Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 49 guests

Housekeeping for Honor...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Housekeeping for Honor...
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:43 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

I recently found "HMS War Maiden" on my kindle and after reading this short story (again) I recalled that there is at least one more short story involving Honor's career prior to Basilisk Station. In the one I am thinking of she and Nimitz find a ski lift car that was buried in an avalanche.
(I don't recall the name of that one or any others that may have gotten tangled up in my memories, however)
It might be useful to bring all these together, in chronological order of her career in one volume, maybe call it Command Track and release it and identify it as the prequel to the Honor Harrington series before the final book in this series is released.

Also, I remember the story where her great, great, great ancestor made first contact but, can anyone point me to the event when Honor met Nimitz?

In the event that this prequel might not be done, I would be grateful for the names of the other story(s) that relate to her years prior to her first "official" command.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Re: Housekeeping for Honor...
Post by Vince   » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:I recently found "HMS War Maiden" on my kindle and after reading this short story (again) I recalled that there is at least one more short story involving Honor's career prior to Basilisk Station. In the one I am thinking of she and Nimitz find a ski lift car that was buried in an avalanche.
(I don't recall the name of that one or any others that may have gotten tangled up in my memories, however)
It might be useful to bring all these together, in chronological order of her career in one volume, maybe call it Command Track and release it and identify it as the prequel to the Honor Harrington series before the final book in this series is released.

Also, I remember the story where her great, great, great ancestor made first contact but, can anyone point me to the event when Honor met Nimitz?

In the event that this prequel might not be done, I would be grateful for the names of the other story(s) that relate to her years prior to her first "official" command.

Honor met Nimitz in Best Laid Plans in the Beginnings anthology (before she went to Saganami Island).

Nimitz and Honor rescued Susan Hibson from the Attica avalanche in The Hard Way Home in the Worlds of Honor anthology (when Honor was XO of HMS Broadsword).

Honor commanded Hawkwing (with the rank of Commander) in Lets Dance in the In Fire Forged anthology (where she went up against Mesan slavers, or at least their local flunkies in Silesia).
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by noblehunter   » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:48 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

I've fallen way behind on the short stories but I like the idea of themed e-book collections. Honor is an obvious choice but I think there's enough for a Grayson book or a Cachat/Zilwicki one.

Though the spread of authors might make wrangling the reprint rights of rather difficult. Not to mention RFC and/o any colleagues likely to run such a project are a bit busy at the moment.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:41 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Thank you Vince,
I know that I have read each of these stories (over the years)though some were hard copy from my local library. With your information, I will search through my Kindle files to see which of them I have.

The quote in your signature block is very like one I happened th have heard yesterday which I thought I liked as I heard it, and am sure I do as I read it.
“History doesn’t repeat itself but it often rhymes,” Mark Twain

Thank you arain.

Vince wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:I recently found "HMS War Maiden" on my kindle and after reading this short story (again) I recalled that there is at least one more short story involving Honor's career prior to Basilisk Station. In the one I am thinking of she and Nimitz find a ski lift car that was buried in an avalanche.

Honor met Nimitz in Best Laid Plans in the Beginnings anthology (before she went to Saganami Island).

Nimitz and Honor rescued Susan Hibson from the Attica avalanche in The Hard Way Home in the Worlds of Honor anthology (when Honor was XO of HMS Broadsword).

Honor commanded Hawkwing (with the rank of Commander) in Lets Dance in the In Fire Forged anthology (where she went up against Mesan slavers, or at least their local flunkies in Silesia).
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by WLBjork   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:41 pm

WLBjork
Commander

noblehunter wrote:I've fallen way behind on the short stories but I like the idea of themed e-book collections. Honor is an obvious choice but I think there's enough for a Grayson book or a Cachat/Zilwicki one.

Though the spread of authors might make wrangling the reprint rights of rather difficult. Not to mention RFC and/o any colleagues likely to run such a project are a bit busy at the moment.

Better still, a chronologically ordered e-book* combined volume with *every* story in there.

*Could be done in hard copy, but in multiple volumes.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

WLBjork wrote:
noblehunter wrote:I've fallen way behind on the short stories but I like the idea of themed e-book collections. Honor is an obvious choice but I think there's enough for a Grayson book or a Cachat/Zilwicki one.

Better still, a chronologically ordered e-book* combined volume with *every* story in there.

*Could be done in hard copy, but in multiple volumes.

I would also prefer a "cannon" chronological omnibus.

Let's face it, stories like "Let's go to Prague", despite their enjoyability, don't feel very Honorverse like. Many of the guest writer stories in the anthologies feel like generic Sci-Fi, hastily modified with Honorverse names scratched in. Heck, "Let's go to Prague" could just as easily have been set in WWII.

So an Authorial Fiat on what is actually cannon would be nice - Just so we know how to handle "Charles", if nothing else.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Yes, there are a limited number of stories written by people other then Weber that feel right. Stirling's, Flint and Lindskold's are the ones that come to mind.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:19 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

You have identified several other authors who have contributed with David but... I don't recall Stirling or Flint writhing a story about Honor Harrington (my memory is not perfect)I recall John Ringo writing a story in Honorverse but, again not about Honor...

My thought is to have the entire story line from when she met Nimitz till the final battle is over.
I also recall reading a comment that David posted about the next generation coming more into the story line, so I am now wondering if he intends to "kill" Honor off or simply lets her retire <with perhaps a cure for her inability to re-gen for her and Emily Alexander> to live happily ever after with Hamish.

Hmmm

kzt wrote:Yes, there are a limited number of stories written by people other then Weber that feel right. Stirling's, Flint and Lindskold's are the ones that come to mind.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by ccchuck   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:35 pm

ccchuck
Ensign

"so I am now wondering if he intends to "kill" Honor off or simply lets her retire..."

Alexander Kent did kill his hero - but warned us from almost the beginning.

C S Forester's Hornblower made it into retirement (where, if memory serves, he met Napoleon III?)..

While the loss of Honor would make "great sweet sorrow", it also slightly smells a bit of "been there drama" -
I think she, and us, deserve better.
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

ccchuck wrote:"so I am now wondering if he intends to "kill" Honor off or simply lets her retire..."

Alexander Kent did kill his hero - but warned us from almost the beginning.

C S Forester's Hornblower made it into retirement (where, if memory serves, he met Napoleon III?)..

While the loss of Honor would make "great sweet sorrow", it also slightly smells a bit of "been there drama" -
I think she, and us, deserve better.

I seriously doubt that he's going to kill Honor off. Since the next book is supposed to be the last one, it would be kind of pointless. She's most likely going to continue in her multiple roles of Steadholder, Duchess, senior Admiral and advisor to the Queen. Filaretta's Folly was probably her last major battle unless the SL decides to do something even more stupid than usual; she's simply too senior.

Return to Honorverse