Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 39 guests

Screen Test _Casting Pavel Young

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Screen Test _Casting Pavel Young
Post by cthia   » Fri May 12, 2017 4:46 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Screen Test.

As stated before, Young's character really interests me -- with his still being able to pull off being intimidating to Honor under all of the actual circumstances was very impressive. During the time of talk about a movie, I was really excited about the idea of "some" actor portraying Young's character and nailing it. A good protagonist oftentimes carries a storyline, fuels it, even determines its appeal.

The "Best Supporting Actor or Protagonist."

Young exuded general confidence - though false. Yet it was a reflection and measure of his social status and confidence - which was real. I imagine he was a cross between a Houseman and a High Ridge. Point being, Young had to be the quintessential jaded privileged aristocrat born with his head wedged far up his own ass -- the type of aristocrat that others who wore the title well, loathed, like Terekov?, iirc. Aristocrats like Young gave the title a bad name.

Yet, what actor could successfully pull off Pavel Young? A casting part I feel is nearly as important as casting Honor Harrington.

My vote goes to... the envelope please...

Val Kilmer. His portrayal of Doc Holiday shows extraordinary talent and range. He's a giant of an actor in my book and could quite easily pull off the likes of Pavel Young with aplomb.

Is there anyone else that should try on the single glass slipper?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Screen Test _Casting Pavel Young
Post by munroburton   » Fri May 12, 2017 6:26 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Benedict Cumberbatch.
Post by dlewis0160   » Fri May 12, 2017 9:40 pm

dlewis0160
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

munroburton Good one! :shock:
Post by cthia   » Sat May 13, 2017 6:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:Benedict Cumberbatch.

I'm not familiar with him so I cannot comment on it, except to mention that I failed to consider an English accent, or whether Val Kilmer can effectively pull off an English accent.

To be honest, I never considered that there would still be an accent in the Honorverse. Do you think?

I can say that your casting certainly looks like a Pavel Young.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Somtaaw   » Sat May 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

I'm not familiar with him so I cannot comment on it, except to mention that I failed to consider an English accent, or whether Val Kilmer can effectively pull off an English accent.

To be honest, I never considered that there would still be an accent in the Honorverse. Do you think?

I don't remember Pavel Young (or any of the Young clan for that matter) to have any accents attributed to them.

Now casting for the future Oversteegen on the other hand, with his aristocratic drawling? That is going to be rather exceptionally harder without handwaving or using a second voice-actor only, much like the original Star Wars Darth Vader with James Earl Jones.
Post by cthia   » Sun May 14, 2017 3:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Somtaaw wrote:I don't remember Pavel Young (or any of the Young clan for that matter) to have any accents attributed to them.

Now casting for the future Oversteegen on the other hand, with his aristocratic drawling? That is going to be rather exceptionally harder without handwaving or using a second voice-actor only, much like the original Star Wars Darth Vader with James Earl Jones.

I don't recall an accent either other than Oversteegen's and was just following munroburton's lead (intentional or no) with his casting of an English actor -- and since Manticore is modelled after our friendly Royals across the pond. I'm simply gobsmacked that I could have missed such an interesting subtlety throughout my investment in the series.

It does make me wonder where Oversteegen came by his accent though.

Post by munroburton   » Sun May 14, 2017 4:10 am

munroburton
Admiral

The accent wasn't what I was thinking of.

Cumberbatch already acted a role which at the time reminded me somewhat of Pavel. Paul Marshall in Atonement.
Post by cthia   » Sun May 14, 2017 9:34 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:The accent wasn't what I was thinking of.

Cumberbatch already acted a role which at the time reminded me somewhat of Pavel. Paul Marshall in Atonement.

"I cannot believe you haven't seen it love, since you fancy so much Keira Knightley and Saoirse Ronan," says my wife with astonishment.

" :o " with equal astonishment. "Both in the same movie you say!"

Tonight I shall, with the company of a lovely woman. I'll get back with you... laters.

Post by cthia   » Mon May 15, 2017 4:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

"I cannot believe you haven't seen it love, since you fancy so much Keira Knightley and Saoirse Ronan," says my wife with astonishment.

Tonight I shall, with the company of a lovely woman. I'll get back with you... laters.

Excellent casting choice for Pavel Young!

Especially after makeup finishes with him. Though I always imagined Pavel to be a bit bulkier and/or muscular because he is a normally aspirated human who doesn't enjoy any enhancements, and while engaging him Honor was concerned about putting him down and keeping him down so he wouldn't get a chance to retaliate and turn the tables. Being much taller and more proficient at hand to hand combat and being enhanced to boot, why would Honor have been concerned regarding Young's fighting ability, lest he had a bit of bulk on him. Or perhaps she was just giving him credit "where credit isn't due." Perhaps she assumed that the idiot at least passed the combat training course and could fight. Or perhaps she didn't know her own strength when royally pissed off. If you attribute Honor to having cat like fighting skills, that is one cat you do not want to let out of the bag.

Or she could have been wet and on slippery surfaces and Young in his boots.

Also, it seems that if Young did participate in the combat training course many would be familiar with his level of expertise and Honor didn't seem to know that his combat skills were non existent. But likewise, he didn't seem to know that hers was exceptional. 'sigh'

Of course, you never underestimate your opponent and certainly size is no substitute for skill if you ask anyone who knows Cachat, but Honor had the edge of enhancement, accomplished in her class and extra sessions with McDougal. And Young, none of the above. And... well... Young. But then, perhaps the timeline made it too soon for it to be well known that he was simply inadequate.

There are so many annoying unanswered questions. Questions whose answers I have to think will come from the gawky horse's mouth itself one day and would I like to be there when she tells the entire candid, unabridged sordid story to her closest assembled friends.

Are you kidding me? Would I?!...

I'm literally talking... Fly on the wall!

Aside:
I appreciate your cast and the movie info, thoroughly enjoyed it. Having two of my most favorite female actresses was a bonus. Keira Knightley is such a babe. She is sooo hot! I'm talking boiling, toiling, roiling English lava! Like my Amy.

Although I can see the obvious future beauty of Saoirse Ronan in the movie as well, she was only 13 at the time.

Post by cthia   » Mon May 15, 2017 5:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

cthia wrote:Excellent casting choice for Pavel Young!

Especially after makeup finishes with him. Though I always imagined Pavel to be a bit bulkier and/or muscular because he is a normally aspirated human who doesn't enjoy any enhancements, and while engaging him Honor was concerned about putting him down and keeping him down so he wouldn't get a chance to retaliate and turn the tables. Being much taller and more proficient at hand to hand combat and being enhanced to boot, why would Honor have been concerned regarding Young's fighting ability, lest he had a bit of bulk on him. Or perhaps she was just giving him credit "where credit isn't due." Perhaps she assumed that the idiot at least passed the combat training course and could fight. Or perhaps she didn't know her own strength when royally pissed off. If you attribute Honor to having cat like fighting skills, that is one cat you do not want to let out of the bag.

Or she could have been wet and on slippery surfaces and Young in his boots.

Also, it seems that if Young did participate in the combat training course many would be familiar with his level of expertise and Honor didn't seem to know that his combat skills were non existent. But likewise, he didn't seem to know that hers was exceptional. 'sigh'

Of course, you never underestimate your opponent and certainly size is no substitute for skill if you ask anyone who knows Cachat, but Honor had the edge of enhancement, accomplished in her class and extra sessions with McDougal. And Young, none of the above. And... well... Young. But then, perhaps the timeline made it too soon for it to be well known that he was simply inadequate.

There are so many annoying unanswered questions. Questions whose answers I have to think will come from the gawky horse's mouth itself one day and would I like to be there when she tells the entire candid, unabridged sordid story to her closest assembled friends.

Are you kidding me? Would I?!...

I'm literally talking... Fly on the wall!

Aside:
I appreciate your cast and the movie info, thoroughly enjoyed it. Having two of my most favorite female actresses was a bonus. Keira Knightley is such a babe. She is sooo hot! I'm talking boiling, toiling, roiling English lava! Like my Amy.

Although I can see the obvious future beauty of Saoirse Ronan in the movie as well, she was only 13 at the time.

Plus! Honor had the grav plates cranked up!

The deck was really stacked against Young. It is ironic that she left him on that same stacked deck.

She was simply better at playing cards. Pavel played the JoKeR but Honor simply used a wild card on him.

Return to Honorverse