Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 68 guests

Honorverse Sensor Capability

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Sensor Capability
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:43 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

kzt wrote:
pnakasone wrote:IIRC they have said the weak link is the person monitoring the sensors not the sensors themselves. How well trained, experienced,and/or alert are they?

That's a BS plot excuse.

Computers don't get bored or go the the bathroom. All of this would be run by expert systems that know exactly what to look for and have literally hundreds of years of developement.

It's also one of many, many symptoms that the universe was developed in the early 90s rather than today. Yes, that's true of a modern expert system.

It most certainly isn't true of the technology of 1990.
Post by Daryl   » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:47 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I agree John. The remarkable thing is just how well it still hangs together overall now, not the few exceptions like this. I have noticed subtle changes, like in the earliest books planets risked nuclear bombardment from space, but in the later ones it switched to kinetic projectiles.
Post by pnakasone   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:04 am

pnakasone
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:I agree John. The remarkable thing is just how well it still hangs together overall now, not the few exceptions like this. I have noticed subtle changes, like in the earliest books planets risked nuclear bombardment from space, but in the later ones it switched to kinetic projectiles.

Considering how long the series has been running such problems are inevitable.
Post by phillies   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:47 am

phillies
Admiral

Ummh, not quite. The signal fades as 1/r^2 on the way out, and another 1/r^2 on the way back, so that radar fades as 1/r^4. My source is the seminar by Shapiro (iirc, been nearly 50 years), the fellow who did the first radar tracking (earth-based mapping was a bit later) of the planet Venus.

kzt wrote:Yes, grav sensors are passive only. Active sectors are impacted by the inverse square law, so to spot a target at 10x range requires 100x emitted power. This becomes absurd fairly fast. However you can detect the emitter at vastly longer range than the emitter can detect returns from its active sensors. David has said that effective active sensors can detect missiles at a few million km.

Basically the way in the real world you spot objects with a power plant at many millions of km is by their thermal emissions. The background temp of the universe is a few degrees above absolute zero, so an object that is warm enough for people is hundreds of degrees above background and a running high energy power source is thousands of degees above background. These are not hard to spot at 10s of million of km range. For reasons of story David says they don't do this.

But this is a decent discussion of the real world:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/r ... detect.php
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:38 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:It's also one of many, many symptoms that the universe was developed in the early 90s rather than today. Yes, that's true of a modern expert system.

I can buy that.
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:41 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Ummh, not quite. The signal fades as 1/r^2 on the way out, and another 1/r^2 on the way back, so that radar fades as 1/r^4. My source is the seminar by Shapiro (iirc, been nearly 50 years), the fellow who did the first radar tracking (earth-based mapping was a bit later) of the planet Venus.

That's probably right, so 10,000 times the radiated power for a 10x range increase.

Detection range of a radar source would be inverse square.
Post by Louis R   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:11 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

all those numbers depend on how good your beam-forming is.

1/r^2 is only exact for an isotropic radiator or one where the beam diverges as if coming from one. [for the layman, a spherically symmetric source assimilable to a point]

kzt wrote:
phillies wrote:Ummh, not quite. The signal fades as 1/r^2 on the way out, and another 1/r^2 on the way back, so that radar fades as 1/r^4. My source is the seminar by Shapiro (iirc, been nearly 50 years), the fellow who did the first radar tracking (earth-based mapping was a bit later) of the planet Venus.

That's probably right, so 10,000 times the radiated power for a 10x range increase.

Detection range of a radar source would be inverse square.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Louis R wrote:all those numbers depend on how good your beam-forming is.

1/r^2 is only exact for an isotropic radiator or one where the beam diverges as if coming from one. [for the layman, a spherically symmetric source assimilable to a point]

As a non-expert I would guess that the return echo off the target would tend to follow 1/r^2 pretty closely - but maybe you can beat that by a handy margin on the outbound leg if you can focus into a tighter beam.
Post by WLBjork   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:35 pm

WLBjork
Commander

JohnRoth wrote:
kzt wrote:That's a BS plot excuse.

Computers don't get bored or go the the bathroom. All of this would be run by expert systems that know exactly what to look for and have literally hundreds of years of developement.

It's also one of many, many symptoms that the universe was developed in the early 90s rather than today. Yes, that's true of a modern expert system.

One thing that is still true is that any computer system is only as good as it's programming (as Tesla found out relatively recently).

In fact, I'm now wondering if maybe the lack of some analyses to run automatically is as a way of preventing laziness and accepting "computer says..." at face value.
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:51 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

WLBjork wrote:One thing that is still true is that any computer system is only as good as it's programming (as Tesla found out relatively recently).

In fact, I'm now wondering if maybe the lack of some analyses to run automatically is as a way of preventing laziness and accepting "computer says..." at face value.

You have had literally hundreds of years and millions of ship/years to work on this. Obvious things like fusing the passive IR scanners and ESM systems your ships all have into their long range detection and tracking displays are just not going to get missed.

Return to Honorverse