Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 115 guests

POTUS says "Theisman should be jailed!"

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
POTUS says "Theisman should be jailed!"
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Why hasn't Thomas Theisman been arrested for murder and treason, treason and murder?

Can the ends be justified by these means?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: POTUS says "Theisman should be jailed!"
Post by DJMacdonald   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:16 am

DJMacdonald
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Why hasn't Thomas Theisman been arrested for murder and treason, treason and murder?

Why if it prosper, none dare call it treason. -John Harrington

-- Duncan
Post by robert132   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:18 am

robert132
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Why hasn't Thomas Theisman been arrested for murder and treason, treason and murder?

Because he won?

I guess so.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by aairfccha   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:47 pm

aairfccha
Commander

You might ask a similar question about people like the fraudster Oskar Schindler (depending where you ask that you just should be prepared to run). Thankfully quite a few people are at least within shouting range of Kohlberg's post-conventional stages and realise there are situations where you have to throw the usual rules out of the window.

Of course being on the winning side helps. If history had worked out differently, the way George Washington and Benedict Arnold are remembered today might be swapped around.
Post by jdtinIA   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:09 pm

jdtinIA
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Maybe for lack of proof?
We ( the readers ) know what happened. How many other people were in the room when TT helped OSJ meet his end?

Besides OSJ WAS reaching for a weapon when he was stopped by TT, maybe TT could get off on a self-defense defense.
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:36 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

jdtinIA wrote:

Maybe for lack of proof?
We ( the readers ) know what happened. How many other people were in the room when TT helped OSJ meet his end?

Besides OSJ WAS reaching for a weapon when he was stopped by TT, maybe TT could get off on a self-defense defense.

Well Theisman had at least two Marine "bodyguards" when he strolled into the room, there was a minimum of one additional Marine that was in the room who stomped his foot as OSJ reached for the pulser and then picked him up. Then there was however many other Marines in the halls, within a distance of no more than 30 feet.

Based on the information in In Enemy Hands & Echoes of Honor, the standard StateSec assault shuttle can carry nearly 100 people easily. We also have quite a bit of informantion on Manticoran pinnaces & assault shuttles, so let's assume RMN and People's Navy shuttles are the same. That means at least 30 battle armored Marines plus Theisman himself were on that particular floor, not counting the other 3 to 5 shuttles (can't actually remember how many impacts OSJ felt), that were also assaulting that particular tower.

So yeah, aside from Tommy himself, and summoning OSJ's ghost, there's somewhere between 3 and 30 "witnesses", mostly Marines; and since it's an "open secret" what Tom did, they clearly talked at least in bars. But they're also going to clam up real fast in any form of official action; and let's be honest... since OSJ was killing them and their families left and right, and TT wasn't, even in all-up Courts-Martial nobody's gonna say a thing that would jail Tom, and take the heat themselves.
Post by shayvaan   » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:06 pm

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Considering that OSJ was planning a major purge of the military Theisman's whole coup d'état could be considered defensive in nature.

While Theisman's actions were treasonous to the Committee, how much loyalty could/should one expect to a government that rules by fear and murder.

As for murder, I imagine that most of the people who would object would be OSJ's fellow murderers in StateSec, almost everyone else would be to relieved that he was finally gone to worry about how (in fact those who had friends/relatives/loved ones who "disappeared" would probably say that he should have suffered more).
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It doesn't matter who else knew. The one person who needed to know... knew. Pritchard.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If someone in the political arena despises Pritchard they may have enough legal precedence to demand Pritchard be removed and Theisman jailed.

Pritchart is the Hereditary President of the People's Republic of Haven.

An application of the slayer rule might easily be applied by some lawyer worth his weight in stolen bearer bonds.

Post by Duckk   » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

...What?

There is no People's Republic of Haven anymore. Pritchart isn't hereditary president. Haven's original constitution is in force, not the one that was amended by the Legislaturists.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope

Return to Honorverse