Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 152 guests

An open apeal to David Weber-Kickstart the Honorverse movie

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: An open apeal to David Weber-Kickstart the Honorverse mo
Post by vernonlvincent   » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:15 am

vernonlvincent
Ensign

One can have reasonably differing opinions on the personal qualities of the Axanar production staff, but there's no denying that they hit upon the fact that people would like quality science fiction and are willing to pay to support such endeavors.

For myself - I believe any Honorverse production would be better served in an episodic format ala Game of Thrones or The Expanse rather than a full length movie. That format afford far more opportunities for world building and establishing the continuity of the universe.

I'd even be willing to suggest it could be done with animation, provided of course that the quality is very good.
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

vernonlvincent wrote:One can have reasonably differing opinions on the personal qualities of the Axanar production staff, but there's no denying that they hit upon the fact that people would like quality science fiction and are willing to pay to support such endeavors.

For myself - I believe any Honorverse production would be better served in an episodic format ala Game of Thrones or The Expanse rather than a full length movie. That format afford far more opportunities for world building and establishing the continuity of the universe.

I'd even be willing to suggest it could be done with animation, provided of course that the quality is very good.

interesting and given the length of a RFC book it is definitely something to think about.

as "the expanse" has been so well received then i would have expected to hear news about other similar properties (like Honor) being snapped up but only other thing vaguely SF that i'm hearing about is westworld.
Post by robert132   » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:34 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Dauntless wrote:One can have reasonably differing opinions on the personal qualities of the Axanar production staff, but there's no denying that they hit upon the fact that people would like quality science fiction and are willing to pay to support such endeavors.

interesting and given the length of a RFC book it is definitely something to think about.

as "the expanse" has been so well received then i would have expected to hear news about other similar properties (like Honor) being snapped up but only other thing vaguely SF that i'm hearing about is westworld.

I think you guys may have hit the mark, an episodic adventure ala Game of Thrones, but to keep production costs (ie sets and special effects) at a minimum a state of the art animation could be the best bet at this point.

What say you?

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by vernonlvincent   » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:18 pm

vernonlvincent
Ensign

I think you guys may have hit the mark, an episodic adventure ala Game of Thrones, but to keep production costs (ie sets and special effects) at a minimum a state of the art animation could be the best bet at this point.

What say you?

Animation would definitely keep some costs down, although even live action could be done economically provided that there was planning. Joe Straczynski and Babylon 5 created the template for this concept in terms of planning ahead for what you would need for each episode and folding some costs into earlier episodes. And they were the real pioneers for using VFX.

For something like this - I'd love to see it as a Netflix Original for the widest possible distribution. The only question is whether or not they would be able to commit to seeing the entire series (or some self-contained fraction thereof) through.
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

vernonlvincent wrote:I'd even be willing to suggest it could be done with animation, provided of course that the quality is very good.

I've mentioned before that an animated series might be better. Take a look at anime movies such as:

Vexille https://youtu.be/Bpm8X4XR19Q

Appleseed https://youtu.be/KeFqq9t4icQ

Appleseed Ex Machina https://youtu.be/ijVo1pxtJZM

Forget about how realistic the situations are, and just look at the quality of the animation. This is stuff from over ten years ago, and I imagine the quality has improved somewhat since then.

These are examples of cel-shaded CGI animation. Of course, if anyone picks up the licensing and decides to go this route, they could always just go full-bore CGI. It would solve trying to find someone to play Honor, as they would just need a decent voice actress.
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:25 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

full bore CGI? intresting.

as you say it solves a lot of issues with cast age, also if it looks like it is going to be long running as it hopefully would it would also fix any issues with cast members ageing out or injury during action sequence.

would also open up options to cover more of honor's back story. even using prolong excuse it was always going to be tricky to have same actress used for ms midsipwoman harrington when honor is described as looking barely a teenager and then use same actress for the rest of her stories the next one chronologically is her XO stint during the Gryphon avalance. that will have taken at least 20 years given slow pace of promotion in peactime RMN.
Post by vernonlvincent   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:26 am

vernonlvincent
Ensign

MaxxQ wrote:I've mentioned before that an animated series might be better. Take a look at anime movies such as:

Vexille https://youtu.be/Bpm8X4XR19Q

Appleseed https://youtu.be/KeFqq9t4icQ

Appleseed Ex Machina https://youtu.be/ijVo1pxtJZM

Forget about how realistic the situations are, and just look at the quality of the animation. This is stuff from over ten years ago, and I imagine the quality has improved somewhat since then.

These are examples of cel-shaded CGI animation. Of course, if anyone picks up the licensing and decides to go this route, they could always just go full-bore CGI. It would solve trying to find someone to play Honor, as they would just need a decent voice actress.

I enjoy the stories of anime, but there's something about the style that makes it harder for me to enjoy the imagery. I was thinking something along the lines of Pixar-level quality. The closest I can come to it is Big Hero 6 - realistic human animation in a 3D rendered environment.

But regardless of the technology or style used, we can agree that animation done right would be a viable medium for Honorverse stories.
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

vernonlvincent wrote:I enjoy the stories of anime, but there's something about the style that makes it harder for me to enjoy the imagery. I was thinking something along the lines of Pixar-level quality. The closest I can come to it is Big Hero 6 - realistic human animation in a 3D rendered environment.

But regardless of the technology or style used, we can agree that animation done right would be a viable medium for Honorverse stories.

Well then, there's always Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within for a more realism-based look:

https://youtu.be/qUXVOfdGE4o

And this film is from 2001.
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:18 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Dauntless wrote:full bore CGI? intresting.

as you say it solves a lot of issues with cast age, also if it looks like it is going to be long running as it hopefully would it would also fix any issues with cast members ageing out or injury during action sequence.

would also open up options to cover more of honor's back story. even using prolong excuse it was always going to be tricky to have same actress used for ms midsipwoman harrington when honor is described as looking barely a teenager and then use same actress for the rest of her stories the next one chronologically is her XO stint during the Gryphon avalance. that will have taken at least 20 years given slow pace of promotion in peactime RMN.

Yeah. I like the stylistic look of the films I mentioned in my first post, but I'm not averse to going with realistic CGI (as mentioned in my second post) to do the Honorverse justice. Either way, I really do think it would be the best option for an Honorverse film or series.
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

either style could work though i admit i'd favour a more pixar /final fantasy style personally.

still it really does open things up for casting, just need the right voice. and that has to be easier to find that a 6 foot woman of asian extraction.

Return to Honorverse