Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Favorite Moments So Far?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Favorite Moments So Far?
Post by pnakasone   » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:15 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

Chapter 13 A Rising Thunder

Sorrow Singer
<The People know how to deal with those who would slay us,> her implacable fingers said with iron determination. <We know how to deal with those who would slay those we love. Do not forget how Death Fang’s Bane and Climbs Quickly first met. They fought, and they bled, and each almost died for the other. Now it is our turn, and we wish you to go to Soul of Steel and Truth Seeker. Tell them the People—all the People of this entire world—know who would protect them and who would slay them. We know how you and your clan have always loved and protected and shielded us from harm, Dances on Clouds. But the time has come for that to change, and we do not choose to be kittens forever. If you would guard us, then we will guard you, and if we die as Far Climber did, as Climbs Quickly almost did, as Laughs Brightly has almost died for you and you for him, then we will die. But we will not hide. We will not be children. If you will fight for all this world, for all of us, then we will fight for you.>
Post by robert132   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:54 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

pnakasone wrote:Chapter 13 A Rising Thunder

Sorrow Singer
<The People know how to deal with those who would slay us,> her implacable fingers said with iron determination. <We know how to deal with those who would slay those we love. Do not forget how Death Fang’s Bane and Climbs Quickly first met. They fought, and they bled, and each almost died for the other. Now it is our turn, and we wish you to go to Soul of Steel and Truth Seeker. Tell them the People—all the People of this entire world—know who would protect them and who would slay them. We know how you and your clan have always loved and protected and shielded us from harm, Dances on Clouds. But the time has come for that to change, and we do not choose to be kittens forever. If you would guard us, then we will guard you, and if we die as Far Climber did, as Climbs Quickly almost did, as Laughs Brightly has almost died for you and you for him, then we will die. But we will not hide. We will not be children. If you will fight for all this world, for all of us, then we will fight for you.>

Boom. (Mic drop)

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:
pnakasone wrote:Chapter 13 A Rising Thunder

Sorrow Singer

Boom. (Mic drop)

OUCH! Damn mic is HOT!

This is a Hall of Fame moment, sharing the spotlight with "Oops!"

It also shows the complexity in treecat thinking. Rivals many a human I've met. Which correlates with my thinking that treecats would have no problem assimilating human technology if they put their minds to it.

Nice moment, pnakasone and a befitting sentiment, Robert.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cracks me up every time...
Mission of Honor Ch. 25 wrote:"At any rate, Madam President, it would appear that just over three T-weeks ago, one of our destroyers, HMS Reprise, returned to the Spindle System from Meyers with what I suppose could be called interesting news. It would appear that notwithstanding all of the historical evidence to the contrary, it really is genuinely possible for a Solarian ship of the wall to make it all the way out into the Verge under its own power. In fact—"

Honor didn't mention anything about how much duct tape, WD-40 and K-Y Jelly the trip would cost 'em! LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by robert132   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:19 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Cracks me up every time...
Mission of Honor Ch. 25 wrote:"At any rate, Madam President, it would appear that just over three T-weeks ago, one of our destroyers, HMS Reprise, returned to the Spindle System from Meyers with what I suppose could be called interesting news. It would appear that notwithstanding all of the historical evidence to the contrary, it really is genuinely possible for a Solarian ship of the wall to make it all the way out into the Verge under its own power. In fact—"

Honor didn't mention anything about how much duct tape, WD-40 and K-Y Jelly the trip would cost 'em! LOL

Nor did she mention if any of those SLN SDs had the deep space equivalent of today's ocean going tugs in company.

The real world equivalent would be the Russian CV Admiral Kuznetsov which, according to USN and British RN reports frequently had one in company anytime he sailed from his home port because his engineering plant not only is a "one-off" but also never received nearly as much maintenance time or materials and his Engineering Department personnel never got all the underway training they needed.

Apparently things actually got a bit better for the ship during the late Syrian combat deployment. Witness the near smokescreen amounts of stack smoke seen during the southbound Channel transit. Much of that was probably a result of ham-handed inexperienced boiler / fireroom personnel as poor maintenance.

Experience IS the best teacher at sea. During the return transit his stack emissions were much less pronounced indicating a much better fuel/air mix, hotter fires and perhaps better burner maintenance with nary a tug in sight. ;) (My last ship was an oil fired steamer with LOTS of mileage on the plant ... I picked up a few bits of information in the First Class PO Mess.)

A pity Filareta and Crandal didn't get a chance to document any improvement in crew and ship performance due to the experience gained during their long cruises.

Post by kzt   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:30 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:The real world equivalent would be the Russian CV Admiral Kuznetsov which, according to USN and British RN reports frequently had one in company anytime he sailed from his home port because his engineering plant not only is a "one-off" but also never received nearly as much maintenance time or materials and his Engineering Department personnel never got all the underway training they needed.

No, it's the Little Crappy Ship.

They have commissioned, what 8 of them? Three need new engines. Two need extensive engineering repairs. I think maybe one is mission capable. Though as it doesn't actually have a mission module and is both super fragile, defenseless and has no offensive capability beyond a 57mm gun it's kind of unclear what mission it is capable of. Well, other than taking the entire House Armed Service Committee water skiing at once.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:

The real world equivalent would be the Russian CV Admiral Kuznetsov which, according to USN and British RN reports frequently had one in company anytime he sailed from his home port because his engineering plant not only is a "one-off" but also never received nearly as much maintenance time or materials and his Engineering Department personnel never got all the underway training they needed.

Apparently things actually got a bit better for the ship during the late Syrian combat deployment. Witness the near smokescreen amounts of stack smoke seen during the southbound Channel transit. Much of that was probably a result of ham-handed inexperienced boiler / fireroom personnel as poor maintenance.
At least Admiral Kuznetsov's power plant isn't as perverse as the Kirov class's is reported to be. It's known that they combine a nuclear reactor with conventional boilers, but it's (AFAIK) not 100% confirmed that the boilers act only to superheat the steam generated by the nuclear plant. That would provide more efficiency, but unless he's got a second set of saturated steam turbines for cruising it means that he's unable to steam unless both the nuclear plant and boilers are online (turbines designed for superheated 'dry' steam are very unhappy to be fed the 'wet' saturated steam that a nuke can produce unaided)

So your propulsion has more points of failure and you can't take advantage of the nuke to steam w/o fossil fuel consumption when just cruising between stations.
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

They were never supposed to work, they are supposed to intimidate and frighten. LOL

Like the SLN.

Post by robert132   » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:58 am

robert132
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
robert132 wrote:The real world equivalent would be the Russian CV Admiral Kuznetsov which, according to USN and British RN reports frequently had one in company anytime he sailed from his home port because his engineering plant not only is a "one-off" but also never received nearly as much maintenance time or materials and his Engineering Department personnel never got all the underway training they needed.

No, it's the Little Crappy Ship.

They have commissioned, what 8 of them? Three need new engines. Two need extensive engineering repairs. I think maybe one is mission capable. Though as it doesn't actually have a mission module and is both super fragile, defenseless and has no offensive capability beyond a 57mm gun it's kind of unclear what mission it is capable of. Well, other than taking the entire House Armed Service Committee water skiing at once.

No argument from me on that bro. I wouldn't care to take any of those OR the Zumwalt to sea myself. You've hit on the reason.

Post by robert132   » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:01 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:
robert132 wrote:

At least Admiral Kuznetsov's power plant isn't as perverse as the Kirov class's is reported to be. It's known that they combine a nuclear reactor with conventional boilers, but it's (AFAIK) not 100% confirmed that the boilers act only to superheat the steam generated by the nuclear plant. That would provide more efficiency, but unless he's got a second set of saturated steam turbines for cruising it means that he's unable to steam unless both the nuclear plant and boilers are online (turbines designed for superheated 'dry' steam are very unhappy to be fed the 'wet' saturated steam that a nuke can produce unaided)

So your propulsion has more points of failure and you can't take advantage of the nuke to steam w/o fossil fuel consumption when just cruising between stations.

Very true. KISS principal should be applied BEFORE these things are let off the drawing board / CADD. Modern steam plants (which include those "fired" by nuclear reactors) are complex enough without adding to the mix.

Give me a nice simple gas turbine plant any day. :D

Return to Honorverse