Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests

Is anyone else affected?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Is anyone else affected?
Post by John Prigent   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Every time Ghost Rider is mentioned in an Honorverse thread I find the Johnny Cash song running through my head (yes, I am old enough to have heard it on the steam radio - many times). Does anyone else suffer the same way?

Cheers, John
Re: Is anyone else affected?
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:17 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

John Prigent wrote:Every time Ghost Rider is mentioned in an Honorverse thread I find the Johnny Cash song running through my head (yes, I am old enough to have heard it on the steam radio - many times). Does anyone else suffer the same way?

Cheers, John

Not me, I'm old enough that the Johnny Cash version is a poor cover of previous versions. I'm particularly partial to the Sons of the Pioneers version.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:13 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Weird Harold wrote:
John Prigent wrote:Every time Ghost Rider is mentioned in an Honorverse thread I find the Johnny Cash song running through my head (yes, I am old enough to have heard it on the steam radio - many times). Does anyone else suffer the same way?

Cheers, John

Not me, I'm old enough that the Johnny Cash version is a poor cover of previous versions. I'm particularly partial to the Sons of the Pioneers version.

Outlaws for me.
Post by robert132   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:15 am

robert132
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:

Cheers, John

I've heard both of these versions but don't ask me to choose. I also like the instrumental version they used in the movie "Ghostrider" with the hoof-beat of Slade's stallion running in time with the music.

Yeah, I'm easy to please in some things.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cheers, John

I am affected, but differently. Guess I've had the Johnny Cash immunization shot. LOL

My baggage hails from a different source. I guess it is how MAlign nanite control works. Every time you hear Ghost Rider you hear a specific Johnny Cash song.

I hear...

"Tower this is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby."
"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."

I guess I'm the product of an updated MAlign nanite. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by robert132   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:19 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
I am affected, but differently. Guess I've had the Johnny Cash immunization shot. LOL

My baggage hails from a different source. I guess it is how MAlign nanite control works. Every time you hear Ghost Rider you hear a specific Johnny Cash song.

I hear...

Now you went and done it cthia, everytime I think of that exchange and therefore "Top Gun" I start to miss having F-14's overhead. I live next to NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach where they were part of the background for so many years.

The last time I sailed in Harm's Way we had F-14B/Ds overhead on CAP. Weren't nothin' getting past them to get to us.

I miss those big birds of prey.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

John reminded me of something that happens to me quite often in various forms. In storyline, when John comes across Ghost Rider he is reminded of a particular Johnny Cash song. I'm reminded of the movie Top Gun. I call this outsourced-baggage. I'm always carrying out-sourced baggage around with me into other medias.

It happens to me again in storyline in a much bigger way. The entire "ex-slaves escaping Mesan persecution and finding a home on Torch" thing, reminds me of the underground railroad here on Earth that led the slaves "Up North."

Torch is the Honorverse equivalent of "Up North."

I guess the ships were the underground railroad.

shrug

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:
cthia wrote:

I hear...

Now you went and done it cthia, everytime I think of that exchange and therefore "Top Gun" I start to miss having F-14's overhead. I live next to NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach where they were part of the background for so many years.

The last time I sailed in Harm's Way we had F-14B/Ds overhead on CAP. Weren't nothin' getting past them to get to us.

I miss those big birds of prey.

I feel your pain. Have an Old Tilman on me.

Since I'm a military brat and also since most of the my 5 brothers and 5 sisters joined the military and since my father had a thing of making me pick a sibling during the summer to visit and take a bit of "home" to them, I'm accustomed to seeing the skies filled with soothing power as well.

Airshows were like movie theaters to a military family in my day.

Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Cheers, John

Blues Brothers version, because i have a good AMV with that one that i´ve heard quite a lot of times.
Post by octavian30   » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:37 pm

octavian30
Ensign

Personally I think the best version of Ghost Rider is by
Die Apokayptichen Reiter

each to their own I guess
although I do like most of the more traditional versions too

Return to Honorverse