Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Michael Everett, n7axw and 12 guests

The logistics of travel and immigration

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The logistics of travel and immigration
Post by Theemile   » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Theemile
Admiral

Posts: 2750
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio USA

cthia wrote:Emigrating off of the planet has its downsides. Prolong didn't become available until 1829 PD which means an awful lot of the Harrington Clan, for example, are buried on Meyerdahl, which means opportunities to visit and pay respects are practically nonexistent.

I wonder just how many thousands actually comprised the Harrington Clan settling in the Star Kingdom?


If the story is accurate, 3 settled in the Star Kingdom.
******
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just about as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Top
Re: The logistics of travel and immigration
Post by kzt   » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:22 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 8893
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

cthia wrote:I wonder just how many thousands actually comprised the Harrington Clan settling in the Star Kingdom?

It's amazing what you can discover about a fictional world if your actually read the books and stories that make up that world.
Top
Re: The logistics of travel and immigration
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 8206
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

kzt wrote:
cthia wrote:I wonder just how many thousands actually comprised the Harrington Clan settling in the Star Kingdom?

It's amazing what you can discover about a fictional world if your actually read the books and stories that make up that world.


It would also help if I could find the time to reread each book several times over like most fans here on the forum, instead of simply once per story as I've managed.

It'd also help if I wasn't human and could absorb every single detail in one read through and not miss anything, like apparently you have done. No chance of that. Unlike you, I'm human.

It would also probably help if I'd become a fan before 2014, but, well, no such luck there for this "Johnny come lately."

But it certainly WON'T help if I don't ask questions because I'm afraid of the holier-than-thou perfect class. But alas, no chance of that either. :roll:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: The logistics of travel and immigration
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:45 am

Brigade XO
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1893
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: KY

Stephanie and her parents immigrated to SKM, specificaly to Sphinx. The Harringtons have been on Sphinx (and now at least Manticore )for several hundred years, that would easily account for the numbers of relatives Honor had including those lost in the OB attack. It is certainly possible that other Harringtons later immigtrated from Meyerdahl but I don't think that has been mentioned.
Recall that Stephanie's parents, in addition to having the Meyerdahl mods as part of their basic genetic makeup, had experience and skill sets that were in demand in SKM for Sphinx: botanist (both Terran and exobotany) and veterinary medicine (Terran and exobiology vet). Her mother is investigating and experimenting with adapting Earth type plants to Sphinx and investigating local plants for useful properties including possible food sources. Her father is dealing both with colonists animals and studying the local fauna.
Top
Re: The logistics of travel and immigration
Post by saber964   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:52 pm

saber964
Admiral

Posts: 2107
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:41 pm
Location: Spokane WA USA

Brigade XO wrote:Stephanie and her parents immigrated to SKM, specificaly to Sphinx. The Harringtons have been on Sphinx (and now at least Manticore )for several hundred years, that would easily account for the numbers of relatives Honor had including those lost in the OB attack. It is certainly possible that other Harringtons later immigtrated from Meyerdahl but I don't think that has been mentioned.
Recall that Stephanie's parents, in addition to having the Meyerdahl mods as part of their basic genetic makeup, had experience and skill sets that were in demand in SKM for Sphinx: botanist (both Terran and exobotany) and veterinary medicine (Terran and exobiology vet). Her mother is investigating and experimenting with adapting Earth type plants to Sphinx and investigating local plants for useful properties including possible food sources. Her father is dealing both with colonists animals and studying the local fauna.


Also IIRC the Harrington's took over existing practices after the previous one died in the plague.
Top
Re: The logistics of travel and immigration
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:23 pm

isaac_newton
Captain of the List

Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 am
Location: Brighton, UK

saber964 wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:SNIP



Actually the Old SKM is made up of Manticore Sphinx Gryphon Basilisk San Martin and Lynx. I don't think you would have to many people immigrating to San Martin because of it extremely heavy gravity (2.7g).


This discussion, and especially when it gets to grav plates and personal units has just solved something that has been bugging me for ages. :-)

It's about when Honor brings her 'army' of 300,000 or so escapees down to the surface of San Martin [IIRC].

That had seemed to me like a sure fire way to make their lives singularly unpleasant for quite a long time, especially given lots of them were not in peak physical condition. I just couldn't see why that had been decided on and no-one seemed to worry.

Of course, now I see that's a non-issue!
Top
Re: The logistics of travel and immigration
Post by saber964   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:32 pm

saber964
Admiral

Posts: 2107
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:41 pm
Location: Spokane WA USA

isaac_newton wrote:[uote="saber964"]
Jonathan_S wrote:SNIP



Actually the Old SKM is made up of Manticore Sphinx Gryphon Basilisk San Martin and Lynx. I don't think you would have to many people immigrating to San Martin because of it extremely heavy gravity (2.7g).


This discussion, and especially when it gets to grav plates and personal units has just solved something that has been bugging me for ages. :-)

It's about when Honor brings her 'army' of 300,000 or so escapees down to the surface of San Martin [IIRC].

That had seemed to me like a sure fire way to make their lives singularly unpleasant for quite a long time, especially given lots of them were not in peak physical condition. I just couldn't see why that had been decided on and no-one seemed to worry.

Of course, now I see that's a non-issue![/quote]

Remember that the Manticorain occupation was still going on. So a lot of ground side personnel would have had grav belts and plates. They could've temporarily accommodated them all by doubling up. Plus also remember that Honors group was the second to leave but the first to arrive. IIRC group one had 286,000 escapees and the second group had 106,000. The second group would have been easily accommodated and IIRC they had two or three weeks to prepare for the larger groups arrival.
Top
Re: The logistics of travel and immigration
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Theemile
Admiral

Posts: 2750
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio USA

saber964 wrote:
Remember that the Manticorain occupation was still going on. So a lot of ground side personnel would have had grav belts and plates. They could've temporarily accommodated them all by doubling up. Plus also remember that Honors group was the second to leave but the first to arrive. IIRC group one had 286,000 escapees and the second group had 106,000. The second group would have been easily accommodated and IIRC they had two or three weeks to prepare for the larger groups arrival.


Actually, I can see that "public" spaces (such as hotels, planetary government buildings and convention centers) would have gravplates built in to accommodate offworlders, ESPECIALLY on a planet like San Martin, where offworlders couldn't function in normal conditions. And since San Martin had been occupied for the better part of 70 years, ther are lots of offworlders who want to work and live in "normal" gravity in positions of power.
******
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just about as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Top
Re: The logistics of travel and immigration
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:39 am

isaac_newton
Captain of the List

Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Theemile wrote:
saber964 wrote:
Remember that the Manticorain occupation was still going on. So a lot of ground side personnel would have had grav belts and plates. They could've temporarily accommodated them all by doubling up. Plus also remember that Honors group was the second to leave but the first to arrive. IIRC group one had 286,000 escapees and the second group had 106,000. The second group would have been easily accommodated and IIRC they had two or three weeks to prepare for the larger groups arrival.


Actually, I can see that "public" spaces (such as hotels, planetary government buildings and convention centers) would have gravplates built in to accommodate offworlders, ESPECIALLY on a planet like San Martin, where offworlders couldn't function in normal conditions. And since San Martin had been occupied for the better part of 70 years, ther are lots of offworlders who want to work and live in "normal" gravity in positions of power.


Yes - I wasn't so much thinking about the accomodation problem, as the sheer discomfort of suddenlt beaing subjected to nearly 3G for weeks/months.

Thinking about the public areas - I guess that grav plates must have a field pattern that slowly decays away from the plate - it wouldn't be much fun to go from 1G to 2.7G in a single step, specially if you were not ready for it!
Top
Re: The logistics of travel and immigration
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:01 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5364
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

isaac_newton wrote:
Thinking about the public areas - I guess that grav plates must have a field pattern that slowly decays away from the plate - it wouldn't be much fun to go from 1G to 2.7G in a single step, specially if you were not ready for it!

Or if not it'd be easy enough to create that effect by programming the grav plates near the edge / exit of the reduced grav area to create that grav gradient working up from 1g to the local ambient grav.
Top

Return to Honorverse