which included Tom Theisman going public with the announcement of Bolthole and the RHN's first SDP's, etc should have gotten some attention from other navies.

Given that the three Haven sector powers had collectively built almost a thousand SD's in the roughly fifty years before the war, or about half the actual BF active force [with ~300 in the yards for repairs, refits or upgrades] should have gotten some attention from the SLN when it came to fighting for their annual budget.

There was a time early on when we first met Rajani that I wondered if Rajani wasn't just a Malign agent but one of the deep star lines', given his age and how he was so critical to suppressing or covering things up, but a very critical actor too important to leave to simple bribery.

While he was reinforcing the institutional arrogance of the SLN,under the claim of improving morale etc would certainly explain the 3.6 billion he'd squirreled away over the last 40-50 years or so, he now seems to willingly have lead the SLN leviathan into a narrow cave or tunnel it couldn't turn around when it began to realise it was trapped and unable to defend itself.

To be so willing to destroy one's apparent life's work, to let so many he was ultimately responsible for get killed [~2 million combined] makes him one of the legendary worst traitors of all time.

One wonders again if his secret files will be found by the various investigators we now know are trying to find out what's really going on.

Regarding Japan, it's prewar merchant marine was in the 6-7 million ton range, relying on around 4 million tons of outside [allied] shipping, which it managed to capture around 600,000 tons when the war began in its ports, China, Indochina and Hong Kong etc, which was quite a boon since it was more than their own construction in the past two years [1940 & 1941] and wasn't exceeded by their own production until 1943, when it was too late.

What I think RFC was referring to was the relative amount of traffic in and out of Japanese ports, which was still considerable, if not as high as major European and American ports.

So if Japan was then around 2% of the world's population, can we scale those numbers to get some basis for 'normal' verge traffic?

Definitely interesting times,

L

runsforcelery wrote:quote="lyonheart"Howdy LDWechsler,

Kudos for being spot on with how the official explanation overwhelming any inconvenient facts.

I don't know how many remember the discussion at the bar many moons ago regarding how the military tech fans, modelers, NTM wargamers would have been all over the Manticore-Haven wars, collecting and passing all sorts of details that eventually would start adding up to important conclusions and comparisons with the SLN etc.

RFC had to respond that no, there were not such organised or coordinated groups that would cooperate to find what they could and share it.

He was the author, so it was "Yes sir, three bags full" time.

But I still mumble about it when I can. ;)

L

My father often mentioned how model companies would hire senior retired Intel sergeants from the various services, who knew or had copies of the public information that was the basis of most of their briefings etc, as a considerable addition to their retirement pay, for however long they could spin out sharing all they knew.

ldwechsler wrote:It's like how there wasn't a single person in the entire SL who read the publicly available documentation, news reports and memoirs to track the developments and battles in the Haven Sector. I'm pretty sure I could find more then one hobbyist in the US who could discuss at great length the history and details of the multi-sided conflict in Somalia, but nobody of the several trillion in the SL was interested in the RMN?

I am sure there were those hobbyists, the only problem is that they were basically unknown in the halls of power. I suspect that most people in the US with an indepth interest in the minutiae of the dealing of Somali warlords are if not in an intelligence agency, viewed as having an odd but basically harmless hobby. How hard is it for the decision makers to find these people if their area of interest becomes strategically important? i.e. potential intervention in a Chad-Democratic Republic of Congo Border dispute.

Let us keep in mind that the leadership was not interested in hobbyists. They had their story and were going to keep to it.

Also, the top people were being blocked from a lot of reality by MAlign. We saw how those who suggested that Manticore was really advanced were punished.

When a government wants one point of view, it can make certain no other views, even if those other ones are correct, are not really heard.
[/quote]

I do not recall the exchange at all.

You need to bear in mind, thought, that we are not talking about someplace with an internet you can just plug into any time you want. You also need to remember that the modelers and hobbyists in question were up against the best military security in the galaxy. And you also need to remember that I never said there was no flow of information about what was happening in the Haven sector to the rest of the galaxy; I said the Solarian League ignored it because it manifestly did no matter and, besides, the neobarbs were probably lying.

I don't quite understand why people find this so difficult to grasp.

In 1938, Japan was a heck of a lot closer, and a lot more accessible, from the United States of American and Great Britain (and Australia) than the Haven Sector is from 99.9% of the human race in the Honorverse. Yes, the shipping lines are there, and, yes, there's a lot of commerce (most of it carried in Manticoran bottoms), but there the shipping traffic to and around the Japanese Home Islands in 1938 was denser (in relative terms) than most Solarian star systems experience in Honor's day.

Despite that, the USN had no idea of the caliber of the guns the Japanese were planning to use for their new battleships, didn't know that the Nagatos were a good four knots faster than they thought they were, didn't know the demilitarized Kongos had been put back into commission, and didn't have a clue about the Long Lance torpedo or the range and maneuverability of the Zero or the Betty bomber (despite the fact that the Zero was actually being used against our Chinese allies and the American Volunteer Group was already flying brutally outclassed P-40s against them. All of this despite the fact that Japan had been identified as our most probable foe in any Pacific War.

So you're suggesting to me that somehow the SLN --- which knows it has 10,000 SDs in commission while the Manties and Peeps between them have less than 1,000 --- and which has the institutional arrogance of 700 years of unchallenged naval supremacy would be worried not about what their equivalent of Japan might be doing fighting their equivalent of China but what Nepal might be up to in its war against Bangladesh?

No, the situations are not, in fact, parallel, but the SLN thinks they are and I find it difficult to believe that there's going to be some highly visible hobbyist organization putting together accurate models of Havenite or Manticoran ships which will somehow magically give the SLN the wake up call it needs.

The USN and RN docked at the same wharves as Japanese cruisers which exceeded treaty mandated tonnage limitations by 20% and carried Long Lances and their various intelligence organizations either never guessed it or else knew all along and simply failed to pass it along to their superiors, for goodness sake! And unlike the SLN, neither the USN nor the RN thought for a minute that its warfighting technology was supreme in all the world based on seven centuries of absolute naval domination not of a single ocean or even a single plant but an entire damned galaxy.

So, yeah, I don't find it at all unreasonable for a willfully blind institution like the SLN (and its affiliated intelligence organizations) to completely ignore information that very well may have been there but which wasn't beating down their doors and windows. Please note that Daud al-Funadhi, among others, was aware there was something Very Strange going on out there in the Fringe. The Alignment knew. Even Technodyne had an inkling. But none of them were able to get to the classified nitty-gritty, and even reports which made it clear that Haven Sector warfighting technology was increasing in capability by leaps and bounds (which is exactly what Luis Rozak and Oraville Barregos were reporting prior to the emergence of Torch) were suppressed by career bureaucrats in uniform who declined to see their rice bowls tipped over on the basis of clearly unfounded, wild, fact-free rumors of impssible new technologies.

Sorry if that seems unreasonable.[/quote]
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Castenea   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 am

Castenea
Captain of the List

lyonheart wrote:Hello RFC!

Again, any post from RFC is good, regardless of how much I or another poster get reamed, scolded or worse.

I believe the discussion at the bar was around ten years ago, but doubt there's a way to check now.

Definitely one way to put it into an important perspective, but given the apparent free discussion in War of Honor that made the nature of SDP's and CLAC's obvious to the manty public as well as the Havenite, which included Tom Theisman going public with the announcement of Bolthole and the RHN's first SDP's, etc should have gotten some attention from other navies.

Given that the three Haven sector powers had collectively built almost a thousand SD's in the roughly fifty years before the war, or about half the actual BF active force [with ~300 in the yards for repairs, refits or upgrades] should have gotten some attention from the SLN when it came to fighting for their annual budget.

There was a time early on when we first met Rajani that I wondered if Rajani wasn't just a Malign agent but one of the deep star lines', given his age and how he was so critical to suppressing or covering things up, but a very critical actor too important to leave to simple bribery.

While he was reinforcing the institutional arrogance of the SLN,under the claim of improving morale etc would certainly explain the 3.6 billion he'd squirreled away over the last 40-50 years or so, he now seems to willingly have lead the SLN leviathan into a narrow cave or tunnel it couldn't turn around when it began to realise it was trapped and unable to defend itself.

To be so willing to destroy one's apparent life's work, to let so many he was ultimately responsible for get killed [~2 million combined] makes him one of the legendary worst traitors of all time.

One wonders again if his secret files will be found by the various investigators we now know are trying to find out what's really going on.

Regarding Japan, it's prewar merchant marine was in the 6-7 million ton range, relying on around 4 million tons of outside [allied] shipping, which it managed to capture around 600,000 tons when the war began in its ports, China, Indochina and Hong Kong etc, which was quite a boon since it was more than their own construction in the past two years [1940 & 1941] and wasn't exceeded by their own production until 1943, when it was too late.

What I think RFC was referring to was the relative amount of traffic in and out of Japanese ports, which was still considerable, if not as high as major European and American ports.

So if Japan was then around 2% of the world's population, can we scale those numbers to get some basis for 'normal' verge traffic?

Definitely interesting times,

L
I will repeat my earlier point that While there were hobbyists who were looking for the information, and knew where to find it, these people were systematically prevented from speaking to anyone in a decision making capacity. Probably the closest any of them came to the halls of power was when reporters went looking for anyone who could give background on the news of the taking of San Martin, or First Battle of Manticore, and then they were often passed over for someone who gave a concise explanation without making Sollie chauvinism apparent.

Remember the SLN and much of the Sollie public "knew" it had the best equipment in the galaxy, and anyone who suggested that might not be true was treated like a leper.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:24 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

This is sort of a "what if" question. It seems that posters here and other threads are assuming that the worm holes and junctions are going to remain closed to the worlds of the League and are projecting long term trends on the basis of that assumption... But what if...Not? Obviously as long as the war between the GA and the League continues, commerce from worlds hostile to the GA will be banned from the wormholes and junctions. But we are not looking for that war to be long term. Eventually the League in its current form collapses and we have a different situation. What if the junctions reopen? Then What? How does that impact the situation? While I'm at it, does Manticore keep control of the junctions it has seized? Imagine the amount of capital that would represent... It would probably finance the rebuilding from the Yawata Strike.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kzt   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:35 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote: It would probably finance the rebuilding from the Yawata Strike.

Consider how much money the French could make taking control of all the canals in Britain in 1805. But it is possible that there might be some minor issues too...
Post by n7axw   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:41 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
n7axw wrote: It would probably finance the rebuilding from the Yawata Strike.

Consider how much money the French could make taking control of all the canals in Britain in 1805. But it is possible that there might be some minor issues too...

That's what makes the question interesting... But the situation you mention isn't really congruent.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:This is sort of a "what if" question. It seems that posters here and other threads are assuming that the worm holes and junctions are going to remain closed to the worlds of the League and are projecting long term trends on the basis of that assumption... But what if...Not? Obviously as long as the war between the GA and the League continues, commerce from worlds hostile to the GA will be banned from the wormholes and junctions. But we are not looking for that war to be long term. Eventually the League in its current form collapses ...

Closing the wormhole network to Solarian League commerce is a wedge to accelerate the collapse of the League. An obvious corollary is that if a system secedes from the League, Their commerce is no longer "Solarian League Commerce" and exempt from the restrictions. Thus the closures work to encourage secession and the break-up of the League.

Once the League breaks up or is reduced to the Sol System and a few die-hard core worlds, The closures become irrelevant for all but those few die-hards that "self-identify as the League's successors." The rest of the universe will go on with life and trade and no restrictions.

n7axw wrote:While I'm at it, does Manticore keep control of the junctions it has seized? Imagine the amount of capital that would represent...

There is textev that Manticore gives the majority of transit fees to the system where the terminus is located. Manticore has historically been more interested in developing friendly and prosperous trading partners than grasping for every credit it can squeeze out a situation.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Weird Harold,

Not quite.

I believe its more like half or less, ie a third etc; but since this is far more than the system ever had before or is going to get from anyone else such as the OFS, the system's population thinks its wonderful, especially since the SKM/SEM also becomes a major investor in the system's infrastructure; health, education, industry, and the port facilities the wormhole needs.

Given the SKM was usually the discoverer, and the wormhole is generally well outside their 12 light minute limit, the SKM/SEM is indeed being very generous, but there's altruism at work of course, a happy local pardner isn't going to hire somebody to take it away from you.

Just how many wormhole bridges the SEM holds onto after the current unpleasantness ends is a very interesting question; given no one but the RHN at the moment could kick them off the hyper bridges if they were willing to soak up huge losses, before they get upgraded to manty tech of course; and given the hints how well the GA is doing, ie Eloise and Elizabeth, that's so not going to happen in UH.

Personally, I'm feeling more inclined to Elizabeth dying for Eloise {Haven needs her more], though I was leaning more towards Eloise after AAC, when I first predicted they'd get along like a house on fire back at the bar, like that old song "Sisters" with Danny Kay and Bing Crosby in "White Christmas", IIRC.

But the recent books seem to foreshadow Elizabeth now, rather than Eloise, we'll see if my predictive batting average improves this time. ;)

L

Weird Harold wrote:
n7axw wrote:This is sort of a "what if" question. It seems that posters here and other threads are assuming that the worm holes and junctions are going to remain closed to the worlds of the League and are projecting long term trends on the basis of that assumption... But what if...Not? Obviously as long as the war between the GA and the League continues, commerce from worlds hostile to the GA will be banned from the wormholes and junctions. But we are not looking for that war to be long term. Eventually the League in its current form collapses ...

Closing the wormhole network to Solarian League commerce is a wedge to accelerate the collapse of the League. An obvious corollary is that if a system secedes from the League, Their commerce is no longer "Solarian League Commerce" and exempt from the restrictions. Thus the closures work to encourage secession and the break-up of the League.

Once the League breaks up or is reduced to the Sol System and a few die-hard core worlds, The closures become irrelevant for all but those few die-hards that "self-identify as the League's successors." The rest of the universe will go on with life and trade and no restrictions.

n7axw wrote:While I'm at it, does Manticore keep control of the junctions it has seized? Imagine the amount of capital that would represent...

There is textev that Manticore gives the majority of transit fees to the system where the terminus is located. Manticore has historically been more interested in developing friendly and prosperous trading partners than grasping for every credit it can squeeze out a situation.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Politics can be so damn complicated. One reason I don't like it.

Apparently I don't understand the rules of the Harrington Doctrine. Why doesn't the seizure of any junctions in League space also tear the fragile rice paper of which the navy has to walk, which bears the Harrington Doctrine?

Seems to me the citizens of the League would be highly pissed off regarding the chutzpah of the barbarians to blockade League space. Imagine some nation doing it to 21st century Americans.

"What?! I can't get my new IPhone-88 because who is blockading us in US space? Barbarians??? Well WTF is the president doing about it! And that ain't a question!"

It seems like this would rally the Solarian citizens as much as any other single transgression of the strategy contained in the Harrington Doctrine.

"I'd truly like to bottle the chutzpah of those phucking barbarians and sell it!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse