Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Brief Update from David

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Brief Update from David
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun May 07, 2017 4:23 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

fallsfromtrees wrote:
kzt wrote:Cool. 5% done! :D

Are we really expecting this book to be 1.8 million words?

munroburton wrote:The book is at 0%. That 90,000 words is an appendix treatise on the ultimate fate of the ex-SLN SDs. ;)

I hope rfc does include something about the fate of the ex-SLN
SDs in the book, at least then the topic will finally be over. :mrgreen:
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Eagleeye   » Sun May 07, 2017 4:49 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

kzt wrote:
Duckk wrote:Got a call from David earlier, he is 90,000 words into Uncompromising Honor, which will be the book that wraps up the situation with the Solarian League. He doesn't have time to visit the forums, because if he does, he'll never leave.

Cool. 5% done! :D

JohnRoth wrote:Pessimist much?

Assuming he's aiming at 300,000 words and will cut 100,000 from the first draft to get there, he's at 22% to end of first draft. Then there's his editing time before sending it in, Baen's edits [1] which he will have to deal with and the copyedits which he will also have to deal with. So I'd say 10% to 15% - assuming he's aiming at a camel-choker of a book.

[1] That's what caused a lot of the problems with the last book. There wasn't time for a copy-edit.

So I assume that he is on track for a publication date sometime in the spring of 2018? That's really good news! Because so we have a chance to see the e-arc as a X-mas gift!

But nonetheless - I'm ready to wait for as long as it needs. The 25th anniversary of OBS would be nice, sure, but as long as I know it goes public at all, it's all right with me.
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Sun May 07, 2017 7:16 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

Duckk wrote:Got a call from David earlier, he is 90,000 words into Uncompromising Honor, which will be the book that wraps up the situation with the Solarian League. He doesn't have time to visit the forums, because if he does, he'll never leave.

Great, thank you (and him) for the update!

And much as I like to read his posts here on the forum I am sure he knows best.
Post by Lunan   » Sun May 07, 2017 11:53 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

whats the longest word count book himself has put out so far? thats the meter stick i would use and add 50k to 100k words to it. this has to be a BIG book to wrap it up
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun May 07, 2017 11:58 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

George J. Smith wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:Are we really expecting this book to be 1.8 million words?

munroburton wrote:The book is at 0%. That 90,000 words is an appendix treatise on the ultimate fate of the ex-SLN SDs. ;)

Keep telling yourself that. You might even start believing it.
Post by jtg452   » Sun May 07, 2017 9:59 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

MaxxQ wrote:

Come on, Maxx, you mean you don't enjoy someone coming in every couple of months saying that we should cut them in half and make system defense ships out of them for the Talbot Quadrant or gut them and make them into freighters, carriers or orbiting habitats for Medusans and treecats? :o :lol:

My favorite was the one where they get sent to the Sillies and have them do all of the refitting. :mrgreen: :lol:
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun May 07, 2017 10:27 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

jtg452 wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:

Come on, Maxx, you mean you don't enjoy someone coming in every couple of months saying that we should cut them in half and make system defense ships out of them for the Talbot Quadrant or gut them and make them into freighters, carriers or orbiting habitats for Medusans and treecats? :o :lol:

My favorite was the one where they get sent to the Sillies and have them do all of the refitting. :mrgreen: :lol:

Meh. It was entertaining at first, but now it's like reading all the flat-earther comments on YouTube - my eyes hurt from rolling so much.
Post by ti3x   » Mon May 08, 2017 12:02 am

ti3x
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:Meh. It was entertaining at first, but now it's like reading all the flat-earther comments on YouTube - my eyes hurt from rolling so much.

I've always felt that way about the free energy videos on YouTube.

This one's for you:
Former PO Maxx Kew, discharged from the RMN because of his unfixable eyeball rolling medical condition, floated down the corridor of the abandoned Scientist class SD. It was quiet as he went from compartment to compartment, his eyes sometimes even alighting upon his surroundings as they rolled from just the memory of the civilian pundits talking about what might be done with the largess of ships.

"Not a one of them ever served..." he muttered as his eyes rolled again.

No matter, he was here to do a job. In one of these compartments might be the latest plot device, and then the RMN would finally be able to scrap the ships. And maybe that would finally shut up the idiots and hairy palmed pundits talking about turning the ships into drones, defense platforms, freighters, LAC Carriers, plucky street urchins, or whatever else they were espousing this week.

As he moved through a service corridor, he saw a door that wasn't on the schematics. After some totally legit hacking he managed to open the door. Inside was a workstation, and on that workstation was an obvious plot device.

Not being able to ensure there were no booby traps, Maxx called up the line.

"Hey Buckly, I've got a job for you."
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon May 08, 2017 2:23 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

ti3x wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:Meh. It was entertaining at first, but now it's like reading all the flat-earther comments on YouTube - my eyes hurt from rolling so much.

I've always felt that way about the free energy videos on YouTube.

This one's for you:
Former PO Maxx Kew, discharged from the RMN because of his unfixable eyeball rolling medical condition, floated down the corridor of the abandoned Scientist class SD. It was quiet as he went from compartment to compartment, his eyes sometimes even alighting upon his surroundings as they rolled from just the memory of the civilian pundits talking about what might be done with the largess of ships.

"Not a one of them ever served..." he muttered as his eyes rolled again.

No matter, he was here to do a job. In one of these compartments might be the latest plot device, and then the RMN would finally be able to scrap the ships. And maybe that would finally shut up the idiots and hairy palmed pundits talking about turning the ships into drones, defense platforms, freighters, LAC Carriers, plucky street urchins, or whatever else they were espousing this week.

As he moved through a service corridor, he saw a door that wasn't on the schematics. After some totally legit hacking he managed to open the door. Inside was a workstation, and on that workstation was an obvious plot device.

Not being able to ensure there were no booby traps, Maxx called up the line.

"Hey Buckly, I've got a job for you."

Pretty good. I've never been the subject of a story before. Made me laugh, though. Especially the last line.

BTW, it's very close to fanfic, which is a bit of a no-no here.

Just kidding. I think this one is fine. Just don't expand on it.
Post by ti3x   » Mon May 08, 2017 2:50 am

ti3x
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:Pretty good. I've never been the subject of a story before. Made me laugh, though. Especially the last line.

Glad to hear it. I've been wanting to make a funny about the Solly SD topic since the last time it came up.

MaxxQ wrote:BTW, it's very close to fanfic, which is a bit of a no-no here.

Parody snippet, surely. I don't have enough respect for the universe itself to bother with anything more. No Dyson swarms, star systems aren't in the multi-trillions of population (even Manticore should be a trillion or more, just based on time), poor AI, age extension (not even immortality) took 2000 years, etc. Even the whole Solarian League is just a Kardashev 1.1-1.5 civ.

I get why -- such a story would not have been relatable to readers in 1991 and maybe even now -- but times have changed for me and the HH universe has been feeling stale for a while.

I like the story though (I started reading it about 23 years ago as a teen), which is why I put up with the (from my PoV) silly universe limitations. Did so through worse universes and for worse stories.

MaxxQ wrote:Just kidding. I think this one is fine. Just don't expand on it.

Then it's a lucky thing that, aside from what I've already written, the effort of writing it pretty much maxed out my attention span.

Return to Honorverse