Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

Favorite Moments So Far?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Favorite Moments So Far?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:58 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

kenl511 wrote:Honor's capture of [i]Vaubon[i] in HAE. "I don't know what you're doing or why, but thank you. I feel bad about demanding your surrender now."

Ahem, this is what she said:

"I appreciate your assistance, and I wish I could offer you the reward your gallantry deserves, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to ask you to surrender."
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Festival   » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

roseandheather wrote:
kzt wrote:"Good-bye, Citizen Chairman."

The second-greatest moment in the series for me, bar none. I'm pretty sure I screamed aloud.

(The greatest, of course, is the following:

"'I apologize for waking you up in the middle of the night, Your Majesty,' President Eloise Pritchart said calmly, 'but I think we need to talk.'"

....needless to say, at that moment, I did scream aloud. :mrgreen: )

Mine's part of the same development, and it's a one-liner:

"Ma'am...it's Haven One."

Goosebumps just typing it...
Post by kenl511   » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:04 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

To me, Ginny's greatest moment.
Stein Funeral.

"You guys make me sick."
Post by phillies   » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:14 pm

phillies
Admiral

I can't imagine why, but I hope that you can run very, very quickly.

Daryl wrote:Couldn't imagine anyone on here being interested in anything to do with Eloise Pritchart?

"It occurs to me that if _House of Lies_ includes a story then Eloise Pritchart would be a possible protagonist with much of it set before her first appearance in _Honor Among Enemies_."
Post by phillies   » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:18 pm

phillies
Admiral

Someplace there is the person who beat Abigail Hearns' class standing in tactics.
Post by pushmar   » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:40 am

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

From FoD:

"It was odd, a corner of her brain thought. She'd heard so many tales about the way love could save one's sanity; no one had ever told her hate could do the same."

also:

She felt . . . empty. Emptier than the wind or space itself, sucked clean by the silent undertow of entropy.
Post by Rincewind   » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

I know it's not part of the main book stream but here goes:
The scene from A Call to Arms Chapter 2 where Prince Edward has to attend a meeting with his father, Cazenestro & Chancellor Breakwater (amongst others) & he gets progressively more & more worked up about Breakwater's attempt to get some corvettes from the RMN & afterwards trots out a long list of arguments why it is not a good idea to just hand the ships over.
Then:
“Good points, all.” Michael leaned forward slightly, his expression more intent. “My turn now. We’ll skip the dramatic build-up and go straight to big one. Namely, Countess Calvingdell and First Lord Cazenestro want to give those corvettes away.”
Edward felt his jaw drop. “They what?”
“No, you heard correctly,” Michael said......
.........“They want to just give them to Breakwater?”
“So they’ve told me,” Michael said. “And before you start wondering about their sanity, understand that no one’s making a spur-of-the-moment decision here. Breakwater may have thought he was blindsiding us with this proposal, but there’ve been hints coming out of the Exchequer’s office for a couple of weeks now. Calvingdell and Cazenestro have had plenty of time to think this through.”
“All right,” Edward said slowly. “But if everyone’s agreed, why are we fighting about it? If Calvingdell and Cazenestro want to give him the corvettes, why did we even have this meeting?”
“Because it’s never a bad idea to let Breakwater think he’s won a battle,” Michael said; a grim twinkle in his eye. “It’s an even better idea to make him think he owes the Navy a favour that can be called in somewhere down the line.”

SNEAKY11!
Post by Hutch   » Mon May 01, 2017 7:03 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Besides the dozens already mentioned, my additions can be summed up with one quote each:

1. "We're home, System Command," she said. "It took us a while, but we're home."

2. And then there was no more room for thought. Not coherent ones, anyway. She was fifty-four T-years old, and that didn't matter at all as she stepped away from Benjamin Mayhew, holding out her arm to her mother through her blinding haze of tears.

"Momma?" she half-whispered, her soprano hoarse, and she tasted salt on her lips as her parents came towards her. "Daddy? I—"

3. Sneer and be damned!

4. “Why is it that people like you always think you’re more ruthless than people like me?”

5. "There will be," Terekhov said, with the certitude of God's own prophet. "And when it arrives, my people will be alive to see it."
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Tue May 02, 2017 1:08 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

The opening of Field of Dishonor when they re-watch the battle of Hancock in the Holo - Tank from Sarnow's and Honor's perspective.
Post by lyonheart   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:00 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hutch,

Good to see your posts again. :D

I like all of your additions and the many cited already, but Terekhov's or #4 is still one of the series or RFC's all time best one liners IMHO.

Reminds me of some famous quote:

"never try to cheat an honest man, son. He'll kill you the first chance he gets." [which may not be as soon he finds out]

There was a western with something like this, but the quote is older.

All the very best,

L

Hutch wrote:Besides the dozens already mentioned, my additions can be summed up with one quote each:

1. "We're home, System Command," she said. "It took us a while, but we're home."

2. And then there was no more room for thought. Not coherent ones, anyway. She was fifty-four T-years old, and that didn't matter at all as she stepped away from Benjamin Mayhew, holding out her arm to her mother through her blinding haze of tears.

"Momma?" she half-whispered, her soprano hoarse, and she tasted salt on her lips as her parents came towards her. "Daddy? I—"

3. Sneer and be damned!

4. “Why is it that people like you always think you’re more ruthless than people like me?”

5. "There will be," Terekhov said, with the certitude of God's own prophet. "And when it arrives, my people will be alive to see it."
Last edited by lyonheart on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse