Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 47 guests

"Shadow of Victory" -- 2016

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
"Shadow of Victory" -- 2016
Post by SPLF   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:01 pm

SPLF
Midshipman

MAJOR typo discovered.

Character named "Michael Breitbach" originally introduced about page 125 and described as an urban planner by profession and whose name is repeated many times is brought up on page 507 as "Mr. Breitbart"!!!!

I was waiting for just such a situation so my question is: "Was it deliberate by the author, deliberate by the editor, by the typesetter (if any) or was this more along the lines of a Freudian slip or just plain accidental?"

I mean, we all know what "Breitbart" is infamous for doing, right?

Also, a character glossary would have helped since far too many are one-time/one-book only yet play parts in this novel. I almost stopped reading it the first hundred pages out of frustration, especially the Slavic stuff.
Re: "Shadow of Victory" -- 2016
Post by Theemile   » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:04 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

SPLF wrote:MAJOR typo discovered.

Character named "Michael Breitbach" originally introduced about page 125 and described as an urban planner by profession and whose name is repeated many times is brought up on page 507 as "Mr. Breitbart"!!!!

I was waiting for just such a situation so my question is: "Was it deliberate by the author, deliberate by the editor, by the typesetter (if any) or was this more along the lines of a Freudian slip or just plain accidental?"

Also, a character glossary would have helped since far too many are one-time/one-book only yet play parts in this novel. I almost stopped reading it the first hundred pages out of frustration, especially the Slavic stuff.

Hi SPLF. SoV is unfortunately the result of the author's slipping schedules and busy personal life (kids, serious health issues, pc issues, etc.) They actually gave it to the printer pretty much on the last day possible with no editing or time for extras. So spelling errors, continuity errors, and Freudian slips abound.

And, unfortunately, the book isn't what many readers thought it would be. The advertising blurb made it sound like a main line, Honor kicking butt, book; while we should have taken a clue from the name and realized it was a Shadows book. (The fact that DW stated that Cauldron of Ghosts was the last side story didn't help either)

So, whatever it is, it is the book we got. David did respond to early readers' criticism about the book, insisting that points in SOV were necessary to set up the last book. While this book's errors probably will not get updated in later versions, I do expect major points to get reconned in the last book if points do not flow with the final story.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Re: "Shadow of Victory" -- 2016
Post by SPLF   » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:28 pm

SPLF
Midshipman

Theemile wrote:
SPLF wrote:MAJOR typo discovered.

Hi SPLF. SoV is unfortunately the result of the author's slipping schedules and busy personal life (kids, serious health issues, pc issues, etc.) They actually gave it to the printer pretty much on the last day possible with no editing or time for extras. So spelling errors, continuity errors, and Freudian slips abound.

And, unfortunately, the book isn't what many readers thought it would be. The advertising blurb made it sound like a main line, Honor kicking butt, book; while we should have taken a clue from the name and realized it was a Shadows book. (The fact that DW stated that Cauldron of Ghosts was the last side story didn't help either)

So, whatever it is, it is the book we got. David did respond to early readers' criticism about the book, insisting that points in SOV were necessary to set up the last book. While this book's errors probably will not get updated in later versions, I do expect major points to get reconned in the last book if points do not flow with the final story.

Threemile, thanks for the reply. I could think of many possible explanations and ordinarily don't comment on fan sites but had some spare time and looked into it. Had to ask.
Have enjoyed the Honor series and the Flint excursion and some of the other side stories. Don't think I've read them all but understand a created universe can be a creature unto itself and eventually seems to have its own sense of direction, given enough time and author-mind. Can't complain about this Honorverse, such as it is.
My curiosity to the subject was purely that, curiosity as anything else. Just head stuff. Given some authors have played internal games as well as multiple levels of meaning both with-in and with-out the story line, always curious when I encounter what I consider might be "flags" of that nature.

Hope DW and his family fare well, rooting for the imagination, compelling thoughts and storytelling.

Return to Honorverse