Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Barricade... Shadows of Victory tech... skip if unread.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Barricade... Shadows of Victory tech... skip if unread.
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu May 04, 2017 7:16 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--

1. The bunching was during the ballistic phase.
2. Sure. But why would you even try to bunch them then?
--end snips--

Without arguing too much, IIRC, even a full fleet formation is usually within 1 light second of each other for mutual defense, and with the downrange distances involved, the missiles HAVE to be bunched enough that targeting them during a ballistic phase becomes possible. Even at 20mm kilometers, you're a large enough fraction of the distance from Earth to Mars; any kind of great big loops in the missile path(s) by the SLN are relatively unlikely.

That said, I think that more accurately what Barricade would have done is break the signal lock of the SLN ships so that they might as well have been blind fired. I'm thinking back to the triple ripple, etc. that Haven used, by the way. Apollo makes many of those interception strategies moot because of the FTL loop, but Tremaine's ships are not Apollo capable.

That said... the Charles Taylors ARE big enough. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have KH-II and be useful as a control platform. Another plot-hole.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Re: Barricade... Shadows of Victory tech... skip if unread.
Post by kzt   » Thu May 04, 2017 11:10 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

No, that requires something like 250,000 tons of space dedicated to it, and a significant amount of crew. Not something you put on a support vessel.

Return to Honorverse