Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 154 guests

THE C R U S H E R

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: THE C R U S H E R
Post by munroburton   » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:56 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Annachie wrote:Also, from memory, between Honor's time as a first former and well lets say now the accadamy intake has gone up a lot.
There may have been only one tactics teacher in her day.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I looked it up in AoV. 241 in Honor's graduating class. When she became commandant, the Island had just graduated 8,500+ and was taking in 11,000.

Total student body probably went from 1,000 to 25-30,000.
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
Annachie wrote:Also, from memory, between Honor's time as a first former and well lets say now the accadamy intake has gone up a lot.
There may have been only one tactics teacher in her day.

I looked it up in AoV. 241 in Honor's graduating class. When she became commandant, the Island had just graduated 8,500+ and was taking in 11,000.

Total student body probably went from 1,000 to 25-30,000.

That enrollment figure could certainly have been handled by one instructor, certainly not the latter.

She's a sharp stylus that Annachie. No Young or Santino blood is to be found in her genealogy.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:27 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

241 students is a big load for an instructor in an advanced course. Even if you are doing 6 classes a day, that's 6 classes of 40. You don't get a huge amount on interaction in a 1 hour class of 40. Typically these sorts of classes are done by multiple instructors running many smaller sessions if the topic is considered critical.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:54 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Or one massive class for lectures and smaller tutorial type classes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't think so either, with the one on one intimate type instruction needed to retain the RMN's title as Top Guns.

But it is doable, in some form or another. Certainly not the latter, whose numbers I expected from even Honor's class. After all it is an "Academy." Our own numbers are around 4-5000.

Late Edit: Of that 4-5000, only heaven knows how many are in their equivalent of Advanced Instruction.

But during Honor's time of graduation was peace time. First volley or the gauntlet had not yet been thrown.

Last edited by cthia on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:55 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Or one massive class for lectures and smaller tutorial type classes.

A system supported by texev. Honor's Tactics 101 was a lecture class held in the big Simulator/Auditorium.

Exact capacity isn't mentioned, that I recall, but given the student population when Honor was an instructor and the "crush" to get into her class, I'd guess somewhere between several hundred to a couple thousand seats in the lecture hall. Honor would have been one of 10 or 20 instructors for Tactics 101, and probably only one or two classes meeting two days a week. (The other instructors probably have Three or four sessions a day for six to eight classes per week, or teach other tactics courses, too.)

Honor had rehab and the ATC to reorganize so she wouldn't have carried a full schedule as a Tactics 101 instructor.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Annachie wrote:Or one massive class for lectures and smaller tutorial type classes.

A system supported by texev. Honor's Tactics 101 was a lecture class held in the big Simulator/Auditorium.*

Exact capacity isn't mentioned, that I recall, but given the student population when Honor was an instructor and the "crush" to get into her class, I'd guess somewhere between several hundred to a couple thousand seats in the lecture hall. Honor would have been one of 10 or 20 instructors for Tactics 101, and probably only one or two classes meeting two days a week. (The other instructors probably have Three or four sessions a day for six to eight classes per week, or teach other tactics courses, too.)

Honor had rehab and the ATC to reorganize so she wouldn't have carried a full schedule as a Tactics 101 instructor.
Absolutely Harold, mirrors my little fish upstream.

Yet the period that Annachie fingers is when Honor herself was a student.

*Which also stirs up memories. This one wholeass of a professor in my lower junior year, Chemistry, lectures always started out in the auditorium. Some 75 - 100 students. By the end of the first week of instruction the number was cut by more than half. By the end of the first drop period that figure had been further whittled down to a small enough size to move into a classroom. By the close of drop season - two more drop periods in between - there were less than 15 brave souls remaining. Of those brave souls only 7 or 8 actually pass the course. Half of that 7-8 pass with Ds. I failed the course twice but passed the Lab (different instructor) before finally taking it at a neighboring Uni, and aced it. What a wholeass he was, even Chemistry majors were failing. I celebrated with tons of beer after the grapevine delivered unto me years later of his firing. And I think he had tenure.

Last edited by cthia on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Annachie   » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:23 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

A thought.

Universities down here tend to be huge lecture theatre with TA's running mych smaller tutes.

What better side activity for those doing the crusher course than being TA's for the tactics course.
And what better way to see how they perform as commanders than trying to teach snotty wannabee's the rudiments of tactics?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:42 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:A thought.

Universities down here tend to be huge lecture theatre with TA's running mych smaller tutes.

What better side activity for those doing the crusher course than being TA's for the tactics course.
And what better way to see how they perform as commanders than trying to teach snotty wannabee's the rudiments of tactics?

The limitation of that strategy is that only the instructor with his name on the syllabus is qualified for actual course instruction. If there are 241 students, "the" professor is still going to have to entertain each student in an actual lecture hall. After all, you don't want to sign up for Harrington's class and end up being taught the lecture by Santino's brother.

TA's here in America tend to be helpers, assistamts. typers, researchers, gophers, etc. They can set up labs in a limited capacity. Or filmstrips.

However, the equivalent of the lab in Fourth Form Tactics are the simulators. And you don't want anyone other than whose teaching slot you were aggressive enough to kill for in the first place, Harrington, attempting to teach that either.

You don't want a class requiring PH.D instruction being taught by a postgrad or Masters.

How it is made to work in your neck of the woods would be interesting.

Post by kzt   » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:20 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:A thought.

You don't develop a close personal relationship to the guy standing on the stage 80 feet away lecturing to you and you closest 240 friends.

Return to Honorverse