Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Screen Test _Casting Pavel Young

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Screen Test _Casting Pavel Young
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:42 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Kevin Spacey anyone
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:10 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Kevin Spacey anyone

Pavel is 3rd gen prolong. So if he were to look like Kevin Spacey, it would be a 19th year old Kevin Spacey.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by robert132   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:38 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:...he is a villain who continues to cause her nightmares, even in death.

I think everyone is forgetting his role in the "good old boys network" that prompted so many of her other problems, starting with Elvis Santino on her middy cruise. Without Pavel's malice in the background her carreer would have been much smoother.

Actually I think that many of the problems this "good ol boy's network" threw in her way or at her helped to build her as a person AND as an officer.

You don't forge an exquisitely fine sword blade without a lot of heat and hammering no matter how good the base steel is. All in all I think it possible that without the heat and hammering they helped provide she might not have become that "fine sword" her Queen and Protector Benjamin needed her to be.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:You don't forge an exquisitely fine sword blade without a lot of heat and hammering no matter how good the base steel is. All in all I think it possible that without the heat and hammering they helped provide she might not have become that "fine sword" her Queen and Protector Benjamin needed her to be.

All true, but just because she bested the villainous henchmen doesn't mean they weren't villains or Pavel's "henchmen."
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Rincewind   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:16 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:I'll agree that he is a minor character as far as screen time. But he is NOT a minor character.

More to the point, he certainly is NOT a minor villain, as ldwechsler stated.

Actually, if you want to see someone who was a major character whose presence ran throughout two series but who only appeared in two scenes; (one in each series), then go watch Patrick Stewart's performance as Karla in Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy & Smiley's People. What is more in both series he never says a word yet he still manages to dominate the scene, (particularly in the interrogation scene in Delhi in Tinker Taylor).
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
cthia wrote:I'll agree that he is a minor character as far as screen time. But he is NOT a minor character.

More to the point, he certainly is NOT a minor villain, as ldwechsler stated.

Actually, if you want to see someone who was a major character whose presence ran throughout two series but who only appeared in two scenes; (one in each series), then go watch Patrick Stewart's performance as Karla in Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy & Smiley's People. What is more in both series he never says a word yet he still manages to dominate the scene, (particularly in the interrogation scene in Delhi in Tinker Taylor).

Keep in mind that there are no small parts only small actors.

But frankly you don't need real stars. Take a look at Game of Thrones. No one really knew most of the stars and a real lot of the actors playing key roles were unknown to the general public.

The people playing Tywin, Stannis, Davos, etc. were all fine unknowns and did a great job.

That's who you're likely to get if you do this as a production.
He might be evil but he's barely seen. He's got only a bit part in OBS... a scene or two and pretty much the same in SVW. And then he gets shot.

In a movie he might not even be shown.

The only well known person might be the one playing Honor.
Post by BrightSoul   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:28 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

I am stunned no one has mentioned Loki himself as a candidate?!?

Tom Hiddleston. Can play slimey quite easily. I bet he could pull off the privileged Aristo well.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

BrightSoul wrote:I am stunned no one has mentioned Loki himself as a candidate?!?

Tom Hiddleston. Can play slimey quite easily. I bet he could pull off the privileged Aristo well.

Hiddleston generally plays characters smarter than Pavel Young, though. He's more a Michael Oversteegen, especially when we think Oversteegen's merely another privileged aristo.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:43 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Chris Barrie, though he's probably too old.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:Chris Barrie, though he's probably too old.

After you pay some of these people for small roles, you might not be able to have any space battles. Maybe not an Honor.

But dream along.

Return to Honorverse