Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

Screen Test _Casting Pavel Young

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Screen Test _Casting Pavel Young
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:51 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Remember that whoever is cast as Pavel Young, Denver Summervale, R. S. Pierre, Cordelia, etc., it has to be an actor the audience is going to enjoy seeing killed. "Oops." "Good by, Mr. Chairman." shot from navel to bridge of the nose. Etc.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
cthia wrote:Screen Test.

[ts like Young gave the title a bad name.

Yet, what actor could successfully pull off Pavel Young? A casting part I feel is nearly as important as casting Honor Harrington.

My vote goes to... the envelope please...

Val Kilmer. His portrayal of Doc Holiday shows extraordinary talent and range. He's a giant of an actor in my book and could quite easily pull off the likes of Pavel Young with aplomb.

Is there anyone else that should try on the single glass slipper?
Rincewind wrote:He is probably a bit too old now but what about Alexis Denisof?
ldwechsler wrote:The whole notion is ridiculous. First of all, Pavel Young is only in a few books and never all that much. He is a minor villain.

Second, the stars mentioned would not do the part. This is TV
series, likely on HBO or Netflix, etc. Not all that much money to pay for supporting cast. Think Game of Thrones. No one in the cast was really well known before the show. Iwan Rheon (I probably spelled his name incorrectly) played villain Ramsey Bolton and was great. By the way, he would be even better as Pavel Young.

I don't care if it's Gal Gadot or anyone else. I'll be happy even with a blond as long as we get the show.

A MINOR CHARACTER???
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I'm speechless... staggered, startled, stumped, stunned... astonished, astounded, aghast, amazed, addled, agape, appalled... bowled over, bewildered, buffaloed... dumbstruck, dazed, disconcerted... tongue-tied, thrown, taken aback... unsettled... perplexed... mystified, mortified, horrified, unglued... rattled... in a dither... flustered, floored, flabbergasted... I've, I've, I've plum gotten my knickers in a bunch!... To...to...to say such a thing!... Are you mad man! I'm stupefied... and... and... and I'm all shook up!

Why, I've been reduced to muttering incoherent vehemence through gritted teeth!

Pavel Young puts the vitriol in villain.

Though his antagonistic part be small, it be but fierce.

Though his part be but a paragraph he was loathed. Though his part be but a footnote, he was stomped!!!

Remember, Pavel Young is the arch nemesis of the series' heroine. He is the thorn in her side and the catalyst of some of her nightmares even now.

The premise of the thread is to cast him on the big screen—as was probably on many a mind when a movie was in the making. Even casting him in a tv series is important as it could turn out to be the wind beneath the pilot's wings to propel the tv offering to the big screen. Think big lad! Think big!

We as readers encountered Pavel Young as early as On Basilisk Station and he is still responsible for some of my latent anger. I suppose my picking up the series right at OBS was instrumental in Pavel getting under my skin and into my bones. I hated him more than Honor and Honor hated him more than Beth hated Peeps. As a reader, I wanted to be the bullet.

'Be the bullet cthia.'

I was the bullet. And the next. And the next. And the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next... and the next...

Wait! How many bullets were there!... Oh shit, I'm outta here!

Better lay low for awhile. Wear sunglasses and shades. 8-)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:Remember that whoever is cast as Pavel Young, Denver Summervale, R. S. Pierre, Cordelia, etc., it has to be an actor the audience is going to enjoy seeing killed. "Oops." "Good by, Mr. Chairman." shot from navel to bridge of the nose. Etc.

Very good point Fox2! Whoever is cast as Pavel Young has to make me want to be the bullet all over again. But methinks a ceramecrete cast will settle that score just as well.

One of my most beloved actors is Denzel Washington. I simply adore him onscreen. Never thought he could play a role that I'd despise. Yet, in Training Day...

I was happy when he was shot and killed——Thrilled even!

All through the movie I was screaming "Kill that SOB! Kill that SOB" much to the dismay of my gf at the time who loves him more than I. I hate his role in that movie so much I can't watch it twice; so this clip is almost new to me. Goes to show his range as an actor.

He won an Oscar for Best Actor in that movie.

Which is what we need for Pavel Young, an Oscar winning performance.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by munroburton   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:15 am

munroburton
Admiral

Actually, that's a good point. Young was a minor character in OBS - he only physically appears in... two? scenes.

Nowhere to be seen in HotQ.

SVW, he did play a greater role. But certainly wasn't the focus of that story - more of a C-subplot.

The only novel in which Young becomes a main character, IMO, is Field of Dishonor. Obviously, he does not appear again after that story.

So it's a more limited character role. Certainly compared to Oscar Saint-Just, Young is simply a shallow thug.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:06 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
A MINOR CHARACTER???
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I'm speechless... staggered, startled, stumped, stunned... astonished, astounded, aghast, amazed, addled, agape, appalled... bowled over, bewildered, buffaloed... dumbstruck, dazed, disconcerted... tongue-tied, thrown, taken aback... unsettled... perplexed... mystified, mortified, horrified, unglued... rattled... in a dither... flustered, floored, flabbergasted... I've, I've, I've plum gotten my knickers in a bunch!... To...to...to say such a thing!... Are you mad man! I'm stupefied... and... and... and I'm all shook up!

Why, I've been reduced to muttering incoherent vehemence through gritted teeth!

Young looms vast in Honor's mind; but in terms of screen time he is a minor character. (And even more-so if, as sometimes discussed, the movies / show starts after On Basilisk Station).

Even in OBS his face-to-face interaction is barely 9 paragraphs. - basically 1 page. And most of that is visual description of him, and some internal monologue about his career. The whole exchange, including keeping Honor waiting while he ostentatiously finishes reading a dispatch would take about 90 seconds.

It seems like it would be hard to get an actor excited about so little screen time, no mater how much of a personal bogeyman the character is to Honor...

[Edit - or largely what munroburton just said. Got to get better about reading to the end of the thread before posting a response]
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:08 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'll agree that he is a minor character as far as screen time. But he is NOT a minor character.

More to the point, he certainly is NOT a minor villain, as ldwechsler stated.

Post by robert132   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:58 am

robert132
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:I'll agree that he is a minor character as far as screen time. But he is NOT a minor character.

Agree for the most part though in SVW he becomes more of a major character as he forms the basis of a major sub-plot in the story (major as in nearly getting Nike and everyone in her killed) and is the pivotal villain in Field of Dishonor (may he not rest in peace.) "Cowards die a thousand deaths" and he certainly did in those last few seconds on the Field.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:06 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:
cthia wrote:I'll agree that he is a minor character as far as screen time. But he is NOT a minor character.

Agree for the most part though in SVW he becomes more of a major character as he forms the basis of a major sub-plot in the story (major as in nearly getting Nike and everyone in her killed) and is the pivotal villain in Field of Dishonor (may he not rest in peace.) "Cowards die a thousand deaths" and he certainly did in those last few seconds on the Field.

Agreed. And... nice observation!

The almost getting everyone onboard Nike killed was the impetus behind my statement that he is a villain who continues to cause her nightmares, even in death.

Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:06 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:...he is a villain who continues to cause her nightmares, even in death.

I think everyone is forgetting his role in the "good old boys network" that prompted so many of her other problems, starting with Elvis Santino on her middy cruise. Without Pavel's malice in the background her carreer would have been much smoother.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:...he is a villain who continues to cause her nightmares, even in death.

I think everyone is forgetting his role in the "good old boys network" that prompted so many of her other problems, starting with Elvis Santino on her middy cruise. Without Pavel's malice in the background her carreer would have been much smoother.

Ab-so-frigging-lutely! I didn't forget it Harold and I almost pointed it out but decided, 'Oh what the heck. It should be obvious.'

Pavel didn't get much "onscreen" time. But he never sat his sorry ass down "offscreen" where he was always busy as a friggin' bee. He -- and his father -- were industrious as honey bees always humming away behind the scenes. The "good ol' boy network" was always overloaded with evil.

Nice call.

Return to Honorverse