Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 34 guests

Honor Harrington book 14

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honor Harrington book 14
Post by Buster49   » Sun May 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Buster49
Midshipman

Does anyone know when book 14 of the series is due to released? Really enjoyed book 13
Re: Honor Harrington book 14
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun May 21, 2017 8:10 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Buster49 wrote:Does anyone know when book 14 of the series is due to released? Really enjoyed book 13

I'd have to go back, book 14 was a long time ago.

Oh. You're making the assumption that there are several parts of the series; most us prefer to see it as one series, including the Torch, Talbot and anthologies in the main line.

The last book, tentatively titled "Uncompromising Honor" is planned for the anniversary of On Basilisk Ststion, in April of next year. Of course, plans never survive contact with reality, but there are some signs that this one may work out.
Post by RedBaron   » Sat May 27, 2017 9:57 am

RedBaron

So in other words - like ANOTHER author I know of - DW is just going to ditch the whole thing and move on, leaving the SK/HV/etc line unfinished and with tons of loose ends.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat May 27, 2017 12:54 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

RedBaron wrote:So in other words - like ANOTHER author I know of - DW is just going to ditch the whole thing and move on, leaving the SK/HV/etc line unfinished and with tons of loose ends.

The last I heard, he's planning on wrapping up the Solarian League arc, but the Darius arc will be left dangling. He's gone back and forth on whether there will be a second series that will handle that.

There may be more unverified rumors after this weekend.
Post by RedBaron   » Sat May 27, 2017 9:58 pm

RedBaron

JohnRoth wrote:
RedBaron wrote:So in other words - like ANOTHER author I know of - DW is just going to ditch the whole thing and move on, leaving the SK/HV/etc line unfinished and with tons of loose ends.

The last I heard, he's planning on wrapping up the Solarian League arc, but the Darius arc will be left dangling. He's gone back and forth on whether there will be a second series that will handle that.

He's ALSO left the "Stephanie Harrington" (which I've heard referred to as the 'star kingdom' arc) and most likely the "Travis Long" (Manticore Accendant) arcs hanging.

That kind of thing tends to piss me off! I mean, why bother getting involved in a book series when the author doesn't finish what he/she starts? That's like only making half of a movie and expecting people to still pay the full price for tickets.
Post by Louis R   » Sat May 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Well, if that's the way you feel, you're going to have to arrange sales of another 5-6000 copies of the existing books. And, probably, guarantee similar volumes for any new works.

RedBaron wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:The last I heard, he's planning on wrapping up the Solarian League arc, but the Darius arc will be left dangling. He's gone back and forth on whether there will be a second series that will handle that.

He's ALSO left the "Stephanie Harrington" (which I've heard referred to as the 'star kingdom' arc) and most likely the "Travis Long" (Manticore Accendant) arcs hanging.

That kind of thing tends to piss me off! I mean, why bother getting involved in a book series when the author doesn't finish what he/she starts? That's like only making half of a movie and expecting people to still pay the full price for tickets.
Post by Lunan   » Sat May 27, 2017 10:52 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

The Travis long series is geting book 3 next year, its on the release schedule and on amazon (health for both Himself and Zahn left that not happening this year). Honestly i never got past book one on the treecat series sorry.

as for finishing the Solarian League story i'm good. get that done and then if he has the time and ability the Daruis story can make the temporal jump 20-40 years into the future and focus on other people, like the kids.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun May 28, 2017 12:40 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:The last I heard, he's planning on wrapping up the Solarian League arc, but the Darius arc will be left dangling. He's gone back and forth on whether there will be a second series that will handle that.

RedBaron wrote:He's ALSO left the "Stephanie Harrington" (which I've heard referred to as the 'star kingdom' arc) and most likely the "Travis Long" (Manticore Accendant) arcs hanging.

The Star Kingdom stories look like Heinlein juveniles. These days what sells in the YA category is distopias. Think Hunger Games. Weber simply isn't going to write that kind of a story. (He could prove me wrong, but I doubt it.)

The decision to kill the series was made by Baen, not Weber, on the basis of sales figures.

As far as Manticore Ascendent is concerned, the lack of a hard date for the third book until recently is probably a result of the mess with the last two Honorverse books: they were both so late that Baen didn't have time to do a decent job of editing. The last one just barely made it in time to get to the printer, without any copyediting. Given that, it's quite reasonable that Baen isn't announcing dates until they have the book in hand and it's been accepted.
Post by kzt   » Sun May 28, 2017 1:53 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The core issue is that David is getting older and sicker. He'd like to get off the treadmill of slaving over the next book so he can put shoes on his kids feet and pay the doctor bills. So he also writes books for people who pay him better than Baen can so hopefully his kids can go to college without his having to work 12 hours a day until he's 83.

So we are not going to get closure of the MA arc unless David does a "rocks fall, everybody dies" like Steve Stirling did in the Islands series. And I doubt you'd be any happier about David doing it that we were at Steve doing it.
Post by Roguevictory   » Sun May 28, 2017 2:32 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

True but the MA series isn't something he wrote solo either. Even if Zahn wants nothing to do with it after book 3 there's no reason they can bring in a replacement for him like Starfire did when RFC left. And no reason they can't bring in someone to work with him on a post Solarian League series.

Return to Honorverse