Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Grayson Classical Music

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Grayson Classical Music
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:44 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Seeing as rfc has stated that Grayson classical music is based on (or derived from) C&W, which bands/artists (1960s to present)signature sounds do the readers think would be what we could expect to hear?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Re: Grayson Classical Music
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:24 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

George J. Smith wrote:Seeing as rfc has stated that Grayson classical music is based on (or derived from) C&W, which bands/artists (1960s to present)signature sounds do the readers think would be what we could expect to hear?

I don't know... 2000 years from now...? Even with perfect recording storage, I'm not sure anything from now would be around at that time, except in archives. My guess is it would be different enough that someone from now transported to Honor's time would be hard-pressed to recognize anything, let alone C&W derivatives.

OTOH, Jesus Christ Superstar is a pretty well-preserved documentary of the musical styles of Biblical Jerusalem, and that's roughly 2000 years ago. ;)

BTW, I can't stand country music.
Post by DJMacdonald   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:05 am

DJMacdonald
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

George J. Smith wrote:Seeing as rfc has stated that Grayson classical music is based on (or derived from) C&W, which bands/artists (1960s to present)signature sounds do the readers think would be what we could expect to hear?

Hank Williams and Patsy Cline.

-- There are two kinds of music in this world: County, and Western.
-- Duncan
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:30 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

This offers a pretty interesting way to think about this kind of question

Which Rock Star Will Historians of the Future Remember?
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:36 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

MaxxQ wrote:

I don't know... 2000 years from now...? Even with perfect recording storage, I'm not sure anything from now would be around at that time, except in archives. My guess is it would be different enough that someone from now transported to Honor's time would be hard-pressed to recognize anything, let alone C&W derivatives.

OTOH, Jesus Christ Superstar is a pretty well-preserved documentary of the musical styles of Biblical Jerusalem, and that's roughly 2000 years ago. ;)

BTW, I can't stand country music.

MaxxQ,

I was thinking more in terms of sound styles rather than actual recordings of the various bands/artists.

Something akin to the harmonies of The Eagles versus the sound of Johnny Cash.

As an aside, I don't like most C&W either.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

We have one example, that I recall, of Grayson Classical:

Ashes of Victory wrote:Chapter Forty-Three
"Bleek!"
Honor looked away from her heads-up display and grinned as Nimitz registered his protest. The 'cat was curled into his own, custom-designed flight couch, mounted beside hers on Jamie Candless' flight deck, and his ears were half-flat as the plaintive strains of one of her flight engineer's favorite songs wafted over the runabout's speakers.

"Mommas, don't let you babies grow up to be spacers . . ."

She listened for a moment, then sent a wave of agreement back to the treecat. Wayne Alexander had settled in quite nicely on Grayson. Better in some ways, in fact, than Honor would ever have anticipated. He seemed fascinated by the tenets of the Church of Humanity Unchained, and she suspected he might well convert to the Grayson faith in the not too distant future.

Not that he didn't retain a goodly number of rough edges. The intractability and stubborn intellectual honesty which had gotten him sent to Hell in the first place were still very much a part of him, and he loved a vigorous debate. That much the Graysons found good, for it was a fundamental part of their natures, too, as they applied the doctrine of the Test to their lives. What drove some of his new neighbors absolutely mad, however, was his ability to argue both sides of any question, often in the same debate, with perfectly good cheer, just to keep things moving in suitably lively fashion.

But one part of Grayson's culture which he'd adopted enthusiastically was its classical music, which was based on something from Old Earth which had once been called "Country and Western." Honor had been rather taken aback by it when she first met it, and it had taken her years to acquire any true taste for it. By now, she was actually quite fond of certain composers, but Alexander's allegiance was given to the Primitive School, and she'd never much cared for the Primitives.

" . . . spacers love smokey old bar rooms and clear crystal vacuum . . ."

"Sorry, Stinker," she told Nimitz under her breath, "but I did tell him he could program the entertainment banks." The 'cat gave her a pained look, and she grinned. "All right. All right! I'll talk to him about it, promise!"

Nimitz sniffed and groomed his whiskers at her, and she chuckled, then turned back to her controls.

The Highwaymen could serve as a model for the "Primitives" but the implication is that more "Modern" C&W is the inspiration for mainstream "Grayson classical"
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I always imagine it to be more of a classical sound to be appropriate for Grayson style posh dress. Old fashioned country hoedowns just don't seem appropriate or possible in the long and elegant style of Grayson gowns.

A Grayson woman wouldn't be caught dead wearing slacks let alone blue jeans which are needed to enjoy our brand of C&W. I thought the time Elizabeth wore slacks was going to cause many a death by another domino effect caused by a sudden string of apoplectic fits.

Classical music is a much more sophisticated music enjoyed by the soul and not the feet. IMHO.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:35 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Classical music is a much more sophisticated music enjoyed by the soul and not the feet. IMHO.

You don't understand enough history. The way we treat what is now called classical music is just how we treat it TODAY. It was not always this way.

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/22/141617637 ... -rock-star

"When you think of rock n' roll, Franz Liszt might not be the first name that comes to mind. But the classical pianist, born 200 years ago today, was in many ways the first rock star of all time.

"In the mid-19th century, Liszt was tearing up the polite salons and concert halls of Europe with his virtuoso performances. Women would literally attack him: tear bits of his clothing, fight over broken piano strings and locks of his shoulder-length hair. Europe had never seen anything like it. It was a phenomenon the great German poet Heinrich Heine dubbed "Lisztomania.""
Post by Annachie   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

https://youtu.be/t9JQkxu_ofE

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
cthia wrote:Classical music is a much more sophisticated music enjoyed by the soul and not the feet. IMHO.

You don't understand enough history. The way we treat what is now called classical music is just how we treat it TODAY. It was not always this way.

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/22/141617637 ... -rock-star

"When you think of rock n' roll, Franz Liszt might not be the first name that comes to mind. But the classical pianist, born 200 years ago today, was in many ways the first rock star of all time.

"In the mid-19th century, Liszt was tearing up the polite salons and concert halls of Europe with his virtuoso performances. Women would literally attack him: tear bits of his clothing, fight over broken piano strings and locks of his shoulder-length hair. Europe had never seen anything like it. It was a phenomenon the great German poet Heinrich Heine dubbed "Lisztomania.""

Just about all of the major concert halls I've attended feature an exhaustive look at the history of classical music replete with video in an atrium type setting. Carnegie Hall in New York does and certainly the Teatro Dal Verme in Milan. Several in England. And ALL of them in Vienna. If you like classical music and frequent a classical theatre you cannot remain oblivious to the history.

Now, project that imagery and behavior onto a Grayson woman in a Grayson gown. Personally, I just can't see it.

But I could most certainly be wrong about the feeling I get from storyline, which has more to do with the Grayson's women than the Grayson's music.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse