Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Brief Update from David

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Brief Update from David
Post by ericth   » Mon May 08, 2017 3:48 pm

ericth
Commander

munroburton wrote:

The book is at 0%. That 90,000 words is an appendix treatise on the ultimate fate of the ex-SLN SDs. ;)

Or possibly a tech bible on dual use frigates with Treecat Marine crews
Post by robert132   » Mon May 08, 2017 4:23 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

JohnRoth][quote="Duckk wrote:Got a call from David earlier, he is 90,000 words into Uncompromising Honor, which will be the book that wraps up the situation with the Solarian League. He doesn't have time to visit the forums, because if he does, he'll never leave.

Assuming he's aiming at 300,000 words and will cut 100,000 from the first draft to get there, he's at 22% to end of first draft. Then there's his editing time before sending it in, Baen's edits [1] which he will have to deal with and the copyedits which he will also have to deal with. So I'd say 10% to 15% - assuming he's aiming at a camel-choker of a book.

[1] That's what caused a lot of the problems with the last book. There wasn't time for a copy-edit.

I hope he's nothing like me. I can take a story I've written and edit it, then re-edit it , then re-re-edit it, ad infinitum ... and never be done with the fool thing.

Seriously, I'm glad he's doing and (hopefully) feeling better.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Mon May 08, 2017 5:08 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
kzt wrote:Cool. 5% done! :D

Are we really expecting this book to be 1.8 million words?
munroburton wrote:The book is at 0%. That 90,000 words is an appendix treatise on the ultimate fate of the ex-SLN SDs. ;)

Handwavium has an odd shelf life. It has an exponential decay with each publishing in the series 'til final book, wherein a 360,000 word balloon payment becomes due or the remaining stockpile of handwavium is lost forever.

Therefore, Mr. Weber is 25 % complete into using it before losing it.

Seeing as that destroying those hapless SDs require no handwavium, Mr. Weber may have to frivolously find a use for them even if simply to have something on which to spend some of that stockpiled surplus handwavium.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by jtg452   » Mon May 08, 2017 7:02 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Just for clarification, is that 90,000 words of new plot or does it include previous scenes 'from a different point of view'?
Post by Lunan   » Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

jtg452 wrote:Just for clarification, is that 90,000 words of new plot or does it include previous scenes 'from a different point of view'?

i feel like i remeber david saying that he was done with that
Post by AJKohler   » Tue May 09, 2017 8:20 am

AJKohler
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

robert132 wrote:
JohnRoth][quote="Duckk wrote:Got a call from David earlier, he is 90,000 words into Uncompromising Honor, which will be the book that wraps up the situation with the Solarian League. He doesn't have time to visit the forums, because if he does, he'll never leave.

Assuming he's aiming at 300,000 words and will cut 100,000 from the first draft to get there, he's at 22% to end of first draft. Then there's his editing time before sending it in, Baen's edits [1] which he will have to deal with and the copyedits which he will also have to deal with. So I'd say 10% to 15% - assuming he's aiming at a camel-choker of a book.

[1] That's what caused a lot of the problems with the last book. There wasn't time for a copy-edit.

I hope he's nothing like me. I can take a story I've written and edit it, then re-edit it , then re-re-edit it, ad infinitum ... and never be done with the fool thing.

Seriously, I'm glad he's doing and (hopefully) feeling better.

Hell, I still want to re-edit the things I've already had published. It takes a major effort for me to turn aside from the ones that are done, done, done and move on to the next one.
Tony

http://www.repeat-lives.com - Please read Repeat
Vietnam veteran - 187th Assault Helicopter Company, Tay Ninh, RVN 1968 - 1969
Post by tinfoil   » Tue May 09, 2017 1:19 pm

tinfoil

cthia wrote:
Seeing as that destroying those hapless SDs require no handwavium, Mr. Weber may have to frivolously find a use for them even if simply to have something on which to spend some of that stockpiled surplus handwavium.

I am forecasting that they will be used as targets to test out the new longer range energy torpedoes.
Post by phillies   » Tue May 09, 2017 2:00 pm

phillies
Admiral

tinfoil wrote:
cthia wrote:

I am forecasting that they will be used as targets to test out the new longer range energy torpedoes.

Someplace, one line, noting they have all been scrapped.
Post by Cartref   » Tue May 09, 2017 11:19 pm

Cartref

Duckk wrote:Got a call from David earlier, he is 90,000 words into Uncompromising Honor, which will be the book that wraps up the situation with the Solarian League. He doesn't have time to visit the forums, because if he does, he'll never leave.

I am just glad that he is still functional and able to write. Even happy enough that it takes as long as it may, just so long as he can finish it :D :D
Post by cthia   » Wed May 10, 2017 2:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Uncompromising Honor.

Mighty peculiar that the author always seems to win this category. If I didn't know any better I'd say that traditionally, this particular event is always fixed.

But back to Uncompromising Honor...

Can an optimist and an opportunist take this title to mean that Honor lives... that her hull integrity shall not be compromised?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse